• 4+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she went into labor a bit over a half hour ago, she is resting now, but there are more about to come. She has had 5 healthy beautiful.... and might I say interesting babies so far, I feel more movement in there hopefully not too many more. I have had to help her with the first three, the fourth she only needed my help a little so I think she has the hang of things. All the babies are eatting rn as well. I will post pictures when mama Tigger has time to relax with her babes

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has been over an hour since the last kitten. I am assuming she is taking a break before birthing the other one out that I feel in there?

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just reading up on something I have never heard of I hope someone knows about it? I've never encountered it until possibly now? Anyone hear about fever coat? When does the fur coat change colors? Will the kittens be alright? I think some of her kittens have this.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fever coat means the mama had an illness when she was pergnant. The coats of the kittens will be silvery and usually change to their normal color in a few weeks. Do they appear fully formed and with full coats? They are not premature? are they nursing and is mama now calm? As long as she is not restless or crying, everything is alright. you could be feeling an enlarged uterus in there that should be going down in the next few days. It will not hurt the kittens. as small as she is, I'm shocked she had that many kittens, make sure she is getting plenty of water and kitten food, she will need it! Congratulations and please give her a kiss for me!

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh! No their coats are very different that's why I went looking, I did read that it could also be from stress? When I felt her belly, there was definitely another kitten in there. I could feel the spine and the head pushing up and all. Here's a picture of the kittens a few hours after birth.

When should I start to worry about the kitten still not born?

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am also shocked! I thought maybe 4 at most but wow! They are all doing so well this morning!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They could have fever coats, it's really hard to tell. In a few weeks if they start changing then you would know. The three lighter ones really look like it, the little tabby looks normal. You never know, they may just have beautiful silver coats!
I would call your vet about the unborn kitten. It is not unusual for kittens to be born days apart. As long as mama is calm and taking care of the kittens she should be OK, but a call wouldn't hurt. 24 hours between kittens can happen. You just don't want a dead kitten to be left in her. PS the more I look at those kittens, the more I think it IS fever coats! They are beautiful!

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do think they have a touch of fever coat on their back ends. It'll grow out as they get older.

Is she pushing? If not, she might just be taking a break between kittens, that's not unusual. But if she's actively pushing for more than half an hour with no progress, or seems to be in distress, get her to the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as mom is not in distress there is no reason to worry about the last kitten yet. It could come at any time or even a few days later when it and mom’s body are ready. Good the 5 are doing well. As others have said, give mom plenty of wet food to keep her nourished for nursing. :)

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I checked her today, didn't feel anything anywhere. Maybe she passed the kitten... maybe It was actually just the uterus

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All is well and fine tonight the babies are adorable! Live their colorings... wish it would stay though. Also awesome to see how and when they change. Is there any time frame of when they would change?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At about 5 weeks the true colors start coming through, the head color usually starts indicating their colors. It will take a few months before they are completely changed, at about 12 weeks.

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 weeks old, all are gaining weight great, eyes open and starting to walk around.