ok i have to admit this is me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

At least it's a doctor visit where you don't have to take your clothes off.
lol i am a guy, i dont mind being naked

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

At least it's a doctor visit where you don't have to take your clothes off.
You're not?
J/K

The one thing i really liked about my last dentist is that he knew how to handle a needle. I have a general fear of needles and for YEARS I refused to let one touch my gum nerves without me being under...not local...UNDER. Any drilling that was done I did without anything.

My last dentist would hold the needle in a way that it covered the majority of it...so I guess holding it from the top rather than the bottom like you see in the doctor's office.

I'm not sure how my new dentist is with lidocaine yet. Hopefully I don't have to find out soon.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

There's a dentist nearby me that has his practise dedicated to those that fear the dentist.

I was reading up his info online and basically he gives you laughing gas for your entire appointment.
Those CHEATERS!!!!!!!! I would go to the dentist willingly if I knew I would be drugged the hole time!!!! The dentist I've had for the last couple years is pretty awesome. She's very gentle, no one could be frightened by her!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Slightly O/T.
Do you have syncope with your MVP? ...supposedly that is common. And do you have any other problems at the dentist? Do they need to monitor your heart rate or blood pressure?
No they dont monitor my heart rate or blood pressure during my cleanings... Im not sure if I have syncope? That's a new word to me. Just know I have slight regurgitation. I often have palpitations and chest pains. I also have panic and anxiety disorder which is common with those with MVP. So you can imagine that I dont like going to the dentist. I dont mind the needles just the cleanings. Sorry for the hijack peoples!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Am I the only one who likes going to the dentist?
No you're not the only one, I like going too
But I've never had any fillings or anything so nothing to be scared of.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, but I'd rather go to the gynocologist than to the dentist (sorry Bruce, TMI?
). I didn't go for years...and I mean YEARS (as in, since I was in grade school) but I had to go 4 years ago to get 5 teeth pulled (yeah, I know, go figure
). It actually would have been 6, but the one tooth was abscessed and the infection was so bad that it actually pushed the tooth out by itself. The whole side of my face was swollen, and I had to go to the emergency room and be on antibiotics for a week before they could pull the rest.

It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The worst pain was the shots. After that, I didn't feel anything except pressure, but the sound of them prying the teeth out of my jawbone....ewwww!!! That is the stuff nightmares are made of!

The drugs I got were pretty good though, I basically slept for 2 days.

I need partials now because I have no bottom back teeth on one side, and no top back teeth on the other side, and I have an overbite so eating can be tricky sometimes. I figure the next time I go, I'll just get them all pulled and get dentures.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually work in a dentist's office (front desk, so not clinical, but I've learned some stuff over the past few months.) I've never heard of using lidocaine as an anesthetic. We use septocaine, which is decades newer than novocaine and far, far more effective.

Also, this past summer, the American Heart Association revised the protocol for people with heart conditions taking antibiotics prior to dental visits. People with MVP should no longer need to take antibiotics. They've decided the chance of a bad reaction to antibiotics and the consequences of the overuse of antibiotics far outweigh the chances of infection. You may want to have your dentist or cardiologist review this to let you know if you still need to pre-medicate.

Trouts mom, I, too, don't mind dental work either. I love having clean teeth and the only thing that bothers me is when I have to get a filling towards the back and the drill touches my front teeth- the vibrations drive me nuts!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

I actually work in a dentist's office (front desk, so not clinical, but I've learned some stuff over the past few months.) I've never heard of using lidocaine as an anesthetic. We use septocaine, which is decades newer than novocaine and far, far more effective.
I've had lidocaine and was supposed to have had carbocaine (mepivacaine) another time -numbness lasted too long so I suspect is wasn't.
What is typical practice for those who may be sensitive to epinephrine?

Originally Posted by trixie23

Im not sure if I have syncope? That's a new word to me. Just know I have slight regurgitation. I often have palpitations and chest pains. I also have panic and anxiety disorder which is common with those with MVP.
Are you sure it's anxiety? Orthostatic intolerance can be caused by MVP and one of the things you may feel is palpitations and chest pains - this happens to me when I've been standing for any length of time (15 minutes is usually enough to cause it). It can happen to some even when resting - heart rate goes up, person gets hot/sweaty feeling, blood pressure may swing high or low, may feel dizzy or lightheaded.
Doctors who don't know what they're seeing or being told usually say "anxiety". Look up orthostatic intolerance/dysautonomia and MPV.

Syncope is the technical term for fainting. I sometimes get this but usually get pre-syncope that doesn't cause full loss of consciousness or drop in heart rate.
(if you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me. People might be getting annoyed at the hijack
)

-Sorry this is O/T, but maybe it can be helpful to someone?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

Also, this past summer, the American Heart Association revised the protocol for people with heart conditions taking antibiotics prior to dental visits. People with MVP should no longer need to take antibiotics. They've decided the chance of a bad reaction to antibiotics and the consequences of the overuse of antibiotics far outweigh the chances of infection. You may want to have your dentist or cardiologist review this to let you know if you still need to pre-medicate.
That was a huge issue actually. My cardiologist decided that I didnt need to pre-medicate since Ive had MVP all my life and never got endocarditis, therefor the chances are slim. So I went to the dentist and he sent me away. He wont perform on any patient with MVP without them pre-medicating beforehand. He said most of his close cardiologist friends still highly believe in medicating while others do not. All I know is that is alot of pills to take I took between 1500 to 2000mg of antibiotics before going, which was harsh on my already disturbed digestive system.

strange_wings thanks for all the info. Ill just pm you so we dont hijack this thread anymore