oh dear we just adopted a basset hound!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Odie came home to us!! He sniffed his way back to our backyard. The guy we adopted him turned into a real jerk and abused the poor dog. He dumped poor Odie on his mother and moved in with his girl friend who has Great Danes. Odie kept showing up in our backyard. We researched what was going on and took him back.

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh poor boy he was obviously happy at your home. Cats and dogs can get on together well and as he is older now hopefully he has calmed down a bit.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google basset hound forums. My ex had a basset and he was a good dog but there are tricks to training bassets because they are likely to be so stubborn they make you crazy. There is a really really really good basset forum somewhere out there Ill try and find it for you to post a link but he will eventually out grow that puppy stage because bassets are known for being lazy dogs unlike doxies who are psychotically hyper....Im gonna go look for that forum so you can get in touch with a lot more basset owners who can help you with Odie!!!

Best of luck with him they are such adorable dogs and really good once you get the training down.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found some the best one that I used to belong to is www.basset.net
There are some more
www.bassetsunlimited.com is the second on the search engine but I used to belong to the basset.net one. It was a good forum with tons of people on there who can help you with basset related issues especially training and stuff like that. If I remember correctly alot of people on that forum are pro-crate training. If done properly it can be your lifesaver with Odie.....Good luck keep us updated!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

Found some the best one that I used to belong to is www.basset.net
There are some more
www.bassetsunlimited.com is the second on the search engine but I used to belong to the basset.net one. It was a good forum with tons of people on there who can help you with basset related issues especially training and stuff like that. If I remember correctly alot of people on that forum are pro-crate training. If done properly it can be your lifesaver with Odie.....Good luck keep us updated!
Thank you very much!! I will go check those sites out right now!!!

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's one trick I've been doing with my puppy who we think is APBT... she acts like the breed and looks similar but is a stray mut so there is no real knowing. Shes declared as a terrier mix but anyway.

You need to be higher up in the pack then the dog. I had been having a hard time declaring my alpha status next to my boyfriend until we started this. When you feed the dog fill their bowl on a higher surface like a counter. Then act like you are eating from the bowl first. I've been using a bag of chips further up on the counter, and messing with the food then eating a few chips. Then I make Sadie sit about 4 ft away from the feeding spot, stay, stay, stay, stay, then I use the command ok after I have put the bowl down and walked away from the bowl. At first eye contact is key but now she knows the drill. Just this alone had made a world of difference. I'm sure dog forums will know more tricks...they are a great source of information.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Odie is doing pretty good. The best trainer I have found is our only indoor/outdoor cat(he adopted us a few years ago and he doesn't want any part of being a indoor cat) his name is BW. He acts like a garfield cat in everyway! Poor Odie has been trained by BW as if he were the lead pack dog. Odie will not go 4ft within BW's food dish while he is eating. It's really funny to watch!!
I think they are starting to like each other!!

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have enjoyed life with cats and dogs for the last 25 years. I could not live without either species!!!

I agree that dogs are a lot like little children. I do hope that you and Odie bond and you discover the joys of doggie love.

Since you are miles from a trainer perhaps you can check out some dog training dvd's. If your library does not have them see if they participate in inter-library loans - you can get stuff from all over the country.

It does sound like Odie has made progress with the cats. I hope this works out for everyone.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to check in a see how everything is going?

Bassets are a unique little breed, notoriously lazy and bullheaded beyond belief. If you happened to join up in either of those forums I hope they were able to assist you better with Odie.

estherrolle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After a bit of work, my dogs now ask my permission to join me on the sofa, and in particular, when there is a cat on the sofa with me. I don't want my dogs to ever push a cat around, and I also want them to understand that the cats come before them. A dog can be an absolute joy to live with, once you've gained their respect.

Customer Electronics