October 2023 book of the month club - 4 year anniversary / final month – Choose Your Own from “100 Books Everyone Should Read” list

It's the final book club month, after 4 years. Are you planning to join us this last time?

• yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • no

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • maybe

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1693743842707.png

This month is going to be a bittersweet one, as though October marks our 4th year anniversary, which calls for a celebration, regrettably it will also be our final book club month under this format.

Deciding to end the book club was a difficult decision, however, over the past several months we watched participation dwindle, as the novelty of reading the same book at the same time seemed to have run its course.

Since making the announcement, we’ve received feedback from members expressing disappointment. So we’re now pondering the possibility of bringing back a revamped version at some point in 2024. Maybe a read every three months, with a different theme each time.

Back to October, we’re doing another “Choose Your Own”, where this time our fellow TCS readers get to choose a book off of the “100 Books Everyone Should Read” list.

There’s several similar lists out there, but we chose this one as it seemed to have the greatest variety to choose from, including several we’ve read over the past 4 years.

Here's the link to the list of books: 100 Books Everyone Should Read | BOOKENDS
If anyone is unable to access the site, just let us know and we can list the books here.

The reading period will be October 1st to October 21st, with the review/discussion starting on October 22nd.

Everyone is invited to to join us in this final book club month. You can RSVP by posting in this thread. And once you've decided on the book you're going to read, feel free to post the title. It will be interesting to see which books everyone chooses.

You've probably noticed we've included a poll this month. It's a simple "yes", "no", "maybe" one, and since votes are anonymous, don't worry if you vote "no" or "maybe". But hopefully "yes" will win. Poll will be open till October 15th, so loads of time to make up your mind.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure I'll make it officially; but I see the novel for DD's Literature curriculum this year is on the list (Night by Elie Weisel) so I might go ahead and make myself read it. The lessons are streamed so I don't HAVE to; but it might be good to know what shes reading because it sounds like a heavier read to me. She doesn't seem to be as affected by things like that so maybe I don't have to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Out of 100 books in the list I'm sure I'll
find one :)
Or 2 or 3 or more. :)

Aww sorry that you're ending it, you seemed to enjoy it! I was gonna try it one month, but there were too many posting rules, with my anxiety I would just mess up the thread. Anyway, enjoy your final book!
I did enjoy it. But it had run its course. Sorry you didn't get a chance to join in, but it's not too late. The Sep and Oct months, are both ones where everyone will be reading a book of their own choice, so we won't have to follow any sort of posting rules. So maybe see if you can find a childhood/YA book for Sep, or one of the 100 books for Oct that might interest you. We'd love to have you join in before the end. And rest assured they'd be no way to mess up the thread. Good to see you, btw. :)

I’ve read many of those. I have to choose whether to reread or read new! :lol:
I've read many of them too, and since I don't generally do re-reads, I'll be reading new. :read:

I'm not sure I'll make it officially; but I see the novel for DD's Literature curriculum this year is on the list (Night by Elie Weisel) so I might go ahead and make myself read it. The lessons are streamed so I don't HAVE to; but it might be good to know what shes reading because it sounds like a heavier read to me. She doesn't seem to be as affected by things like that so maybe I don't have to.
Just googled that book, and it does sound like heavy content for a school read. Looks like it's book one of a trilogy, and only 120 pages, so shouldn't be a long read though. If you do read it, be sure to stop on by and post a short review. You could always choose another book of the list for your Oct read. ;)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read several of them, and pretty sure I have some around for a reread. Or maybe try one I haven't read yet if I can find it free or cheap.

One of the main reasons I never joined was because the books were too expensive (for me). I did look sometimes on the library app, but more often than not they didn't have it. I tend to not read the types of books that were featured here, as a lot of them seemed to be mysteries. I did enjoy reading people's reviews.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just googled that book, and it does sound like heavy content for a school read. Looks like it's book one of a trilogy, and only 120 pages, so shouldn't be a long read though. If you do read it, be sure to stop on by and post a short review. You could always choose another book of the list for your Oct read. ;)
I guess I feel like if she’s going to have to read it; I should too. 😅 I did see quite a few I’ve read before or could enjoy more. I’m a little surprised at the choice myself. We read a play version of Diary of a Young Girl at her age but in class. It was definitely…gentler. I’ll think on it for a few days!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have read several of them, and pretty sure I have some around for a reread. Or maybe try one I haven't read yet if I can find it free or cheap.

One of the main reasons I never joined was because the books were too expensive (for me). I did look sometimes on the library app, but more often than not they didn't have it. I tend to not read the types of books that were featured here, as a lot of them seemed to be mysteries. I did enjoy reading people's reviews.
Hope you'll either have one already, that you can reread, or can find another either at your library or somewhere free/cheap. Some of the older classics are on Project Gutenburg, so you could always look there.

I guess I feel like if she’s going to have to read it; I should too. 😅 I did see quite a few I’ve read before or could enjoy more. I’m a little surprised at the choice myself. We read a play version of Diary of a Young Girl at her age but in class. It was definitely…gentler. I’ll think on it for a few days!
Our book club choice for July was The Book Thief, and though it took place in Germany, and did of course touch on the atrocities, it also was a gentler read. The one your DD has been assigned to read seems like it will be a tougher read.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
O JOY, O BLISS! I was just thinking earIier today that it was about time for a re-reading of the OutIander series, and what popped up on the 100 Books Iist but...OUTLANDER! I'II just put off starting it untiI the first of October!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aww sorry that you're ending it, you seemed to enjoy it! I was gonna try it one month, but there were too many posting rules, with my anxiety I would just mess up the thread. Anyway, enjoy your final book!
I don't think you'd mess it up at all!
Out of the 100 listed, I wish I could read them all. So many great titles in that list, but I'll pick one...or two...or 10!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I re-read the Giver a few years ago and enjoyed it every bit as much as I did when I was in school and read it for the first time. If I can't find it online, I usually pass it up unless I *really* want to read it, but even purchased from a discounted online store, books can add up in cost. Openlibrary.org used to have a lot, but they seem to have taken a lot down.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
O JOY, O BLISS! I was just thinking earIier today that it was about time for a re-reading of the OutIander series, and what popped up on the 100 Books Iist but...OUTLANDER! I'II just put off starting it untiI the first of October!
As long as Hekitty doesn't tell on you, there's no reason why you can't start a bit before October. Especially since Outlander is a really long read.

Out of the 100 listed, I wish I could read them all. So many great titles in that list, but I'll pick one...or two...or 10!
Good luck narrowing it down. :)

I re-read the Giver a few years ago and enjoyed it every bit as much as I did when I was in school and read it for the first time. If I can't find it online, I usually pass it up unless I *really* want to read it, but even purchased from a discounted online store, books can add up in cost. Openlibrary.org used to have a lot, but they seem to have taken a lot down.
Anyone who can borrow ebooks from their public library, check to see if your library is affiliated with Hoopa. If they are, it's another place to borrow ebooks, and if they have the ebook, there's no wait times involved. https://www.hoopladigital.com/

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as Hekitty doesn't tell on you, there's no reason why you can't start a bit before October. Especially since Outlander is a really long read.
HonestIy? "OutIander" is about a 3-4 day read for me. It took me 6 days to read it the first time, but this wiII be the...7th tine? Something Iike that. I binge the entire series at Ieast once every other year. I read very fast, with a good retention rate. There are passages in "OutIander" that I can read the first sentence, and then aImost quote the rest of the scene. This is what happens when you grow up in a neighborhood where aII of the kids are either 4 years oIder or 4 years younger than you are. You become a voracious reader!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HonestIy? "OutIander" is about a 3-4 day read for me. It took me 6 days to read it the first time, but this wiII be the...7th tine? Something Iike that. I binge the entire series at Ieast once every other year. I read very fast, with a good retention rate. There are passages in "OutIander" that I can read the first sentence, and then aImost quote the rest of the scene. This is what happens when you grow up in a neighborhood where aII of the kids are either 4 years oIder or 4 years younger than you are. You become a voracious reader!
I used to knock off several Baby-sitters Club, Sweet Valley Twins, or American Girl books per night! I loved ever minute of it, too :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to knock off several Baby-sitters Club, Sweet Valley Twins, or American Girl books per night! I loved ever minute of it, too :)
WeII, to be sure, I am both retired and disabIed (didn't get disabIed untiI after retirement), so going and doing are beyond me. MOST of my Iife is within my apartment, so books, computer, tv!