Not another

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have had a long haired tabby show up(no collar of course) and I think it's female and in heat. I just got a quick grab on it(she wsn't too keen on being held) so I can't be sure if it's female but the way it sounds it's in heat. It's also someone's pet since I was able to pet her and pick her up.

It was dark so I couldn't do much about it right then.

I have everyone but Runt neutered and Runt isn't because he's sick at the moment and he needs to shed all the mats he picked up over the winter. He won't let me near him to try and help him out(normally I'd just take the scissors to him) and I think he's trap smart.

I need to wait for everything to thaw and dry out before trying to trap anyone. It's mainly waiting for everyting to dry out.

And of course this cat isn't afraid of dogs so we have an even bigger issue, if Dylan(or Jazzy) gets hold of the cat he will kill it. Dexter is ok and since he's on a leash unless he's in Mitzi's backyartd(she said we can use it to let him run around while she's at work) but he pretty much either gets along with them or they tell him to get lost. Him and Half-tail(female) are friends. Him and Nuts seem to tolerate each other but Nuts is still hissy about it. I think idiot up the street got herself a new cat(ALWAYS female and NEVER spayed.) If I catch her I'm goingto take her to a humane society that adopts FeLV+ and FIV+ cats since I have no idea how long she has been here and with all mine being FeLV+ if she came into contact with them(and I do have cat food down on a daily basis so it wouldn't be unlikely if she was up here to try and get some cat food from my bowl) she might be positive and I don't want her put down because of that.

So either &*&&* up the street has a new cat or someone dumped a cat here. Either way I am so mad. We were doing so good with no new cats showing up and now this one, who I might or might not ever see again(and honestly I hope I never see it again. I'm hoping someone's pet got lost and goes home. I just want to say that it is never a lost cat, if there is a cat it's either dumped or ^&&% got a new cat, this would be her 3rd in less than 2 years.) AARRGGHHH!! What is wrong with people?!!!

Taryn

catdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it is story of my life.. every place i move to, there are bunch of cats who knows if they are strays or not. people don't take responsibilities for their cats, they let them lose without supervision or they just dump them because they are done with them like they are pieces of furniture.
have you ever look at the craigslits lost and found, 99% are lost or found dog and cats, it is sad! i wonder how many lost kids you see everyday posted in craigslist or newspaper. people need to be responsible for their pets and spay and neuture them!

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would you take your neighbors cat away? People can love their cats very much, not spay and neuter them, and let them outside. What if someone took you and spayed or neutered you without asking? Just because there is such a large cat population, with the majority of them homeless, it doesn't mean we should take away a cat's rights. It seems to me that cats should be able to go outside if they want, and also have kittens if they want. Would you want to stay inside your whole life because it is dangerous outside? Hopefully the cat does have a loving home, and will go back to it.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Are you serious?

Cats do not need to breed nor roam. The only cats that should be breeding are purebred cats, and not bybs either.

These same cats do not get vet care, if they get hurt then they just have to deal with it and possibly die. Broke leg? Oh well we do not have money for that, cat has to deal with it. When they get ran over their "owners" usually just leave them on the road to rot. Cats get diseases from mating strays. They get abcesses/scratches from fighting. They go into fenced yards and get murdered by dogs, stray dogs tourture, maime, and kill them. Coyotes, snakes, hunters, antifreeze kills them. AC picks them up, and since these same cats usually do not have collars they get pts because the pound is too full of kittens/cats because stupid people let them breed "just because."

Just because your (general your, not you in particular) cat is/was ok for now does NOT mean that something will not happen one day. You may say "oh it is worth it because my cat would be miserable inside" but will you might change your tune when your cat is having grand mal seizures and dying in front of you because it drank some anitfreeze that was leaking under the neighbors car.

the breeding thing bothers me way more than the roaming, if you are so inclined to let your cat roam, fine just know what could happen. But to let an unaltered cat breed and breed and breed, that is insane.

I guess I am a bit sensitve on this subject because I lived in a neighborhood where everyone had outdoor cats and none were fixed, and they all knew I loved animals so they would constantly knock on my door asking if I wanted one of their new batches of kittens. That and the horror stories of "oh yeah, my yellow cat died yesterday on my porch. He had a massive lump on his side for a while, but yesterday it burst and oozed green pus while he was laying on the porch and he died that night. I am going to get a new one tomorrow, a prettier one!" There were easily 20-30 cats in that neighborhood with the number constantly rising, no one wanted the kittens so they just left them running loose unaltered too. No vet care ever, because "Duh, we don't have money for that. But we can totally go to the hair salon and drop $100 every few weeks."

Just curious, how do you feel about roaming dogs? That is completely wrong, right? Or do you like having to pick your garbage cans/garbage up every day and step in big doggy-doo piles? Because that is just as wrong as roaming cats.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am serious, and I'm not going to change my opinion. To tell you the truth I don't mind roaming dogs. I love it when I see dogs running around. And also people do let dogs out in their yards, why couldn't a cat be left out in their yard, if it is cat-proof? It seems as if the people in your neighborhood really don't care about their cats, if they would just go get a new "prettier" cat after theirs died.

Wessie was shot by our neighbor when he lived outside, so now we keep him in. If we move, I'll let him out. Just because something bad happens doesn't mean that you should make your cat stay inside when he likes it outside.

About breeding... I don't really have a problem with people spaying or neutering their cats, but sometimes I think... what if someone just spayed and neutered people because they think that there are too many homeless people that can't get medical attention? There are many homeless people who are living on the streets, unable to get medical attention, and we are not spaying and neutering them, are we?

And I love Wessie VERY much, and am being loving by letting him outside. A short and happy life, or a long and unhappy life. Which would you choose?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbehaviors

Why would you take your neighbors cat away? People can love their cats very much, not spay and neuter them, and let them outside. What if someone took you and spayed or neutered you without asking? Just because there is such a large cat population, with the majority of them homeless, it doesn't mean we should take away a cat's rights. It seems to me that cats should be able to go outside if they want, and also have kittens if they want. Would you want to stay inside your whole life because it is dangerous outside? Hopefully the cat does have a loving home, and will go back to it.
I hope you aren't serious.

If it is this woman's cat this would be her 3rd in less than 2 years, one died, one I had to rescue after she abandoned it when her house was foreclosed on. Mitzi rescued 3 dogs from her(and took them to the rescue we got Dexter from) and all 3 required 9 months - 1 year of rehab work before they were healthy enough to even think about putting them up for adoption. She doesn't feed them or take care of them, she allows them to breed and pop out animal after animal after animal who aren't taken care of, they never see a vet, they spread disease. I know her new dead Siamese(after having her 3rd litter of the summer of '09, not one kitten survived from any of the 3 litters, on top of her being STARVED) was the reason everyone outside has FeLV, and Nuts is positive and Attitude died because of it. If I catch this cat it is getting spayed(I might just take her to a shelter that deals with FeLV+ cats, if the cat continues to not be afraid of dogs it has to go to the shelter or it will be killed in a very nasty way by a dog) because I am NOT dealing with this, I watched her Siamese slowly and painfully DIE because she refused to take care of it(the cat wasn't even being fed) and it kept having litter after litter of kittens that all died and finally the cat died. One of the few times I have ever been relieved that an animal was dead and no longer suffering since my cats refused to let her eat, they chased her off if they saw her. This woman has a long history(years) of getting animals and not taking care of them, starving them, and letting them run loose(yes, even the dogs) and letting them pop out litter after litter of puppies, and kittens. This is a long standing thing, not something recent and it stretches over multiple animals. I thought we were free when her house was foreclosed on but they came back. It was so nice when they were gone except for me having to rescue(and re-home, also wasn't afraid of dogs) her calico after she abandoned it.

I finally have my colony down to a manageable size and everyone except Runt is spayed or neutered(and Runt will be as soon as he recovers from his URI) and I'm going to let them live out the rest of their natural lives and be done with it. I haven't seen the cat today so I am hoping someone's pet got loose and went home.

This is not my responsibility, I'm taking care of my cat(Nuts) and keeping him inside and he's neutered. Same with Attitude, she saw the vet when she needed to, she was spayed, and she was never outside unsupervised(she liked to walk around outside near the end of her life.) I'm feeding everyone outside and inside, and trying to care care of them too. I have everyone but Runt spayed or neutered, heck I took the neighbor's feral to be neutered(she knew about it and was all for it.) I know of one other black cat that no one can even get near and wouldn't come near a trap if I paid it, I'm assuming it's a tom since I haven't seen any kittens. It only shows up every once in a while so I don't think I could catch it even if I did set the trap. I'm also more focused on getting any females I find done. Toms don't give birth to kittens.

I dealt with 15 kittens from 4 cats in 2009. Mama had 3, her daughter Callie had 3 and Mama's daughters Biter and Goldie had 9 between the two of them. That is what happens when you don't spay or neuter your animals. That isn't even counting what the Siamese was having since they were dying but if they survived(and stuck around) I'd be up to my ears in cats. All of these cats have FeLV so I can't just try and re-home them so I'm stuck with them until they die.

Taryn

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound as if your neighbor is not someone who should have pets. You didn't mention that she didn't feed them and also abandoned her kitties. But still, people can love their cats and not neuter them, and let them outside.
It's just that I would think it was horrible if someone took away Wessie when he was an outside cat, and I wouldn't want you to break someone's heart like that.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I can't believe that you don't get it. We're not spaying and neutering cats because we feel that homeless cats is a nuisance and we don't want any more. We're doing it for them, to prevent cats from suffering. Right now the number one cause of death for cats in the US is euthanasia in animal shelters. Why do you think that is? It's because there are too many of them. Unless we reduce the numbers millions of cats will be gassed to death in shelters all across our country. Don't you think it's better that we prevent kittens from being born instead of giving our cats the "right" to have kittens so that those kittens can be gassed to death when they are two years old? Even if one litter of kittens will find homes and live happy lives another litter won't. If we can reduce the numbers every kitten that is born will have a good chance at a life free of pain and suffering. As it is now less than 10% will live lives happy lives for their whole lives. A few more will have decent lives while many others will suffer until they meet the needle or the gas chamber.
My cat Ziggy was about to be a direct victim of the over population problem. He and his litter mates were turned into a pound when they were about three months old when the people that owned their unspayed mom could not find homes for all the kittens. When he and his siblings had been there for a week their time was up. Room had to be made for other kittens that were being brought in so they were going to be put down at the ripe age of three months. The day before they were going to be put down I came there to pick up a dog that was going to rescue and I decided to bring them too. About fifteen other cats and kittens there that day were not so lucky and all died the next day at the hands of an animal control officer that thought of them as a pest. That's what happens when you let your cat have the right to have kittens. Why would you want to participate in something like that? Because that's what you do when you don't spay and neuter your cat. You directly contribute to the suffering of cats.

I don't think that people who don't fix their pets and let them roam don't love their pets. I'm sure many do love them very much. But it's not only about your cat. It's about all cats. I wish that I didn't have to put my 8 week old foster kittens through surgery. I wish I didn't have to spay a pregnant cat. I don't think spaying and neutering is any fun but it's a necessary evil. We have to do it if we want stop five million cats from being killed in shelters each year and the only way to do that is to make sure that five million fewer cats are born each year. Do you get it?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It does sound as if your neighbor is not someone who should have pets. You didn't mention that she didn't feed them and also abandoned her kitties. But still, people can love their cats and not neuter them, and let them outside.
It's just that I would think it was horrible if someone took away Wessie when he was an outside cat, and I wouldn't want you to break someone's heart like that.
But when getting stray and feral cats spayed or neutered, USUALLY we're not taking them away. This is a very specific circumstance. Normally they get taken to a vet, get spayed or neutered, treated for anything that needs treating, get a rabies vaccination, often treated for fleas and internal parasites, and then they are returned and released. This is something any responsible pet owner should do before letting an animal outside. He would be free to return home - he just wouldn't be able to father any more kittens, and someone else would be paying for something you should have to begin with.

How can you possibly think it's wrong to spay or neuter a roaming cat or dog? Six to eight MILLION animals enter shelters every year, and only three to four million of them are adopted. The rest are MURDERED to make room for the next three to four million that are going to be murdered - because the animals (mostly cats) reproduce at a rate far greater than there are homes for them.

Someone who lets their pet roam without being spayed or neutered doesn't necessarily mean they don't love them - but it does mean they're ignorant or completely thoughtless.

I suggest you volunteer at a shelter for several months and see if perhaps your opinion about allowing intact animals to roam changes.

Until then, please respect Rule #2 of the forums:

2. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cats. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. If you take care of a feral colony, please make sure to do so responsibly by practicing TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) protocols within the colony. By spaying and neutering, you enhance a cat's quality of life and improve their longterm health. You are also proving your love for cats because in acting as a responsible pet owner/caregiver you are minimizing the problem of cat overpopulation.
And perhaps spend a little time learning about the problem of cat overpopulation:

From The Feral Cat Coalition:

"The Race to Outpace Feral Cat Over-Population

A symposium presentation by Linda Kelson, Feral Cat Coalition board member

Feral and homeless cats are a huge part of the growing pet over-population problem everywhere. The number of feral cats in the U.S. has been estimated at 60 million. Ferals are the wild offspring of domestic cats, and ALWAYS the result of pet owners who fail to spay or neuter their animals. The HSUS estimates that a pair of breeding cats and their offspring can exponentially produce over 400,000 cats in 7 years."

The item bold and red is my emphasis added. Here is the link to the article: http://www.feralcat.com/kelson.html

Other informative websites:

http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/
http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=191

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I am serious, and I'm not going to change my opinion. To tell you the truth I don't mind roaming dogs. I love it when I see dogs running around.
A responsible dog owner would never dream of allowing his or her dog to roam the neighborhood freely. Allowing a dog to roam on its own is irresponsible, dangerous (to the dog and the neighborhood), and probably even illegal. Do you also love it when dogs get into fights with wild animals or other dogs; prey on rabbits, small mammals, or people; get hit by vehicles; pee and poop in non-owners yards; those not spayed or neutered mating with any roaming dog, allowing a feral or unwanted litter to spring up because you didn't keep your dog confined ?

Personally I hate it when people don't take care of their animals.
The animals always end up paying for the dumbassedness of their owners.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I honestly cannot believe I am reading this post on this cat site!! You really don't get it! Please go spend time volunteering at a shelter and you will see the end result of your opinion about cats roaming free unaltered. To me, not spaying or neutering your cat and then letting it outside, is abuse and completely ignorant. I and others on this site spend countless hours and money trapping helpless, sick, homeless, starving, seriously injured feral cats and their offspring because of people who don't get their pet cats fixed. That one cat you let out unaltered could breed many other cats in one outing. Do you think about those little innocent kittens being born outside to a life of fear, hunger, disease?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now! You are a great person trying to save these cats. And just reading about your neighbor down the street is infuriating. It is like a battle that cannot be won with people like her owning cats!! It seems like every time I have a head count on the outdoor ferals another one shows up. And it is due to ignorant, uneducated people who do not see the end result of the horrible suffering from not spaying and neutering their cats.

I commend you for your efforts and pray for more people like us in this world.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am serious, and I'm not going to change my opinion. To tell you the truth I don't mind roaming dogs. I love it when I see dogs running around. And also people do let dogs out in their yards, why couldn't a cat be left out in their yard, if it is cat-proof? It seems as if the people in your neighborhood really don't care about their cats, if they would just go get a new "prettier" cat after theirs died.

Wessie was shot by our neighbor when he lived outside, so now we keep him in. If we move, I'll let him out. Just because something bad happens doesn't mean that you should make your cat stay inside when he likes it outside.

About breeding... I don't really have a problem with people spaying or neutering their cats, but sometimes I think... what if someone just spayed and neutered people because they think that there are too many homeless people that can't get medical attention? There are many homeless people who are living on the streets, unable to get medical attention, and we are not spaying and neutering them, are we?

And I love Wessie VERY much, and am being loving by letting him outside. A short and happy life, or a long and unhappy life. Which would you choose?
Well, thank you, comparing homeless people to homeless cats just speaks volumes to me about you.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

TCS' rule #2

2. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cats. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. If you take care of a feral colony, please make sure to do so responsibly by practicing TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) protocols within the colony. By spaying and neutering, you enhance a cat's quality of life and improve their longterm health. You are also proving your love for cats because in acting as a responsible pet owner/caregiver you are minimizing the problem of cat overpopulation.
You will probably get A LOT of negative responses. Many of us on here have devoted our lives to saving lives in a variety of ways, volunteering at shelters, S/N stray cats, TNR programs, & running our own rescues/adoption services.

I don't think I have much more (polite) to add. Go spend a day in a kill shelter, hold some of those strays as they're murdered. The fact remains that millions of cats are murdered in shelters every year because there aren't enough homes for them all. And by letting you intact cat roam free only adds further to the overpopulation issue.

To give a human comparison as you did - humans are offered birth control, how is S/N stray/feral cats that different? Just another form of birth control.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just took a look at your blog. It is as clueless as you are about cats and their behavior. I suppose, you would look at Shell, she arrived today and say that she was "lucky" to be outside. She is a young, long-haired dilute calico who was born outside by a neglectful owner. While she was outside-she was attacked by a neighbor's dog. Because she has never been handled, instead of turning to a loving owner for help- she ran off and hid and "tried" to heal. She failed. The attack has left her with multiple wounds which have scabbed over but are horribly infected. The scabs are so Hot to the touch- you have no idea. The dog got her both of her front shoulders and her anus. The attack also left her with half of her tongue hanging out of her mouth, preventing her from drinking and eating normally. Because her tongue is now hanging out of her mouth like a limp noodle, she has continually bit it and now her ENTIRE mouth is so infected it is glued together with mucous. She was so matted, it took an entire wash basin from the hospital full of mats to get her down to where she had none-and several of her mats were infested with maggots and had to be flushed out. But, according to your cluelessness- what the heck! She lived outdoors.

She is now here, upstairs on major pain killers and heavy antibiotics- oh and I forgot to mention- she was pregnant when she was attacked, because ANY unspayed female outside right now in my area is pregnant. The kittens were killed in the attack and the vet can't take them right now so I either need to get her strong enough and healthy enough so she can withstand a major surgery- or she will reabsorb these kittens over time always a danger.

If she survives the attack, I will get her spayed. She WILL stay here with my rest inside and safe.

Perhaps you would have liked to meet Dunkin? Her story is here:

http://savesamoa.org/wordpress/?p=271

Or Starlight, his story is here: http://www.catscenterstage.org/stray-starlight.html

Maybe on Kill Day, you can go to the local pound or kill shelter and ask to assist them as they euthanize all the cats that no one wants because they are too busy to have a cat, or they had to move, or they just dumped a box of kittens over the fence...or...or...the stories are endless. I wonder, would your heart break as you carry the next victim to the room for as they near that door, they understand that death waits for them and you have to hang on to them for dear life and get scratched in the process. Whether they smell the death of the hundreds before them, or the spirits of the dead kitties are waiting to warn them- no one knows, but they understand that without being asked- they were born into a world where no one gave a damn and they are about to exit this world without any say in the matter.

Then as you carry the bags of the dead out to the back and stash them in the big covered and locked box- maybe you will understand that cats are special creatures. They don't need the outside to be happy. They do need loving, caring people in their lives who understand about spaying and neutering, regular vet care, keeping kitty happy and active and keeping them safe.

I feel sorry for any cat or kitten in your care now and in the future. They may live furious and look like they are having fun- but they won't live long.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so thankful and impressed with the level of support on TCS and all the loving, caring cat lovers who have rescued strays/ferals, taken them in to get them S/N and proper medical care they so desperately need.

Taryn, how is is going? Did you see that long-haired tabby around again? You are doing a great thing for the cats in your area and I hope Runt is feeling better soon

Hissy, I want to say to you that I read the stories about Dunkin and Starlight. I was just physically ill reading about sweet angel Dunkin and I still cry thinking about it. I cannot fathom the depths of human cruelty on kittens/cats. That is not human, just pure evil what that man did. I want you to know, I admire you so very much and have started reading more of your articles. You are a true, authentic, to the core cat guardian, and I have the utmost respect for your efforts. You have saved many and brought them back from such a dark place and I get tears just thinking about how many cat lives you have saved. I am glad to know you on this site

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Karma has a strong play in this world. The man who put Dunkin through such terror and pain when the police went to arrest him (he was also charged with child abuse what a surprise
) The man took off on a bicycle and the police gave chase. The man was armed, he got into some sort of back alley trying to hide behind a dumpster and when the police got near he shot himself. No great loss.

I do what I do, and I write about it to help these often misunderstood cats and the people trying to care for them. Shell is my latest challenge and her next vet appointment this morning can't arrive soon enough for me. At last check, her temp was 99.2 it has been dropping all night despite my best efforts. Her ears are ice cold- but she is alert, she is eating and she craves love and affection. I laid down on the floor with her last night, and put my hand into her carrier (inside the cage) all she wanted to do was crawl under the blankets with me, but she still reeks of infection. I finally had to give up my efforts, cover her cage and let her just sleep. Here is her photo of when she arrived. I just wanted to add that yes, she is inside of a carrier, BUT that carrier is inside a cage large enough for two german shepherds and the door of the carrier is always open. Her litter pan is on the lower level I made a second level using bookshelves cut to fit with screws attached to act as braces against the wire. If she were healthier- I would feed her on the top level. I HATE HATE HATE seeing cats forced to stay in dinky carriers where their only bed is a litter pan. Not healthy for them, would you like to sleep in a dirty bathroom? Plus the litter gets into the food and water and continues to make the cat sicker and sicker. Sorry, I am ranting, but I see it all the time and it makes me nuts!

Who knows, maybe I am really a crazy cat lady. But I never let a cat or kitten be adopted from here until they are spayed or neutered. And I don't neuter until the kitten is at least 6 months old because in high-risk kitties that I specialize in- it is dangerous to do otherwise.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad to hear that man shot himself straight to hell, somehow you telling us that makes Dunkin's story a little easier to swallow right now.

Shell, you are a beautiful girl, please pull through, and you are in the best hands possible
. I will pray for this little darling Hissy. The cage set-up is very nice and roomy for her and I am sure she knows you love her and are helping her as best you can. Please keep updating, either here or elsewhere, she is too precious and you are doing another great job trying to save another life, Just amazing. My
swells.

p.s. Here is my theory on the "crazy cat lady" label: If you think you are a crazy cat lady and joke about it, you are not a crazy cat lady. If you don't think you are a crazy cat lady and have so many, many cats you can't move in your home for fear of stepping on all of them, and most of them don't even have names, you are a crazy cat lady