Oh My Aching Feet!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have wide feet. I mean REALLY wide. For most of my life I have worn shoes that were too small. Then when I was in my 30's I discovered that New Balance made shoes in 6E width. That brought some relief for awhile, but I guess the damage had already been done. My big toe slants inward toward my middle toes. My two little toes are all twisted and lay on the side curling toward my middle toes. My feet are a mess. Now that I'm nearing 50, it seems that those 6E shoes aren't wide enough either. I'm on my feet at work all day and it hurts so much. Maybe arthritis is kicking in. I just can't find shoes any wider. I think the pain is making me a little crazy. I have even had dreams about cutting off the sides of my feet so the darn shoes would fit! Disturbing right? I even wonder if some of my leg and back pain is caused from me walking funny because of my feet.
Sorry for rambling but geez, it's getting really hard for me to put those torture chambers on my feet every day!:(

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Have you seen a doctor about your pain? Maybe they can help, and also recommend what you can do about your shoes (?). It's a shame that you have to suffer so much! I don't know how people can work standing all day. I know someone who has worked as a cashier since 1974, and she has plantar fasciitis. I'm so lucky that I sit all day. Please get some help for your poor feet!

Of course, I'm a fine one to talk: my left foot has been hurting for almost 2 months. It was getting much better until one of my cats banged into it on the staircase. I was walking downstairs, and Smedley was panic-running down the stairs and slammed into my foot. The past couple of days, it's really hurt along the arch area.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that you should see a podiatrist about your foot problem. I am so sorry you are suffering. I have worked jobs where you have to stand so I understand. There are probably some sort of special shoes you could get. My feet were hurting and my podiatrist diagnosed the problem and told me a certain brand of shoes to buy. The pain is very little now. My problem is more common,but still...
You have nothing to lose but the pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about seeing a podiatrist. In the mean time, switch shoes about halfway through the day. This will relieve the pressure points and make standing more bearable. I learned this trick from my father-in-law, who was a pharmacist who stood long hours.
Oh wow! I am going to try this today. I always take my luch hour sitting in my car so that I can take my shoes off and give my feet a break. It will be no problem switching shoes!
Yes, I have put off going to a doctor for too long. I will make some calls this afternoon to podiatrists. Fingers crossed that there is something that will help.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you're in America, so shipping would be expensive, but I have found a UK site that might have the perfect shoes for you - Wider Fit Shoes - Buy Stylish Wider Fitting Shoes & Footwear Online. Just a thought ;)

Definitely see a podiatrist too, as they'll be best placed to help you, and may well know of similar US shoes that will truly fit your feet. I hope you find some relief soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if Zappos.com has any shoes that are wider than what you are currently wearing? :think:

A podiatrist will definitely have some treatment options :agree: I saw a podiatrist a few years ago for a bunion that had become excruciatingly painful :cringe: We tried some shoe inserts and other options and when those didn't work, I opted for surgery to correct the bunion.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A podiatrist should be able to help. At least be able to point you toward the right shoes even if nothing can be done medically.

Do you think your shoes may be too small? The toes bending in makes it sound like the shoe is too small instead of not wide enough. Maybe a couple sizes up would give some relief.

This site says they have sizes up to 14E! ICS Shoes

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely agree with consulting a Podiatrist. I have large feet and when I was a kid I was told I had flat feet. After having kids my feet got even longer and wider. It's now really hard to find cute shoes.

A bit over a year ago I started having daily foot pain. Sometimes it felt like someone was driving a fat roofing nail into my heel and meds didn't touch the pain. :cringe: I finally told my doctor and an x-ray showed a small bone spur; so she sent me to a Podiatrist. Who sent me to Physical Therapy for Plantar Fasciitis.

It turned out to be one of the best things I've done for myself (even if they did make me do squats :lol:). I don't actually have flat feet; but my arches were collapsing. I found out my range of motion had become limited to only enough to stand! So no wonder hills and ellipticals left my leg muscles in so much pain! I also found out that it was likely the root of a knee and back injuries I'd had when I was younger.

So the exercise really did help. But now I'm also exploring arch supports. I had a fantastic summer foot-pain wise with a pair of Merrell brand sandals. Their customer support helped me figure out what level of arch support the sandals had. I also found a company that offers different level arch supports and they've been EXCELLENT helping me find the right fit for me. I'm using a different level of support in each foot at the moment.

So yeah; seeing a podiatrist made a world of difference for me! I've hiked on several different terrains in the last month and only once did my feet hurt! (Probably because I put my arch supports into too casual of a shoe for walking.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A podiatrist should be able to help. At least be able to point you toward the right shoes even if nothing can be done medically.

Do you think your shoes may be too small? The toes bending in makes it sound like the shoe is too small instead of not wide enough. Maybe a couple sizes up would give some relief.

This site says they have sizes up to 14E! ICS Shoes
I just found the ICS site yesterday, strangely enough, and I can't even express how excited I am! I have made an appointment with a podiatrist for two weeks from now. I will wait until I consult with him before I order the shoes though. I'm sure he can confirm the right size/width for me. I have always assumed that width is the issue because after about 2 months new shoes start bursting out on the sides. Toe boxes in shoes are always rounded, but my toe spread is just as wide as the ball of my foot. I suppose I have duck feet!:lol:

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I am so happy to hear you found relief! It has also boosted my spirits and made me feel much more optimistic about my upcoming podiatrist visit. I am feeling quite hopeful at the moment. If I can alleviate the pain it will be life changing!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have large feet and I was having issues with painful calluses so I went to a podiatrist. I have issues with some bones that are longer then they are supposed to be which is where the painful calluses were coming from. He trimmed the calluses and got me into some orthotics which line my feet up right. I still have had to give up on cheap shoes, I used to be a regular at Payless. I have found the best ones for me is San Antonio Shoemakers, SAS. They aren't cheap but they aren't outrageously expensive either. In the summer I usually can get by with the Sketcher's slip on shoes. They aren't a practical choice for the winter in Ohio though.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have on and off again pain on the top of my right foot which seems to be from a combination of fallen arches and pronating. I have a set of super feet inserts from Amazon that have helped a lot but it takes a long time to heal from it. Getting older kinda....s*cks. :gaah:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! I am going to try this today. I always take my luch hour sitting in my car so that I can take my shoes off and give my feet a break. It will be no problem switching shoes!
Yes, I have put off going to a doctor for too long. I will make some calls this afternoon to podiatrists. Fingers crossed that there is something that will help.
:vibes::vibes::crossfingers:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
RajaNMizu RajaNMizu My DH has worn Super Feet for years! He had an issue with a batch from Amazon being knock-offs but Amazon was good about correcting that. Hes more careful who the seller is now.

I use these on my feet too. I start with the Thereaband roller then the green ball. I use the lacrosse ball when I need something firmer. A tennis ball had too much give. These and the stretching I learned at PT help a lot! I don't roll as often as I did last spring but if I'm on them extra it can help me avoid a flair.
IMG_6164.JPG

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , the superfeet may be the only thing keeping me walking without too much pain these days. Do those balls have a name? I need some stocking stuffers...for myself. LOL

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , the superfeet may be the only thing keeping me walking without too much pain these days. Do those balls have a name? I need some stocking stuffers...for myself. LOL
Here is an Amazon link to the green ball. :) It's probably my favorite of the 3; but I like them best together so I can work up to a deeper foot rub. :thumbsup: