oh dear we just adopted a basset hound!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

This is day 2 of being a dog owner! I am letting my husband take charge of the dog so I don't undo anything he is trying to teach him. I am watching and learning.
If your husband is already experienced at training a dog that is the best thing you can do and BE CONSISTANT!! My work schedule is pretty set, but DH's is screwed up. Most of the time I get home before him, and I have a set routine for the dogs. I come home, let them out, let them back in for a treat (small milk bone or piece of cheese), then let them back out to run off some energy after being in their crates for the day (4 dogs, 3 big, 1 pug....and 7 cats). After they have been outside to play, I bring them in for dinner and make them sit before they can eat. That is normal for them. If DH gets home before me, he lets them out, brings them back in and feeds them in no specific order and DOESN'T make them sit. So the next day I have to start the training all over again.

Don't worry, cats and dogs can live together. I took me a while to rearrange my brain when DH first brought home Snickers (to a home with 6 cats). I was like you, I grew up with a dog but don't have a lot of experience with the actual training thing. I'm learning though.

You know cats have different personalities....dogs are the same way. It all depends on how they react to each other as individuals. Gizmo loves my pug, Buttercup (as you can see in my siggy), but can't stand my other dogs. On the other hand, Corky loves everyone and annoys the dogs to the point they just get up and move. It will take some time for everyone determine their "comfort zones" but it will happen.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You must establish yourself as alpha immediately, not just your husband, or Flash won't respect you which will eventually cause problems. Dogs are VERY good at knowing where they stand in the pack and you NEVER want your dog to think he comes before you. At this point, I would not allow him on your bed or any other furniture unless he is invited. He must know that YOU own the furniture, not him. Again, you are showing him that the humans are alpha. And everyone is right, NILIF (nothing in life is free) is a good way to teach this to a dog. Another important command to teach is Leave It, I use it for everything I want my dogs to leave alone. If one of my dogs is in a very playful mood and decides to run after a cat, the second I say the command he instantly stops. It's also good if the dog is outside and sees something that could be dangerous on the ground. I would definitely bring him to a trainer that does positive reinforcement and NILIF.

Don't worry about the cats, they will eventually come around. I foster cats and so far ALL of them accepted my dogs, even the ones that were terrified at first because they had never seen one. Before long most of them would rub against my dogs, even give them headbutts.

But like others have said, make certain you have safe areas throughout the house for the cats to take refuge in. High places that they can escape to when needing alone time. My foster room is a no dog zone. I keep a babygate up at all times so my cats can go over, but not the dogs. It's also another good way to do introductions. The cats can see and smell the dog up close, but feel safe knowing the dog can't get to them. You may also want to switch bedding so each can smell the others scent. Or just rub a clean towel over the dog and bring to the cats and vice versa.

I can't wait to see the pictures. Bassetts are so cute!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may also want to look around your area and see if there is a doggy daycare to let him run off some of that puppy energy while you are at work during the day!

I adore basset hounds! They are so goofy! My boyfriend had one but unfortunately he was a victim of the pet food recalls.

Make sure to keep his ears clean! Bassets are prone to ear problems! And I have noticed a lot can get overweight easily!

Good luck with him! Cant wait for pics!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flash has been renamed Odie!

This dog needs serious training. My husband has been working with him but is at work during the week. I have had my hours cut and home most of the week. Today I went outside to take out the trash. Odie bolted in the door and ran like a madman in the house. I had to catch him and take him back out. My cat jumped on my back with all nails out. Then on the way out the door Odie somehow slammed the door with me outside locked out! I need to learn how to be alpha because he is going to make my life miserable. My husband is so happy to have a dog and he has been so good to the cats that it would be unfair for me to give up on the dog. How do I show I am alpha person??

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would strongly suggest taking an obedience class. They will show you how to properly handle him, plus it builds a bond between you and the dog. If possible, both you and your husband should go. I would also contact a reputable Basset Hound rescue and see if they know anyone in your area, but also ask for their advice. Bassets can be a very stubborn breed and they will know the best way to handle him so he doesn't take over the house.

Basically you take away his rights. I would keep him leashed to me at all times while in the house and outside. This is one way to housebreak, if not already, so you can keep a constant eye on him. He has to work for everything - play time, toys, food, water, going outside/inside, etc. By keeping him leashed to you he will eventually learn that if he wants anything, it comes from you.

Do you have a crate? Crates are a great tool if used properly. He should be crated whenever you can't keep him leashed to you, when you're not home and when you sleep at night. Do NOT use the crate as punishment. You want him to enjoy being in his crate to the point he will use it on his own to sleep. Do not allow him in bed with you or on the couch with you, that comes later when he understands his place in the pack. Think of him as a baby where he needs to learn the most basic of rules. Don't have high expectations of where you think he should be or you will become frustrated very quickly. Have no expectations at this point. Some dogs learn quickly because they want to please, others can take a lot of work and time because you will have to earn their respect.

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.buckbasset.com/Goodpet.htm - check out the last paragraph

Here are some contacts in NE for BH rescue - http://bhrescue.com/us.html#NE

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definately recommend NILIF and take Flash to obdience classes ASAP.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fuzzmom

I would strongly suggest taking an obedience class. They will show you how to properly handle him, plus it builds a bond between you and the dog. If possible, both you and your husband should go. I would also contact a reputable Basset Hound rescue and see if they know anyone in your area, but also ask for their advice. Bassets can be a very stubborn breed and they will know the best way to handle him so he doesn't take over the house.

Basically you take away his rights. I would keep him leashed to me at all times while in the house and outside. This is one way to housebreak, if not already, so you can keep a constant eye on him. He has to work for everything - play time, toys, food, water, going outside/inside, etc. By keeping him leashed to you he will eventually learn that if he wants anything, it comes from you.

Do you have a crate? Crates are a great tool if used properly. He should be crated whenever you can't keep him leashed to you, when you're not home and when you sleep at night. Do NOT use the crate as punishment. You want him to enjoy being in his crate to the point he will use it on his own to sleep. Do not allow him in bed with you or on the couch with you, that comes later when he understands his place in the pack. Think of him as a baby where he needs to learn the most basic of rules. Don't have high expectations of where you think he should be or you will become frustrated very quickly. Have no expectations at this point. Some dogs learn quickly because they want to please, others can take a lot of work and time because you will have to earn their respect.

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.buckbasset.com/Goodpet.htm - check out the last paragraph

Here are some contacts in NE for BH rescue - http://bhrescue.com/us.html#NE
Great information! We are keeping him leashed to us in the house. He is learning that this is our house and not his. He is doing really good tonight and the cats are coming up to him to check him out. Today was an experience for me because he took advantage of my good nature and bowled over everything in the house when he bolted in. When he is with my husband he behaves. He is also leashed by him. I am the one that doesn't understand how to deal with a dog since I have only had cats for all these years. I don't know if this is right but tonight to keep him from over taking me I rolled up a newspaper and went outside. He actually healed and didn't jump all over me. I didn't have to do anything but carry the newspaper. If I have to do that till he learns not to jump on me and mess up my clothes I will. The cats are feeling more secure with him leashed at my husbands side and they are actually coming up to him. I really want this to work out and it will. I am just really dumb when it comes to dogs. I had bad exeriences when I was younger with dogs, and even family dogs. I got bit in the neck by our bull terrier when I was young and he killed my kitten. I was also bit on the lip by a dacshand too. I am just now learning how to love a stubborn basset hound.

All of you who have responded to my posts have helped me alot. I appreciate everything you tell me. I am clueless about dogs. As far as obedience classes go I will have to check areas that are close to me. Omaha is 250 miles away. I am far away from big cities that offer good classes. I have taken books out from the library on obedience training. I will contact the people on the list that you gave me.

Right now as I post Odie/Flash is leashed to my husband and sleeping on the couch. Tomorrow brings another day with Odie.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Today I went outside to take out the trash. Odie bolted in the door and ran like a madman in the house. I had to catch him and take him back out. My cat jumped on my back with all nails out. Then on the way out the door Odie somehow slammed the door with me outside locked out! I need to learn how to be alpha because he is going to make my life miserable. My husband is so happy to have a dog and he has been so good to the cats that it would be unfair for me to give up on the dog. How do I show I am alpha person??
The rule in my house: the dogs have to sit politely on their way in and out any door. When you go to take him outside, put on his leash, walk to the door and make him sit and completely calm down before you open the door. If he tries to pull you out the door, make him sit again. You are reinforcing your position with him when you do this consistently.

For now, remember: consistency, consistency, consistency, and NILIF.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now he doesn't see you as alpha, this is why he won't listen to you, only to your husband. Also, dogs are VERY good at sensing if you are tense, afraid, or 'weak' and will respond in kind. Even though we aren't aware we are giving off body signals, they will pick up on our energy. You must forget what has happened to you in the past or you won't be able to move forward. I know, a lot easier said than done, but he will pick up on it and see it as weakness.

My dogs have to sit for anything they want. I walk out the door before they do. Momofmany gave great advice, consistency, consistency, consistency...in other words...repetition, repetition, repetition. This means it may take you 10 minutes to walk out a door instead of 10 seconds. Until you get the behavior you want, he can't get what he wants.

Keep us informed on how it goes. And we are all still waiting for pictures!!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fuzzmom

Keep us informed on how it goes. And we are all still waiting for pictures!!
I will keep you all informed. I haven't dealt with him yet today! It's nice out and he is outside. I am going to go get film for my old camera and take pictures. I still have to post pictures of my shelter cat I adopted Christmas eve and now the dog!

I don't know if it's bad to change the dogs name after we got him but he is starting to get used to Odie! It fits him much better!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had to deal with Odie more than my husband since last post. He is actually minding me! The weather has been bad so he has been in the house. I swear this is like dealing with a little child. Some of my cats are getting curious about him and touching noses but still leary. Each day is getting better.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Believe me, before long they will be rubbing up against him. Even my most frightened foster cats came around to my dogs and would give nose kisses and headbutts. Yup, dogs are like children and have to be treated as such.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

How is Odie doing? (BTW I love the name!)
Thank you! We liked Odie better than Flash! I have an outdoor cat(originally a stray cat) named BW that we feed and take care of he acts like Garfield and tries to get poor Odie in trouble all the time. Odie is keeping BW at home more and now I've got him starting to come in the house at night.

Odie is another story! He is very stubborn and has a short attention span. Were working with him and it's been hard for me to adjust to a that dog acts up and gets rowdy with my cats when he is in the house. Thats a big no no for him to sniff them out and start rolling them over and nipping at them, He does respect BW because he tunes him up and lays down the law. He is a nice dog with horrible obedience issues. He is learning everyday and maybe a lightbulb will go off in his head and he will finally get the picture of what we are trying to teach him. Tonight was special because Odie went upstairs to his bedroom and asked to go in so he can bed down for the night. Each day is a new day with him and I will become attached to him as soon as he leaves the cats alone and quits trying to dig presents out of the litterbox to eat. That is so gross.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you! We liked Odie better than Flash! I have an outdoor cat(originally a stray cat) named BW that we feed and take care of he acts like Garfield and tries to get poor Odie in trouble all the time. Odie is keeping BW at home more and now I've got him starting to come in the house at night.

Odie is another story! He is very stubborn and has a short attention span. Were working with him and it's been hard for me to adjust to a that dog acts up and gets rowdy with my cats when he is in the house. Thats a big no no for him to sniff them out and start rolling them over and nipping at them, He does respect BW because he tunes him up and lays down the law. He is a nice dog with horrible obedience issues. He is learning everyday and maybe a lightbulb will go off in his head and he will finally get the picture of what we are trying to teach him. Tonight was special because Odie went upstairs to his bedroom and asked to go in so he can bed down for the night. Each day is a new day with him and I will become attached to him as soon as he leaves the cats alone and quits trying to dig presents out of the litterbox to eat. That is so gross.
I'm hopeless with dog advice so I can't really help but I know dogs do require a lot of patience and it's a long, hard road

My dog Chevy does the same with litter trays - I'll stack them all up at once to clean and I'll come back from grabbing another one and she'll be there with her nose in.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'm hopeless with dog advice so I can't really help but I know dogs do require a lot of patience and it's a long, hard road

My dog Chevy does the same with litter trays - I'll stack them all up at once to clean and I'll come back from grabbing another one and she'll be there with her nose in.
I honestly don't think I will ever be a dog person. Since my husband is and he puts up with 8 cats I have to learn to be more open minded. I feel like I'm dealing with a small child every time he is in the house. I see people with obediant dogs and the bond they form is wonderful. I just wonder if I ever will get that way. This is a work in progress everyday and sometimes I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall. The reason why the previous owners got him a new home is because they never worked with him and he has no manners. I'm even watching the Dog whisperer!!

Since i posted this Odie did a really funny thing while my husband was at our small town grocery store! Rick parked the truck in front and while he was in the store the horn started going off! He walked up front and saw the cashiers cracking up. Odie was standing on the horn honking for Rick to hurry up. Bassett Hounds have such a funny face with those silly ears! Rick told the cashiers Odie was just telling him to hurry up with his Milk Bones!!!

Hehe!!! That dog is going to grow on me yet!!!!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He got his Milk bones!

We are seeing alot of progress with Odie. He is starting to mind and the cats are starting to come up to him. Frankie my little abyssinian is rubbing against Odie!!! The only one that is reluctant is Zoey. She was checking him out tonight and got a lot closer to him. I can't wait for the day that I see them all laying together! Well maybe a few of them...

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He got his Milk bones!

We are seeing alot of progress with Odie. He is starting to mind and the cats are starting to come up to him. Frankie my little abyssinian is rubbing against Odie!!! The only one that is reluctant is Zoey. She was checking him out tonight and got a lot closer to him. I can't wait for the day that I see them all laying together! Well maybe a few of them...
*Update*
We had to rehome Odie to a very good man who didn't have cats. Odie started to get agressive with the cats when he was indoors. We really tried to work with him and I couldn't put my cats at risk. Odie is with somebody who loves basset hounds and will be able to work with him. Odie needed to be in a 1 pet owner home without kids or cats. I will miss him, We see the guy all the time so I will keep up with his progress.