OK - here goes. We're adopting a daughter and she needs prayers.

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Laurie, I'm so glad you are hanging in there. My guess is you have found some books to quide you, your husband and Naomi along the way. But I wanted to recommend a couple to help you with the possible bipolar disorder I'm a bipolar and these books have helped me tremendously, plus they have some wonderful advice for friends and family. The co-morbid issue (bipolar plus substance abuse) is adressed in both books.

Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families, by Dr Mark Mondimore (Johns Hopkins)

The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know, by David Miklowitz.

Don't give up Laurie. I've given up many, many times, but what has always kept me going was knowing that, my friends/family never did.

rugbykid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to hear she entrered the detox program and is safe. I hope she has the strength to stay clean after this, she certainly has a reason to.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, even though things didn't go according to plans (things in these cases rarely ever do) and she was m,ore the less forced ibto an inpatient facility, it may be a blessing in disguise. It took her a lot of courage to show up at a place like that despite what she did and that says A LOT about her character traits. She sounds like a really great person, who happened to have a very bad life.

One thing that I have noticed in each of your posts is that Naomi has consistently shown that she WANTS to change her life for the better. I think that that was a VERY important step for her, and she has shown that she REALLY wants this. She is bound to have doubts on whether or not she can. You and Gary can remind her of this important step she has clearly made and use it to help her through her doubts.

The three of you are in all of our prayers!

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, what an inspirational story.
I'm fairly new here, but thank you for sharing.

I actually cried reading your post (I don't cry a lot), at the thought of just how much you and your husband have done to help out Naomi, as well as other street youth. You have such a huge heart.

All the best, and keep us updated as to Naomi's status, and how your new family is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow - it's been such a long time since I've had the chance to do anything non work-related online. I MISS EVERYONE AT TCS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even remember where we were in the Naomi story....

Quick summary: she stuck out detox for four days, then decided she needed to do "methadone" detox. She transferred to a GREAT facility in upstate New York, where the lead psychiatrist was a pal of our Doc's at Harvard. He worked closely with her and her/our Doc, and she ended up being stabilized on Colonopin (for anxiety), paxil (mood stabilizer), seroquel (anti-psychotic), trazadone (anti-depressent and sleep-aid), and methadone (synthetic heroin, but you drink it). She did NOT stick out the inpatient program, but came back home after about a week and joined an out-patient methadone program. At first she basically slept all day (not a lot different than on heroin), but then she perked up, and was active in therapy and yoga. It was really touch for Gary and I to manage her, her schedule and work, which is why I haven't been around.

I passed one of the exams I needed for licenses for work. I take the second one Tuesday.

Anyway, things seemed to be going really well. Then about three nights ago I don't know what prompted it - she took her meds - but she got really, really depressed. We couldn't talk her out of it - she packed a backpack and headed back into the city two days ago. She's shooting again. We expected there would be false starts along the way. She's never been an adult not high, and her methadone doses were getting pretty low - she was only a couple of weeks away from finishing the program. There's not much we can do but wait, hope and pray.

Inside of Naomi is a truly beautiful and caring human being. I hope and pray she will become able to deal with life not high. It IS difficult, especially when you're not used to it, and she's never known any different. She's never had to manage a schedule before, she's never had to care about anyone else but herself before, and she's never had to do things she didn't really want to before (except go to jail several times). She seemed to be handling it all so well. We don't know what went wrong. She asked us to cancel all of her therapy and other appointments for the rest of the week. The hopeful news is that she asked us not to cancel anything for next week. So we've got our fingers crossed.....

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laurie, I saw you were on the site and was waiting for an update...You're missed here, too. Greatly.

Congratulations on passing your exam. The best of luck for the next on Tuesday

I still and always wish you and Gary the best with Naomi, and wish her the best, too. You've definately let us here on TCS see the wonderful person she is inside. I believe she's found the best parents to show her that side of her. Keeping you all in my thoughts.

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Laurie, glad you are hanging in there. Life is all about stops and starts, only for some of us it's more evident. I have a good feeling about Naomi. Just the fact that even in her worst of times she keeps in touch with you and your husband speaks volumes.
Congratulations on you license tests, and good luck on the ones to come.
Barbara

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Barbara - the way she keeps up with you and Gary does speak volumes. You two are both such caring individuals and Naomi knows it, but the whole concept is still new to her, after not having adults who have really truly and honestly cared for her. And those fits and starts are to be expected. My thoughts are with you all as she goes through this.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry honey, just breathe in. It is normal for "false starts" to take place... but the fact that all this has happened, is a VERY good sign.... Trust me, you and Gary are far more deserving of canonization than half the names in the Church's list.

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow I just saw this and I just wanted to say I hope she doesnt decide to cancel next week.. Im keeping my fingers crossed!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Laurie, just keep on keepin' on. It's a tough road you three have chosen to take, but you knew that going in. Love to all of you!
Couldn't have said it better

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations - I don't know how you managed to pass the exam with all that goingon! Good luck for the next one and also of course with NAomi.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on passing the test, and good luck for Tuesday's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a minor setback for Naomi.

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is the first time this thread was anywhere where I actually saw it. And I read it from start to finish, almost like it was a reality movie! And when I was reading about Naomi waiting to find out if she was HIV positive I found myself praying that she was not sick!
I want you to know that you are doing something that is beyond anything I have ever heard of, and that it truly seems as if Naomi was brought into your lives because she was meant to. The dream about the tattoo, all of it. And at least you realized what you guys, as a family, were up against!
I think that at some point in the future, after this has come to be resolved...which hopefully, will be sooner as opposed to later...maybe you could sit down, and take this post, and write a book to help parents going through this kind of thing. I am sure that there are thousands already, but there is just something touching about this situation. Maybe because your husband dreamed of her, and then there she was, maybe because you followed your heart and adopted a daughter that had a mulitude of issues, and knew what you were doing, as opposed to actual parents not wanting to deal with and be confronted by this sort of thing.
You truly are a gift from heaven to that little girl. And she knows it, but those demons that have control over her are going to make it difficult for you. Just stay strong, and stick by her and keep your faith.
My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you for a long, long time.

nuzzymom1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! That's about all I can say. I only just began reading this post. I'm going to go back and read all the pages later, but I read the 1st few and last few. I'm amazed that there are still people like you and Gary in this world. It's so rare to see anymore. I truely hope everything goes well for the three of you. I must say that reading this just makes me turn over in my head the thoughts of what kind of a parent I'm going to make since I'm having my baby this weekend. I can only hope to give her all the love and support you've shown this child who isn't even your own. I know I will do my best and am so very proud to be a part of a sight associated with such wonderful caring people!

Good luck to you all and I will definately keep you all in my prayers.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have also read this story for the first time. Started last night, finished tonight. All I can say is AWESOME!
This is so uplifting! I am sorry Naomi had a setback, but the way you stay optimistic is just amazing. You seem to be grounded in reality, but manage to continue believing in your new daughter.

At times, your comments take me back 22 years, to when I was a new mom to my newborn daughter. New parenting is difficult, but your comments do not sound like someone choosing to adopt or help out a forlorn kid. You sound like a loving parent who, like all parents, has no choice but to do your best for the child you love.

I am also a psych nurse. There are treatments for both bipolar and schizophrenia. And bipolar can involve breaks with reality during manic phases. (Although the drug use would be the main suspect until she is clean for a while.) She needs to get back on her meds as soon as possible, IMHO. She is lucky to have you.

I will be watching for updates. And how is Gary doing? I hope we hear good news (oh, how we all love a happy ending!) But honestly, if I never hear from you again, you have already blessed me by allowing me to share in this amazing story.