Not sure what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I was able to get one kitten out.  One of my neighbors sent their son down and and could only find 1 kitten.  I can hear at least one other kitten meowing.  I also got some replacement milk and fed this one.  It is tiny - not too thin but definitely not eating too much.  Is there a way to gauge if they have been eating?  I can feel its tiny little ribs.

I was also wondering if momma would have anything to do with it if I reintroduce them?  Momma will be back around 5:00 to eat again. 

I'm guessing they are about 3-4 weeks old.  Its eyes are open and have color (amber not blue) and I put it down on the ground and it can walk around even though he is wobbly.   He's been screaming since we pulled him up and I finally just wrapped him in a blanket and held him till he went to sleep.  He finally quit crying!  : )

I'm going to keep trying to get the others that are under there.  I do have a neighbor that helps me do things but he HATES that I feed the cats so I'm sure he will let me know about this.  I also sent out emails to several new rescue sites I found online to see if they can help me. 

An update on momma cat...  she seems to be doing much better today.  She ate pretty well this morning - not turning her nose up and walking away.  I spoke with the vet at Petsmart and she told me to put a little of the replacement milk in her food to help her.   I also purchased some stuff for fleas so I hope I can get some of the fleas off of her.   Thank you everyone for the help.  I am so glad I don't have children - I would be a wacko mom! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray! Now we just need the other kitten today! This is such good news!

The kitten needs to be fed a good 2 to 3 ml's of formula with a syringe (needleless) every 2 hours to thrive. Probably not getting enough milk from mom. Rub its belly to stimulate digestion, and tap its little behind with your fore finger after every feeding to stimulate it to go wee and poo. They cannot go on their own yet.

Kitten must be kept warm. Put a heating pad on low under its blanket, or use a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel, or a sock filled with rice, microwaved for 5 minutes and wrapped in a towel and placed nearby, with room for kitten to move away if it gets too warm. Try to find a box or plastic tub that is big enough for kittens and mom to nurse.

Try to bring mama kitty in at 5. If she won't let you pick her up, show her the kitten and hope she follows in the door. If you do not have the other kitten later, leave mama out to feed it.

Use the neighbor, even if he fusses. Really need to get the other kitty asap. Tell him you are trying to stop the strays by befriending and spaying.

I am proud of you! You are doing a great job! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Well, I was able to get one kitten out.  One of my neighbors sent their son down and and could only find 1 kitten.  I can hear at least one other kitten meowing.  I also got some replacement milk and fed this one.  It is tiny - not too thin but definitely not eating too much.  Is there a way to gauge if they have been eating?   I can feel its tiny little ribs.

I was also wondering if momma would have anything to do with it if I reintroduce them?  Momma will be back around 5:00 to eat again. 

I'm guessing they are about 3-4 weeks old.  Its eyes are open and have color (amber not blue) and I put it down on the ground and it can walk around even though he is wobbly.   He's been screaming since we pulled him up and I finally just wrapped him in a blanket and held him till he went to sleep.  He finally quit crying!  : )

I'm going to keep trying to get the others that are under there.  I do have a neighbor that helps me do things but he HATES that I feed the cats so I'm sure he will let me know about this.  I also sent out emails to several new rescue sites I found online to see if they can help me. 

An update on momma cat...  she seems to be doing much better today.  She ate pretty well this morning - not turning her nose up and walking away.  I spoke with the vet at Petsmart and she told me to put a little of the replacement milk in her food to help her.   I also purchased some stuff for fleas so I hope I can get some of the fleas off of her.   Thank you everyone for the help.  I am so glad I don't have children - I would be a wacko mom! 
How are you feeding the kitten?  Its eating himself or do you use a syringe?   Tummy down, head up, in the corner of the mouth, cautiously - burp afterwards.

The trick to be sure is to weigh them on a electronical scale every day,  in necessary every 12 hours.   Easiest to read off if the scale is in grammes.  If they gain 10g+ a day, its good.

You can surely borrow a scale from a neighbour.

If the kitten is too big for a scale, you can have it in a plastic container of some sort, and weight it inside this container...

Yes, somebodys friendly son or daughter is the trick to get into tight underground...   And they perhaps dont even ask for payment, or take some favor instead.

Re the neigbbour - explain you are planning on getting them all spayed, it will make things easier for all the neigbourhood...   Compare with the TNR, and read on it if you like.  :)

Momma will perhaps accept again the kitten - BUT what version are you thinking on?  You shall surely not let the kitten out again, as you have it already inside, on good way to be socialized and with time, an fully adoptable kitten?

But if you plan on taking in the mom, yes, you can probably reunite them...

Im happy you are finding solutions, and the tide seems to have turned now for you.

Most people are more resourceful than they think at the first moment, and DO find solution, when its necessary to find solutions.

I do honor you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, forgot to say: feed on its tummy, head up, couple of drops in the side of the mouth, let it swallow, breathe, and go again. Kitten must not aspirate formula into its lungs. Burp over your shoulder in upright position with little taps on the back. If kitten wiggles during feeding you can wrap it in a towel. Would love pictures when you can! :)

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I fed the kitten with a bottle/syringe I purchased at the same time as the replacement milk.  I already had the kitten in a towel trying to get it to calm down.  I was holding it and it would only take a couple of drinks (swallows).    I just gave her two squeezes at 4:00.  I'm going to feed her every 3.5 hours (vets recommendation)

Momma came up a minute ago and I placed the kitten next to her.  She wanted nothing to do with it.  She smelled it and ran.  I didn't really plan to put the kitten outside, just wanted to see if momma would do anything.  Nope.  So will go forward from there.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok. Any chance of getting the other kitten today?

You're going to have to try to get more milk into the kitten at some point. I am hoping the kitten will relax enough and get hungry enough to eat more, as it cannot live on such a small amount. Were you able to stimulate it to go wee or poo?

If you have wet food, you can try mixing in enough formula to make a paste, and see if the kitten will lick it from your finger. The sooner it begins eating on its own the better.

Hopefully, mama kitty will eat well tonight and allow you to apply some flea medicine to her neck.

I'm worrying about the other kitten that is still under your house. Hoping for a positive outcome.

I know you have your hands full with the kitten(s), but Mama can be spayed anytime now so she does not continue to reproduce.

I'll look forward to your next update! :)

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, we got the other kitten out tonight.   My neighbor looked everywhere but couldn't find anymore. 

They were covered in fleas so I rinsed them under warm water (I was told not to put soap on them).  They were so dirty and their little heads had scabs where they had hit things.

My earlier kitten is now happier and isn't crying as much - he is laying on the other kitten.  Both are very thin.  I keep trying to give them milk but they won't take it.  I wait for them to meow and put a little in the side of their mouths.  The cat we pulled out just now is mad as hell and fights.  It just isn't happy.  It's little eyes are still blue so they've got to be very young.   I'm not even sure it is 3 weeks old.

I'll keep trying to feed them but they are just not interested.  Suggestions?

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I give these kittens wet food?

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I give these kittens wet food?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try, like I suggested in my earlier post - mix it with formula until it's a paste. See if they will lick it from your finger. I'll write more in a minute.

C clw01

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C clw01

Thank you for getting the other kitten!

You can use Dawn on the kittens. It will not hurt them, but will kill the fleas. Fleas can kill kittens because kittens have a tiny amount of blood and can easily become anemic. Just be sure to dry the kittens well after the bath. The bumps on their heads are not from hitting things. They are dermatitis from flea bites, and will go away when the fleas do.

Dawn is the safest way to kill fleas on a kitten since no other flea medicine is safe for kittens this young.

Can you post a picture so I can try to see the age of the kittens?

We need to talk more about feeding next! :)

clw01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I don't have a way to post pictures.  Should I rewash them with Dawn tonight? 

One of the cats might eat off my finger but I don't think the other will.  It is going wild and hissing at me and backing into the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C clw01

Eating - these kittens must eat! Are you using a syringe or bottle? If bottle, they won't take it because they are accustomed to mama's nipples. You will need a syringe or dropper.

I explained earlier how to feed with the syringe or dropper. You will have to force feed them if they refuse to eat. This is done by wrapping the kitten in a soft towel - like a burrito - so that it can't move. Put it tummy down, head up. A table is sometimes useful to put the cat on. And feed!

The kitten who is "fighting" is frightened. It will calm down and accept you soon. They were on their way to being feral. Now, with human contact, they will become quickly socialized.

Were you able to get flea medicine on mama kitty? Did she eat tonight? Do you know if she is looking for her babies? Wondering if she might feed them if she came inside? :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! I would wash them in Dawn tonight. Fill the bathroom sink with warm water, but do not submerge the head. The kitten should relax while you hold it.

Where are you keeping the kittens? Kitten is frightened to death. Talk softly and crouch down to approach. It sounds feisty but will accept you in a day or two!

Have you tried the wet food yet? Kittens with full tummies calm down!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may want to keep the kittens in the bathroom tonight. Soft bed, dish of wet or dry food moistened with formula nearby. They will calm down.

Another thing you can do is smear some food on the kittens's lips. Gerber turkey works great and is easy for them to eat. Might want to pick some up tomorrow.

Let me know how it's going!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you get the feisty kitten by the scruff he will not be able to bite you. It sounds like he may be able to eat mush! They only have tiny baby teeth right now if they are only 4 weeks old. Should also be able to self-feed mush at 4 weeks. That is the age they begin to ween. I'm guessing they can eat mush on their own. If so, they will also be able to use a litter pan soon.

Thank you for saving these kittens' lives! :).

C clw01

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@CLW01  The kittens need to be warm enough to eat and digest the food.  This may be why they aren't eating much.  do you have a heat source?  You can put raw rice in a sock and microwave it for 5 minutes and wrap a towel around it.  It should hold the heat for about 4 hours.

So glad you were able to get both kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am thinking these kittens may look younger than they are due to poor nutrition and flea bite anemia. Clearly mama has fed them to some extent up to now since they are still alive.

Regarding eye color, kittens' eyes can remain blue for several weeks. They will turn their permanent color by three months, and can change shades somewhat until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.