Nothing like a trip to the ER on Christmas!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently I picked up some sort of intestinal virus. I started feeling sick early yesterday. The diarrhea started around 2pm. The violent vomiting started around 6pm. By the time bedtime rolled around, they were both uncontrollable and I was becoming very weak and delirious from the dehydration.

My brother took me to the ER. I spent about 3-4 hours hooked up to the IV getting fluids and meds before they let me go home. Normally I'm just the "grin and bear it" type, because the ER is SO expensive, even with insurance. But last night, I honestly don't remember the last time I was that sick and was more than willing to go.

I feel quite a bit better this morning, but had to stay home from work. He wrote me off for 2 days, but I plan to go in tomorrow. I don't have sick days to use and can't afford to miss another one.

Could use some vibes that this is all cleared up by morning!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor you! No fun at all!

Hope you are feeling yourself soon.

Be careful about going back to work too soon. You could just end up having a slower recovery and missing more work.

But only you can really know if you feel up to it or not.

Get well!

Robin

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of get well soon vibes hun!
A LOT of people seemed to pick up bugs the past few days from what I've been hearing.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No fun to spend Christmas in the ER. I had kidney stones on Thanksgiving one year and it was a holiday I'll remember forever. I hope you get better soon!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it was just a norovirus. Typically, though, anyone showing up in the ER with symptoms like yours will be diagnosed and treated for a norovirus (with no tests) even if that's not what they have. In which case it can be the wrong treatment that makes you much sicker.

Did they suggest pepto to you? In situations where there is gastroenteritis (stomach inflammation) it can help. It gets overlooked because it's been around for so long, but there's a reason why it has and is still a good OTC remedy.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. Make sure to keep up on your fluids.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man that sucks! I was in the ER the day after Christmas last year, it was no fun
I hope you get better soon and I understand going back to work

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm usually always sick on Christmas. So I know how it ruins the day. When I was little I always had an ear infection. Back in 2006, I was sick from the day after Thanksgiving to the day after New Year. The doctors had no idea what it was.

I hope you feel better soon!

lady rowan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh no! Seems like a lot of people were sick this holiday unfortunately. My BF included (he thinks strep).

I hope you feel better

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No matter what day it is, spending time in the ER is no fun, but on Christmas, it particularly a bummer! But it's a good thing that you at least had someone to take you there

Hope you're feeling better real soon.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a family member at the hospital this Christmas.
Get well soon.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It sounds awful. I hope you're feeling better soon. Take it easy though. We don't want you have to do a repeat performance.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh the ER isn't fun EVER - but especially not on Christmas! I am SO sorry sweetie! Glad you're feeling better, but...

you feel well enough to work and that 2011 is a MUCH better year!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone

Have been sleeping pretty much all day. Still feel weak, but much better. They did send me with some prescriptions, my brother is picking them up now at the pharmacy.

Last time I was sick on Christmas was about 7-8 years ago. I had pneumonia and ended up staying there for 4 days, so at least this time it was just a few hours and got to go home!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I hope it was just a norovirus. Typically, though, anyone showing up in the ER with symptoms like yours will be diagnosed and treated for a norovirus (with no tests) even if that's not what they have. In which case it can be the wrong treatment that makes you much sicker.

Did they suggest pepto to you? In situations where there is gastroenteritis (stomach inflammation) it can help. It gets overlooked because it's been around for so long, but there's a reason why it has and is still a good OTC remedy.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. Make sure to keep up on your fluids.
I second that (on Pepto)! It's a wonder drug, IMHO. I've had gastroenteritis, and was very sick from it--for a month--with a low-grade fever all that time. My period lasted 3 weeks, and I had a pelvic and bladder infection with it. Pepto certainly helped, after a few days of it. All because of that stupid Mexican restaurant and the guacamole I ate (I think!)...(This was in 1995, BTW)

Immodium is also great for the runs. I once had a stomach virus; I went to the bathroom 22 times that morning. Even my beloved Pepto Bismol didn't help! My Mom had Immodium in the house, and suggested that. Trust me, IT WORKS!

I hope you're feeling better soon, but, as others said, don't rush your recovery.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Immodium is also great for the runs. I once had a stomach virus; I went to the bathroom 22 times that morning. Even my beloved Pepto Bismol didn't help! My Mom had Immodium in the house, and suggested that. Trust me, IT WORKS!
Always talk to a doctor and have a stool test done before using any stronger anti-diarrheal medicine. In a intestinal bacterial infection they can cause a deadly build up of toxins in the intestines. While dehydration is bad, destroying your liver (and other organs) is very dangerous.
For a viral infection, it's safer, but again that needs to be confirmed via stool tests to rule out bacteria.

In any case, if the OP is still having any cramping or loose stools tomorrow - go see your regular doctor! Get a stool test done, it can save your life if it's bacterial.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you're feeling better and stronger sooner. Christmas in the ER is no fun, I know. One Christmas Eve I managed to severely strain my gluteous maximus trying to move a piece of furniture. I drove myself to the ER at 2 o'clock Christmas morning while everyone else was asleep. They gave me some strong pain pills; I truly don't remember that Christmas at all.

Anyway, hope you're all better soon!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Not a fun way to spend Christmas, or any other day. Lots of healing