Oh My Aching Feet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my podiatrist appointment. I do not know if it was very beneficial though. It was a very quick and rushed exam. To be fair though, he was overbooked that day so had a lot of patients waiting.
I did learn that my feet are deformed. It was actually quite funny. He was speaking very quickly about bunions, hammer toes, and such and then he popped my x-rays onto the viewer and for a few moments was speechless. He finally was able to say "My God!" Then he began exclaiming about the width of my toe spread. He said he had only ever seen that in textbooks. He was really worked up about it. Honestly, I thought he was going to have a lie down afterwards to recover:lol:!
He wants me to come back in 6 weeks, but I am wondering if maybe I should try a different doctor. There were a few things that bothered me.

The office seemed a bit dirty and they made me walk barefoot to the xray room. Ewww.
When I said my job requires me to be on my feet all day, he told me to get another job.
He told me to drink tonic water for my foot spasms, but internet reasearch says that would not be helpful.
He spent a lot of time looking at my xrays, but didn't really look at my feet.
Told me to get a good, expensive pair of arch supports. He never explained why. (My pain isn't in the arches)
He rushed out of the room before I could ask any questions.
He didn't advise anything to help with the pain I am having in my toes and ball of my feet. (Maybe that is what the arch supports are for, he didn't explain)

So what do you think? Go back to him or try a different one?

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I would find a different doctor, as well.

One option to get wider shoes is to buy boys/mens sizes. That works for sneakers, walking shoes and boat shoes. I've found my size 8.5 womens feet fit well in a 6 or 6.5 youth boys' shoe.
Be certain to look for youth or teen boy sized-shoes as the number sizes for toddler shoes overlap.
I read somewhere that women's size minus 3 gives the men's size. Shoes that are two sizes down seem to fit me better. The boys/mens shoes are medium D width, and wide widths are fairly common.

My husband buys extra-wide shoes (EE OR EEEE) to suit his feet, and he is on his feet most of the day.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would go to a different podiatrist simply because he didn't take time with you. Arch supports can help even if the pain isn't in your arches. My main issue is painful calluses in places that people don't usually get calluses on their feet. The arch supports put the feet in proper alignment.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The flattened arch in my right foot doesn't cause pain in the arch, my pain winds up in the ankle and top of my foot. The supports do help, but it takes a long time to correct itself. I picked up some socks with arch support but I can't wear them at the same time as the inserts yet. It's too much support if that makes any sense.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sketchers are the only shoe I can wear that don't hurt my feet. My mother in law has a real problem too, her toes are all bent, and she has hammer toe. we found some nice looking MEN'S tennis shoes that she is getting compliments on because of the ugly shoes she always had to wear before. Men's are much wider, and there are many styles that can be interchanged between men and women. They also come in wide widths. You might also look into slippers taht look close to shoes, i wear my moccasins to the store at times because they are so comfortable!