Ruby – 3,830 days was not enough

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The picture of Ruby looking at the Kraft dinner, with her big eyes, and surveying the mass of toys that she acquired says everything about her life with you. It reminds me of that old well-quoted poem which ends with the line "t'was heaven here with you."

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this news! I didn’t realize Ruby was sick, and I'm shocked and sad to hear she's gone.

But you were clearly the best Rubysmama ever. You gave her such a good life and she knows how much you love her. I wish you'd had more time, but you definitely made the most of what you had.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I had no idea your beloved Ruby was so ill,I was shocked on our puzzle thread to read Sweet Ruby has crossed the Rainbow Bridge- I'm sorry I am at a loss for words right now - my heart breaks for you

I am truly truly sorry ,my deepest sympathy goes out to you my Friend...... I don't know how you puzzled,how you wrote one of the most beautiful memorials I've ever read except that Ruby is beside you giving you strength in spirit by her Eternal love for you......

Rest in Peace now darling,beautiful ,sweet Ruby 🙏❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the beautifully written posts about my precious Ruby. Your kind and thoughtful words brought tears to my eyes.
I know how difficult reading these threads can be, so for so many of you to post, means more to me than you can imagine. :heartshape:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, rubysmama rubysmama to hear of Ruby's passing. My heart is with you. As is Waffles's, Mooshoo's, and Ziggy's. Waffles commiserates about never wanting to go outside, as a fellow stray.
That is lovely about sending you a song. Such comfort.
What a wonderful life you gave her, it brought tears to my eyes. And she gave you a wonderful life.
I hope her memories bring you comfort in the days ahead, she is peaceful now. 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night, with my heart breaking, and tears streaming down my face, I said good bye to my darling girl, and let her cross over the rainbow bridge.

It was almost 10 1/2 years ago, or 3,830 days to be exact, that I had adopted a beautiful orange female cat, who I named Ruby. Her history was mostly unknown, other than she’d been brought to the shelter a month earlier by someone who’d rescued her from kids kicking her. She had 2 broken upper canine teeth, a wobbly eye and needed to be spayed. Her prior owners clearly didn’t take care of her, and I determined I would make the rest of her life the best it possibly could be. Her age at that time was estimated to be 2 or 3.

View attachment 476015

Ruby wasn’t the healthiest cat, even from the beginning, with digestive issues that may have been IBD, and occasionally involved vet visits when she had flare ups. But I still believed she could live a long life, and was saddened when she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in December, and then recently progressive kidney disease. I had hoped both could be controlled for a while, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Despite her mistreatment while a stray, Ruby was a loving, curious cat, who would make friends with every human who entered our home, whether friends of mine, or a stranger who came to fix a plumbing problem or clean the furnace. She’d purr up a storm, and give head bumps, and sometimes offer her assistance with the repair.

She did despise being held or restrained in any way, but was a super snuggler and a lovable lap cat.

Because of her tummy issues, and the fact that I am vegetarian, Ruby didn’t very often get to sample people food. But there were 2 foods I would always have to share with her – French Fries and Kraft Dinner.

View attachment 476016

She was never really a cat to participate in play time, but not for want of toys.

View attachment 476017

Though she was the only cat of the house, and I’m not sure if she would have accepted a feline friend, she did have an interest in other cats. If she spotted one outside, she'd run from window to window watching it. She’d also come running to a room and jump up in the window when I called, “Ruby, I see a cat”.

View attachment 476019

She never showed interest in going outside, other than once or twice stepping out onto the front step, when I would gently turn her back inside. I think she remembered from her days as a stray that outdoors was a dangerous place, and inside was better, where she could spend hours in her condo in the window, enjoying the warmth of the sun.

View attachment 476018

She was a very vocal cat, and we’d often have long conversations, with her usually having the final word.

I could go on and on about my precious girl, but I think I’ve covered the key points I’ll always remember about her.

Having her in my life was the best I ever could have asked for. I only wish we could have had more time.

View attachment 476020

Last night after I came back to my empty house, I eventually went to bed hoping to sleep.
Once I closed my eyes, the following words from the Justin Bieber song “Ghost” kept repeating in my head.

“if I can't be close to you
I'll settle for the ghost of you
I miss you more than life
And if you can't be next to me
Your memory is ecstasy
I miss you more than life”

So I sat up, grabbed my tablet and listened to the song over and over till I finally felt I could get to sleep.

I miss you so much, Ruby baby. I’ll love you forever. :hearthrob:

I am very sorry about your loss. Ruby was a sweetheart! My baby Pumpkin died on April 25th. Perhaps he and Ruby already met and they are playing in Heaven!

I wish that I had words of comfort for you. You're certainly not alone.

This was a beautiful tribute. Thank you! <hugs>

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I know how difficult reading these threads can be, so for so many of you to post
Yes, I don't read this thread as often as I should because I have such a difficult time. But I just had to let you know how terribly sorry I am that you said goodbye to your gentle, loving girl, Ruby. I fondly remember that she shared a common gotcha day with Carleton and will think of her at that time of year. She will be in my thoughts as will you. :hugs: RIP sweet angel, run free of pain and please keep all our other cats who have gone before you company.:angel:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so appreciative of all the lovely messages everyone has posted. Thank you so much. :heartshape:

This is my 4th morning without my girl, and it's hard getting into a new routine, as she was a huge part of everything I did. One thing I need to do is mop over the floors. However, after spotting this yesterday, I think I'm going to have to wait a bit before doing that.

pawprintscropped.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the additional messages. I wish I could comment on each post, but I'd never be able to see the screen to type, as my eyes tear up just reading all the lovely words. :redheartpump:

I recently bought a new phone, and was thinking because Ruby had been ill since I bought it, that I had no pictures of her on it. But I was wrong, and I have one, taken April 8th, when she was still feeling ok.

She didn't know I took this pic, as it's her reflection in the mirror. She loved lap naps, and when she wanted lap time, she'd sit on the ottoman, patiently waiting until I noticed her. Once our eyes would meet, she'd start meowing until I sat on the sofa and put the throw over my legs and then she'd crawl onto my lap, curl up and snooze.

1715684550221.png

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the additional messages. I wish I could comment on each post, but I'd never be able to see the screen to type, as my eyes tear up just reading all the lovely words. :redheartpump:

I recently bought a new phone, and was thinking because Ruby had been ill since I bought it, that I had no pictures of her on it. But I was wrong, and I have one, taken April 8th, when she was still feeling ok.

She didn't know I took this pic, as it's her reflection in the mirror. She loved lap naps, and when she wanted lap time, she'd sit on the ottoman, patiently waiting until I noticed her. Once our eyes would meet, she'd start meowing until I sat on the sofa and put the throw over my legs and then she'd crawl onto my lap, curl up and snooze.

View attachment 476266
That's a beautiful photo, calendar worthy IMO. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh heck. I'm just seeing this now. I hate crying, it's so messy! First HeKitty & now Ruby?! It just isn't fair. All of us TCS old-timers, our cats are getting past the 10 year mark. It's not long enough! My heart & tears are with you. ❤

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She loved lap naps, and when she wanted lap time, she'd sit on the ottoman, patiently waiting until I noticed her. Once our eyes would meet, she'd start meowing until I sat on the sofa and put the throw over my legs and then she'd crawl onto my lap, curl up and snooze.
This really struck a chord with me. It's the little habits they have that make you remember how much they are connected to you in some way. :catlove: I'm glad you found the pic of Ruby on the ottoman in your new phone to keep this memory forever.:hearthrob: It was kismet.

Last edited: