Odor, Is that Pee or Just Litter Box

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have World's Best Cat Litter in a litter box upstairs. I live in a condo with one bedroom and an upstairs loft. Of course a living/dining room, kitchen, hallway and bathroom. I frequently smell something strong, but temporary. It is not really ammonia, but in that direction. It is maybe like urine in a litter box. I used the black light and cold not find fresh urine. I had the carpets cleaned with chemdry and P.U.R.T.

This smell is strange. It might be my cat or it may be that he just used the box. It moves around and comes and goes.

Strange I think.

I have posted this before, but my computer is right next to the litter box, and that World's Best Cat Litter definitely seems to have a strong odor ,but not ammonia or poop. Maybe corn with urine, but not straight urine.

I am trying to figure out if Thumper might like a friend, but I do not want the new cat to get any ideas from a smell.

Any thoughts.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tkaner

So I have World's Best Cat Litter in a litter box upstairs. I live in a condo with one bedroom and an upstairs loft. Of course a living/dining room, kitchen, hallway and bathroom. I frequently smell something strong, but temporary. It is not really ammonia, but in that direction. It is maybe like urine in a litter box. I used the black light and cold not find fresh urine. I had the carpets cleaned with chemdry and P.U.R.T.

This smell is strange. It might be my cat or it may be that he just used the box. It moves around and comes and goes.

Strange I think.

I have posted this before, but my computer is right next to the litter box, and that World's Best Cat Litter definitely seems to have a strong odor ,but not ammonia or poop. Maybe corn with urine, but not straight urine.

I am trying to figure out if Thumper might like a friend, but I do not want the new cat to get any ideas from a smell.

Any thoughts.
I can only add that MANY people say Worlds Best Cat Litter has an odd smell when used, but I really

If it does not smell like urine/ammonia and your not finding it with a black light, I would assume your cat is not having litter box avoidance issues.

Sorry I could not be more helpful, but the forum lacks "Smell O Vision"
. Maybe we can work on that for the future

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use this. The 5 litter boxes at home are lined up under a long cabinet. I hang the crystal in the middle and it works very well against odors.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is your boy? Is he neutered?

If old enough, and not neutered, this is prob the explanation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is 14 months old and fixed. The smell does seem to have gotten better.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I've always used world's best for a year, but some reason lately, I've been smelling the same thing and it's nasty. I even gave the box a good 100% cleaning and scrubbing, and it helped for a while, but I've started to smell it again after a week.

I am going to try a different brand and see if that makes a difference

annie_belle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Though I've never used World's Best cat litter, this post caught my eye...

For years I used Tidy Cats litter and was quite pleased. Then, I read a post where Arm & Hammer cat litter was spoken highly about...I bought it and slowly integrated it into Britches litter pan...with great result!

We like the "Double Duty" variety, which gives excellent odor control, good clumping, low/no scent, tons less tracking and dust....but the most important thing is that our cat likes it!

Good luck with getting your cat litter odor resolved...I know you and your cat will be glad.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise