Normal For Nursing Cat To Eat Over 3 Bowls A Day?

Jessie118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently rescued a mommy cat and her babies. The kittens are about two weeks old and weve noticed that the mom eats CONSTANTLY. We filled her bowl 3 times today and im just wondering if she needs to eat that much or if she has some sort of worm or parasite. She still has her big pregnant belly but i can feel her spine when touching her back so that tells me shes not gaining much weight. I also give her wet canned kitten food everyday or every other day. I dont want to not feed her when she needs it, but im afraid shes being overfed... i plan to take her to the vet very soon. Just want some peace of mind for now.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What type of dry food are you feeding her? She should definitely be eating a high quality kitten food while nursing :)

I wouldn't worry about overfeeding, I give my nursing queens wet food 4 times a day (as much as she will eat in one sitting) and free feed dry (the bowl is never empty). It's hard work raising wee ones and she needs all the food and nutrients she can get to stay healthy while nursing.

If you concerned about parasites, there should be worming medications safe for nursing mothers. I would contact your vet and tell them the situation. The kittens will also need to be wormed as well when they are old enough :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree with the above.
Also, how many kittens are there? Their need is of course greater with many kittens than with a small litter.

You can give her goats milk as supplement. Contains also calcium.
Or some good kmr.
Perhaps also some nice vitamine paste. These are to find in a good pet shop.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she needs some wet food more often too. Food given right now should be kitten food as mentioned above,m it is higher in calories and nutrition. Most nursing females get very thin, if you can feel her spine she still needs as much as possible. Any wormer you get make sure you clear it with the vet, make sure it takes care of tapeworm too, most don't and most cats have them. If you are able to wait until the kittens are eating a little on their own, it may make it safer for them. Some wormers may harm the kittens.
You will be blessed for helping her, you have a big heart, THANK YOU!

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can't really over feed a nursing queen. Wet food is much better for her than dry. She should be fed wet food 2-4 times a day and dry should be available all day and night. also its kitten or kother and kitten food you should give her. If you start her on this regime and she loses weight take her to a vet, she could have parasites. Also, are the kittens gaining weight? They should gain weight every day. Let us know how she goes. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessie118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens are gaining weight and growing and developing very fast! I will definately get more wet food for her and check in with the vet if it doesnt help. Thanks for the advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessie118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ill definatly switch over to kitten food. I thought kitten food was used as a supplement not their full diet! Thanks for your advice, i just want the best for these kitties