Not to beat a dead horse, but this food thing again!

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by NewtoCats
When did I ever say that people that feed their cats Iams are "bad pet owners"? I was simply stating my opinion that when a cat food, that is considered a "premium" brand, is more than 20% filler, it is "crap" in my book. Does that mean that your cat won't live to be 102 on it? Of course not.

This is a public message board. I wasn't trying to be impolite by stating my opinion on a brand of cat food that isn't really what it is cracked up to be. I'm sorry if you or anyone else was offended by my post...but I am not sorry for what I said. And I will continue to state my opinion in the future.

Other peoples' opinions have shaped how I view my cat's nutrition. I don't take other peoples' opinions to heart necessarily, but it does feed a fervent urge to really learn what makes up the food that I feed my animals.
As are you I stated my opinion, and noone is attacking you for your opinion. We all have our own views on things that is all.
by Tuxedokitties I thought this was a rumor that has been disproven?
From everything I have read about that is has been disproven

newtocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with you that we all have the right to our own opinions. But I would never, unless they were obviously out of line, tell someone that they were being "impolite" by stating their opinion.

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Iams Company Research Policy

Like humans, our canine and feline companions are faced with many threats to their health. Millions of cats and dogs around the world suffer from allergies, skin and gastrointestinal diseases, kidney failure and painful bone problems.

At The Iams Company, we work hard to advance scientific understanding of how nutrition can help pets resist and recover from such diseases, and how this understanding helps optimize their health so they can lead happier and longer lives. Research plays a key role in accomplishing these goals.

Our research is governed by the following principles.

1. The results must help veterinarians and pet owners worldwide nutritionally enhance the well-being of cats and dogs, and manage important pet health conditions.

2. Studies will only be conducted if alternative, non-animal methods or existing research cannot answer the questions raised.

3. We will ensure the humane treatment of cats and dogs, and provide for animal well-being, socialization and husbandry in a manner compatible with the company's philosophy, creating a total culture of care. We will also meet or exceed standards established by the Animal Welfare Act of the US, the US Department of Agriculture and Directive 86/609/EEC of the European Union.

4. We will not fund or participate in any study requiring or resulting in the euthanasia of cats or dogs. We will only conduct research that is equivalent to nutritional or medical studies acceptable on people, including: urine, feces, blood and immune cell analysis, allergy tests, and skin and muscle biopsies, for which adequate anesthesia and analgesics will be provided whenever necessary.

5. Research will be closely monitored at internal and external facilities - with the goal being to eliminate even minor pain or discomfort and to create enriched environments for the cats and dogs involved. To enforce this principle, Iams will place, at these facilities, a company-designated and funded person responsible for ensuring the well being of cats and dogs. This trained, qualified person will follow guidelines used at the Paul F. Iams Technical Center to make certain that cats and dogs are properly cared for and socialized.

6. We will test our foods on groups of cats or dogs within the general population who already suffer from target diseases or conditions. However, we will not contract for, nor conduct, any study involving surgeries to create or mimic diseases such as diabetes, stroke, heart disease, kidney disease, or intentional damage to other organs; nor will the company use non-surgical methods to induce or simulate diseases that are not acceptable in nutritional or medical research on humans; nor will the company fund any university positions that may be involved in such activities for the study of cat and dog nutrition.

7. We will not use, in any studies, animals that are already induced with disease or surgically altered through other research; nor will the company conduct such studies under the auspices of any industry association or group.

8. Our findings will be communicated to benefit others who are seeking to improve the health and well-being of cats and dogs, and to help prevent repetition of tests requiring animal involvement.

We are proud that we have led breakthroughs in the health of cats and dogs, and we are committed to continuing this tradition with the principles outlined here as our guide.

There you have it, IAMS still tests on animals.

newtocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Crazy, thanks for posting that...disturbing as it is. It looks like they definitely do test on animals. What a total shame.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where in that statement does it say that they are performing horrible tests on cats, kittens, and pregnant cats, and that they are killing them?

Did you read the entire statement? I don't see that in there.

Not to change the subject too far, but without some sort of humane animal testing, we wouldn't have diets for cats with kidney disease, or cats with allergies, or even know about urinary stones. Don't get me wrong, I am strongly against cruelty to animals in any form, but (judging solely from their statement - I'm certainly not an Iams employee and don't know anyone who is) it sounds like their testing is done in a humane manner. I certainly hope that it is. Humane testing can and has prevented suffering to many pet cats in the long run.

There are important connections between diet and pet health - the connection between diet (taurine insufficiency) and health defects such as dilated cardiomyopathy and retinal degeneration, the connection between diet and struvite or oxalate stones in the bladder was made relatively recently, diet and kidney disease, diet and allergy, etc.. Research is being conducted trying to find the cause of feline hyperthyroidism - it might have a diet connection also.

Even if you provide a home-cooked diet for your pets, taurine supplementation is necessary to prevent health consequences. Until the day when we can get a diet for our cats made up of foods they would eat in the wild (insects, mice, lizards, rabbits, pigeons, you-name-it - I honestly don't think cats in the wild eat lamb or beef), and if it turns out even that is healthy, we must rely on products that either were tested on animals (hopefully in a humane manner) or who say they do not test on animals, but who nonetheless make use of information learned by those who did.

Off my soapbox, I will say that for personal items and cosmetics, etc., I try to stick to products that aren't tested on animals. I hope the Science Diet I feed has a good policy - I'll have to check up on that now.

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tess,

Hill's Pet Nutrition declared a moratorium! I am happy to say that Science Diet no longer tests on animals, but "moratorium" means temporarily, so they could start up again. Hopefully, they will never test on animals again.

aimee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by NewtoCats
I totally agree with you that we all have the right to our own opinions. But I would never, unless they were obviously out of line, tell someone that they were being "impolite" by stating their opinion.
Yes, but I wasn't replying to your post. I wasn't offended by anything on this board, but I still don't think it's very polite to just say that one food is crap like you (general you) know all. It's good that you (again, general you) have opinions, we all learn from each other and that's the great thing about message boards, but there are more subtle ways to express them, JMHO. Iams isn't my first pick either based on ingredients, but I can't ignore its results I get on it. Sorry for the confussion.

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our vet recommends a primarily wet-food diet (I've heard there are teeth issues - we brush Tiki's teeth) - Max Cat wet seems pretty good.

The first 5-6 ingredients are either meat, liver, fish or broth. Both cats love it (though our adult cat still scratches at the garbage can while eating - I think he's trying to bury the smell).

We supplement with L-Lysine because of Tiki's feline herpesvirus bout...

MAX CAT Chicken and Liver (kitten)
Ingredients
Chicken Broth, Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Beef Liver, Cod, Ground Rice, Dried Egg Product, Guar Gum, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Carrageenan, Sodium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Taurine, Iron Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Copper Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.

MAX CAT Adult Ocean Fish
Fish Broth, Cod, Beef Liver, Turkey, Chicken, Beef, Rice Bran, Ground Rice, Guar Gum, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Sodium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Carrageenan, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE Nutro wet food, well my cats do anyway. I like the gourmet wet food and the max cat. It has much better ingredients than most wet foods. I also love the new Gourmet Kitty treats that Nutro makes!