Not knowing hurts more than I would have thought.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I do not think we can sue them as I am pretty sure we signed a waver. The spayed so many other pets that day. I am worried that it is not only my pet that was hurt. I cannot even express in words how much it hurts to know that they killed my baby and they might have killed others.
You absolutely should go down there and have them read the necropsy so that they can alert other pet owners that had their pets spayed that day. And hopefully, they will learn from this and be more diligent in their work. It is unacceptable for that to happen in a professional practice, but accidents do happen, people are forgetful and it is just really upsetting and awful that it had to happen to your baby. I really hope you go there and let them know what exactly has happened and stress that it was THEIR fault. I would also assure them that you will never be taking another pet to them for any sort of services. I know I wouldn't.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
What a terrible thing to happen.  A terrible thing for you to read and to know.  

The centre can learn from this and by their being open to the necropsy and paying for it they seem open to this thankfully - which is more than many others.   Yes mistakes do happen, no professional is perfect however much we want them to be, and we always hope that if something does go wrong it is not serious and it is not with anyone we know or care about.  The very worst mistakes are those which are denied and lied about and that seems to be one of the few positive aspects of Morticia's care.  Yes, share this with the centre, and if you want to ask them what they can learn from it and perhaps change.  

Please don't worry that because this happened to Morticia that day that the same likely happened to other cats.  It is far more likely that Morticia was the one cat this happened to and their other clients are not experiencing the pain that you are for the same or similar reasons right now.  If they are there would be a very serious issue indeed and I think the centre would be less likely to approach you with such openness.  The centre staff can learn from the pain you are going through in loosing Morticia like this so share your pain with them and let them offer you some reassurance about other cats who have been and will be in their care.

Morticia

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is this a free clinic?   If not, you should be getting your fee back as well as the necropsy.   If possible get the name of the vet that did the procedure and report them to your state vet licensing board so they can keep a tab on this person.   

cutiekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss. I was supose to take my 4 month old princess Sunny to get spayed today, but due to her being a very small 4 month old I decided a couple days ago to hold off a month as I wasn't sure if she would make it through the surgery with being so tiny. While I know kittens are spayed everyday and come out of it fine, after reading this, I'm glad I did hold off until I get some meat on her bones.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet that we took Morticia to sent a copy of the necropsy to them. They emailed my mom and said that they were going to disscus what happened at the next staff meeting that they have. 

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Is this a free clinic?   If not, you should be getting your fee back as well as the necropsy.   If possible get the name of the vet that did the procedure and report them to your state vet licensing board so they can keep a tab on this person.   
Yes it was free. I am not sure what is going to happen to the vet that did this, though I do not wish for her to lose her job, I do wish that she be just a bit more vigilant. 

cutiekitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet that we took Morticia to sent a copy of the necropsy to them. They emailed my mom and said that they were going to disscus what happened at the next staff meeting that they have. 
Well I guess thats better then them blowing you and your mom off. Sounds like they are trying to make sure it doesn't happen again.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss. I was supose to take my 4 month old princess Sunny to get spayed today, but due to her being a very small 4 month old I decided a couple days ago to hold off a month as I wasn't sure if she would make it through the surgery with being so tiny. While I know kittens are spayed everyday and come out of it fine, after reading this, I'm glad I did hold off until I get some meat on her bones.
How much does your cat way? Morticia was a VERY small cat. At a year and four months and full of milk she was only 7 1/2 pounds. It's not because she was small that this happened, it was simply because they forgot. 

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I guess that's better then them blowing you and your mom off. Sounds like they are trying to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Yes it would seem so. Though this doesn't bring her back, and it certainly doesn't take away the pain of loosing her, it makes me feel a little bit better knowing that they will take extra precautions so that this doesn't happen again.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Yes it was free. I am not sure what is going to happen to the vet that did this, though I do not wish for her to lose her job, I do wish that she be just a bit more vigilant. 
I really admire how you are approaching this when the whole situation is so painful and most people would be blinded with anger.  It is no compensation for what has happened but I am sure this is one lesson that vet is never going to forget, and will carry with her for the rest of her life.  It does sound like the place is taking it very seriously and wants everyone there to learn and make sure nothing like this ever happens again.  Hopefully they will keep up the communication with your mum and are able to reasure you some more that they have taken something important away from what they have done.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They have to handle this properly as being a not-for-profit they rely on donations that will dry up if they have more ocurrances like this.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought it would come back into your mind and haunt you that it was their fault. It's apart of the grieving process. But you have every reason to be aggrieved and feel the way you do. Their mistake cost your baby it's life. Your grief, sadness and anger would be multiplied by about 10 or you have every reason to feel so because these clowns made a huge error. You are still handling it amazing and like a true champion. You are such a wonderful person for thinking about others in such a horrible moment.

Personally I'd sue them or report it to a local paper. It's not that simple though . Because even though it's their fault I still admire their honesty and taking responsibility for it. They could have been low and lied. It's good to know there are good people like you and I and everyone here who operates in the manner one should. It's a messed up situation. One in which certainly could have been avoided and you or your kitty shouldn't have even been in the situation you are in.

I'm sorry for your pain and loss. It truly is a tragedy and I think many people shouldn't be in the fields they are in. I myself have encountered far too many mistakes by the so called experts in various industries.

I'm very sorry my friend.

Last edited:

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I myself have encountered far too many mistakes by the so called experts in various industries.

I'm very sorry my friend.
Indeed... the `experts` said the Titanic was unsinkable.    Experience teaches us to scrutinize the so-called experts.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not as admirable as you guys are making me out to be. Though this is a very upsetting thing that I wish had never happened, I just wish this can never happen again. The last thing I want you for the vet that did this to lose her job. With that said I think she should have to go through some more school and she should be watched very closely for awhile to make sure this doesn't happen again. Though I know a complication of a female being spayed can be that their tube CAN come undone, it is a lot different when they simply forget to do it. Thank you all for you sympathy and for letting express my hurt and guilt without criticism. I will be starting a new thread for Morticia's boys soon. It will most likely be titled "Morticia's legacy".

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am just wondering if anyone has done or witnessed a spay operation - wouldn't a tube left untied be noticeably bleeding before the belly is sutured up? Or is it something that might blend in with the surroundings and go unnoticed? Not looking for an excuse but just wondering if it is possible to not see it.

Looking forward to following your posts about
her boys in the future.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am just wondering if anyone has done or witnessed a spay operation - wouldn't a tube left untied be noticeably bleeding before the belly is sutured up? Or is it something that might blend in with the surroundings and go unnoticed? Not looking for an excuse but just wondering if it is possible to not see it.

Looking forward to following your posts about
her boys in the future.
You figure it would be VERY obvious. The report said that there were NO ligature marks. I took that to assume it hadn't been tied at all, though I could be wrong. I think that they did tie the knot but they didn't do it well enough so it had slowly started coming undone. 

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Morticias legacy is up so you guys can see how the boys are doing. 

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thank you.
Why are you thanking me? I should be thanking all of you. You have all been so helpful and understanding. It really has helped me grieve. Just now I brushed up against Morticias collar and I could have sworn I heard he meow. Funny what grief can make you hear. 

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could have been her Ryan. It may not just have been your imagination. If you think your heard her, you probably did.