Obsessed with Water

snp81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens I found a few months back seems to be obsessed with water. I've never seen anything like it.

If my wife or I take a shower & close the bathroom door he sits outside & screams until one of us open the door for him. He then proceeds to jump up on to the side of the shower & as soon as were done he jumps in to the shower. The other day he jumped in to the shower while my wife was in there & he got all full of shampoo.

The other thing he does, which was driving us nuts last night, is he like to splash in the dogs water bowl, splashing water all over the floor. Last night we heard the splash-splash-splash & we go downstairs & there he is, almost sitting in the water bowl!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday does it too. He's absolutely fascinated with it. I'm betting it will wear off some on your kitten but if he's like Friday, it will be really easy to give him a bath if he ever needs one. They get interested in figuring out what it is and don't mind being wet as much as other cats do!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lynxx used to take showers with me when he was younger. He loved the water, he wasn't afraid of the noise or anything. That lasted until he was about 2 or 3. I had always thought cats were afraid of water, until I met Lynxx. He'd either sit on the side of the tub and paw at the water, sometimes he used to jump under the running water. I always found it amusing, thinking he was a strange little guy back then.

garyganoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try letting a water faucet drip. Maybe he will play with the dripping water rather than the dog's water bowl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snp81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by garyganoo

Try letting a water faucet drip. Maybe he will play with the dripping water rather than the dog's water bowl.
They are not allowed on the counter. We find it funny, except when my wife has to get up close to midnight to mop the floor cause he's spilled water everywhere.

brooklet425

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one like this too
. She also screams outside of the bathroom door until I let her in. We have clear sliding doors on our shower so she can't get in while someone's in there but she'll sit right next to it and swat at the water droplets that gather on the glass, or just stare with her head tilted to the side (which is adorable - it looks like she is seriously thinking about something important or contemplating something big). I think its hilarious until she runs into the shower as soon as I open the shower door, and before I ever get out of the shower starts purring and rubbing against my legs. I spend every morning saying "Please don't dry me off!" I love when my cats are lovable, but I don't like cats rubbing against me when I'm soaking wet!

I'm interested that someone said this made their cats like taking baths. Mine could really use a bath but I've been hesitant because I think the water obsession is adorable and I don't want to scare her away from it.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats outgrow liking water. My Claude kitty loved water until he went to the bridge after a stroke at 15 years old. He would sit on the side of the tub while you were showering so that he would get wet from the mist coming off the shower head and then he would stick his head in the shower. He also loved to drink hot shower water drizzled off your hand and getting soaked in the process. He never jumped in the tub. When he was a baby the apartment I was in had a walk in shower and him and his liter mates all used to get in the shower. I still have his brother Tegato taking showers pretty quickly.

I actually posted a picture of Claude taking a shower in my goodbye to him.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brooklet425

I'm interested that someone said this made their cats like taking baths. Mine could really use a bath but I've been hesitant because I think the water obsession is adorable and I don't want to scare her away from it.
I wouldn't say Friday likes baths but he is without a doubt my easiest cat to bathe because initially he's so fascinated with watching the water that he lets me get through the first soak and shampoo before he starts to wriggle. In his case, it hasn't detracted from his interest in water at all.