Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty Tigger is a very slender kitty, she is skittish around everyone but me. I just realized that she is pregnant and am already seeing kittens move. She has been snuggling about the same maybe a bit more. Nipples are pink and mammary glands feel full, no discharge. I put her in what I'm calling the 'birthing crate' only because I have 2 children several other cats and 2 dogs so I do not want the babies or mama for that fact to be interrupted. But not sure how much more she has to go! She was being a bit of a drama queen when I first put her in there but now she is quite happy with it. I will add her drama queen photos because they are silly.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you putting her in a crate because you don't have a room you can seclude her to? If you have a room, that would be better, and you could keep the crate in that room with the crate door opened but the door to the room closed, so that she might have time to get used to the idea of it being her birthing/nursing station.

The only reason I am asking is because if this crate is in an open area where kids/other pets will be running around, it is not a very conducive environment for her to give birth in and care for her babies, especially during the first few days. She should have a quiet, calm, undistracted area to be in at that time.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will need to make a barrier on the inside of the birthing crate to keep the little ones from getting caught when they start wiggling. It's surprising how soon they start moving about, they won't be able to see and mom will let them move quite a distance, so it's going to be easy for them to get stuck between the cage's wires. Use cardboard from boxes, Amazon and Chewy have good weight boxes. Make the border 5 or 6 inches high and tape it to the cage so it won't fall over. Just as well for Mom to get used to it now, so she won't take it down once the kittens are born.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She's very cute! It's impossible to tell how many kittens she's carrying based on a picture alone. If you want to know the exact number, you could take her to the vet to get an x-ray or an ultrasound, but that's not really necessary.

As for an estimate of when she will give birth, do you know when she mated? The average gestation period for cats is 64 days. You'll start seeing milk production about a day or two before delivery. This article is very helpful: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

As others have mentioned, I think it would be good if you can find a way to give her a secluded room to stay in. That way, she could have more room to move around. But my main concern with the crate is that a kitten could get stuck in the bars.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the crate set up in a room that doesn't have as much traffic. But I don't have a room where I can leave it open unfortunitly. I did have a different bottom in there it was just being cleaned at the moment. I do not know when she mated and she is normally a very slender kitty and because she is very skittish around others she will only visit me when they aren't around me so I didn't notice until recently but seeing as I can clearly see the babies moving I know it has to be 2 weeks. That was a week ago and I can't help but to think it will be sooner. Maybe just wishful thinking!! I also have non clumping litter in there will her as well. It's a pretty large crate as my Great dane can fit in there.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be feeding her kitten food from now until she weens the kittens. A saucer or two of Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) per day will provide her with the extra fat and protein she needs for the developing kittens, and then while she is nursing.

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, thank you so much for all of the information! I checked her temp today and it is 99.1°F she also unusually is enjoying me rubbing her belly, normally she will move away from belly rubs.

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today she is seeming more relaxed then her normal, the babies are wiggling all over the place. And dad finally got fixed, so no more babies!! This is her today took this just as I am writing this.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be aware that recently neutered males can have sperm hiding in the tubes for a few weeks after neutering. So don't trust him around unspayed females yet, and if she has the kittens in the next couple of weeks don't let him near her because she could get pregnant again right away. Give it at least 3 weeks from the day he was neutered. Were they the only unaltered cats in the home?

Sounds like you have things under control so far. Make plans in case of emergency, get the vet's after-hours phone number, etc. Most cat bitths go well but better safe than sorry. Usually if you can feel the kittens, she has less than 2 weeks to go.

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I had another litter those kittens are almost 5 weeks old. They all have very good healthy homes. But as far as males go he was the only unaltered male. All of my other males have been fixed. That's why I have the moms separated and at night they get separated.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I had another litter those kittens are almost 5 weeks old. They all have very good healthy homes. But as far as males go he was the only unaltered male. All of my other males have been fixed. That's why I have the moms separated and at night they get separated.
You still have the 5-week-olds, right? I'm assuming from your message that you mean you have good homes lined up, but wanted to jump in to say that kittens should stay with mom until they are at least 10-12 weeks old. Ideally, kittens are fixed, dewormed, and vaccinated when they go to their new homes.

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no babies. In everyone's experience here, how long did labor start after you saw the kittens clearly moving from the outside?

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been nesting hardcore the last 2 days, today she is cleaning everywhere more than her usual, including her bits. I'm hoping today is the day, especally since this weekend is my 1 year old's birthday! Any one know much about belly dropping or how to tell if there are any early contractions? Not funding much about what a belly drop looks like, I think her belly dropped late on saturday night. I'm starting to go nuts waiting for these babies!
So excited to meet these adorable fluffy bundles

SHorvath93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Starting to get a bit worried about miss Tigger. It has been over 2 weeks since I first noticed the movements in her belly, and I read a lot of other stories on here, but I just can't help but to be worried that maybe this pregnancy is lasting a bit too long. I don't know when she mated so I have no idea when to expect these little sweeties. Everything seems fine, I am not seeing any blood, she just lounges around and licks herself from time to time. I can see the babies heads and backs sticking out. I noticed milk production and her mammary glands seems so big that I'm Worried she could get some blockage or something. Her vulva seems to be softer the last few days, particularly today, but no contractions that I can see (i know it's hard to see Braxton hicks but anything) the babes have seemed to slow down in her belly today. I have been staying up with her last at night (or early in the morning if you want to look at it that way) just so that I can be there if she needs help since she is a bit over a year old. I have all the supplies at the ready. Just getting worried about her.
Is there anything I should watch for or look for?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All sounds normal to me. These are typical end of pregnancy symptoms. Kitten movements slow down at the end as the kittens move toward the birth canal and have less room. She should have them soon! :)