October 29 is National Cat Day!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Today is National Cat Day. :happycat: https://www.nationaldaycalendar.com/national-day/national-cat-day-october-29

We all know that cats make excellent companions. This special day set aside for our lovable felines raises awareness and urges pet lovers to adopt from a local shelter. The day is also a reminder that neutering and spaying our furry companions helps reduce the abandoned population. National Cat Day originated in 2005 when Colleen Paige wanted to promote cat adoption. It encourages people to adopt cats from shelters and rescues, reducing the number of homeless felines and giving them their forever home. :catlove:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe this will educate others. My new friend has believed for years that cats can steal a baby's breath. I had the opportunity to explain to her that while I think it's a bad idea to leave any pet alone with a baby, that's just a myth.

I didn't realize it was National Cat Day. I must do something special for my fur babies!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe this will educate others. My new friend has believed for years that cats can steal a baby's breath. I had the opportunity to explain to her that while I think it's a bad idea to leave any pet alone with a baby, that's just a myth.
That myth has hung on for so many years. Yes cats gravitate to warm places to sleep so they will sometimes snuggle up with a baby to sleep. Not a good idea but not because the cat will 'steal' a baby's breath.

I think people are coming around more and more to adopting from a reputable shelter rather than buying from a pet store, few sell puppies or kittens anymore because they get a bad reputation doing that which means less business. Free kittens advertised are also far from free. They need all the basic vetting including spay/neuter and someone will pay more getting the basic vetting done than the adoption fee at a shelter.