Not gaining weight

lindalucc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've raised a number of kittens.  Feed them Gerber baby food, the smallest jar offered in beef, ham, chicken and turkey.  Feed each kitten with a towel on your lap.  They can't be fed just milk, they need more.  Use an eye dropper to make sure they get milk or whipping cream (real cream out of a can).  All of my kittens grew up to have beautiful coats and were very active. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've raised a number of kittens.  Feed them Gerber baby food, the smallest jar offered in beef, ham, chicken and turkey.  Feed each kitten with a towel on your lap.  They can't be fed just milk, they need more.  Use an eye dropper to make sure they get milk or whipping cream (real cream out of a can).  All of my kittens grew up to have beautiful coats and were very active. 
Cow milk is not a good option as cats can't digest lactose, FYI.

lindalucc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used the canned milk especially for kittens or sometimes the small carton of milk especially for kittens.  Whipped cream came after eight weeks and they could help themselves.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I used the canned milk especially for kittens or sometimes the small carton of milk especially for kittens.  Whipped cream came after eight weeks and they could help themselves.
Yes, kitten milk replacer is a great choice.  Cream isn't really beneficial to a cat, and could cause stomach upset.

lindalucc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cats on any farm drink milk straight from the cow.  Every cat I've given it to loves canned whipping cream and has a glowing coat!  Sorry, it's true!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats on any farm drink milk straight from the cow.  Every cat I've given it to loves canned whipping cream and has a glowing coat!  Sorry, it's true!
That doesn't mean it's good for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcmclain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Rocky has had a very eventful weekend. I am part of a vintage RV group and we had our Spring rally this weekend, so Rocky and mama Olive went RVing for the first time. They both did great! He is starting to eat canned kitten food from my finger. Havent seen him take it from the dish yet. He's a little spoiled I guess and likes to be fed ;) He is also learning to use the litter box!!!
The RV is a 1963 Shasta Astrodome. Her name is Daisy.

Last edited:

torikins 4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat has not been eating and yet she has valley fever we give her prescrpition food and she hasn't gained any wait, but maybe if u give him/her a prescription food she/he will eat and gain weight? If u have any questions concering me, please PM me,

Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi,

My cat has not been eating and yet she has valley fever we give her prescrpition food and she hasn't gained any wait, but maybe if u give him/her a prescription food she/he will eat and gain weight? If u have any questions concering me, please PM me,

Thanks!
Tx for your good advices to the TS!    Do you wish any advices for YOUR cat?   Not that I know what valley fever is...   But if you too want advices, please be welcome to start your own tread! 

Welcome to our Forums!

lindalucc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like I said earlier, give him Gerber's baby food, turkey, chicken, beef and ham.  He'll love it and really grow.  My cats loved the ham and chicken the best but offer all.  Glad to hear he's doing better!

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rocky is adorable, what a great name for him, he is a survivor. I love his defiant little pose of him standing to be weighed 

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have started my little ones on Pure Balance starter. Also using dry kitten food soaked in formula. Just be sure, even when he eats a lot, that you continue to supplement his diet with formula.
My personal favorite, and one I've had good luck with, is 1 part KMR to 3 parts goats milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcmclain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning everyone!

Wanted to give an update on Rocky, possibly my last. He has found a furever home and going there this weekend. He is going to be a tough one to give up, but he will leave a BIG paw print on my heart. He is now fully litter box trained, eating canned cat food, and playing up a storm.
I can't thank everyone enough for their words of encouragement, tips, and advice during this journey.
Until the next rescue

Attachments

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is great news!! thanks for the update and the picture. He is so adorable. Maybe you can tell his new owners how popular he is here and they can post some updates on how the sweet little guy is doing.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question torikins 4 torikins 4 . I haven't lived in the Valley for over 15 years, but my dad and quite a few friends had to deal with Valley Fever (in pets, not themselves). Have they made a new drug that you don't have to give the animal for life? I know this isn't exactly cat related, but it kind of is. Did Rocky recover from VF, or is he on the pills for this the rest of his life? Really just more curious if they have made advancements. I lived there for over 38 years, so I am definitely a carrier.