non-hissing kitty...

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard LuckyGirl hiss. Ever. Even, if you annoy her and she doesn't wanna be held again, even when I had a dog in the house (clearly she was not happy), even if you put food down and then take it away, or put your hand over the food. Nothing. She won't hiss or growl at all ever. Hubby says it's cause she's just so greatful to have a home and food and love that she just never complains about anything. But is this normal? Does anyone else have a non-hissing cat? Just curious.....

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should never see a cat hiss over food or at you for a behavior they don't like. But I am surprised that she won't hiss at the dog. Maybe she's just a really laid back kitty
. Usually hissing occurs when another cat is brought in or another animal (dog or other) is introduced.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only time Trent hisses is at the vacuum and when he's guarding the front door from the window and someone comes past the window. But it's just too funny because he's this big 16 pound kitty, with this teeny tiny little hiss. If you breathe out hard it's louder than his hiss! I try to tell him that he's just not going to scare anyone with that, but he's pretty sure he's intimidating to the vacuum at least.

Ophelia, on the other hand, hisses at her shadow.
She also knows that Daddy will come protect her if she hisses at Trent, even if she's the one who started it. So she's always hissing and growling. LOL

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Consider yourself lucky!
My little tuxedo kitty, Gracie, hisses and growls on a pretty regular basis - usually when po'd at Peter and Claire for annoying her. I rarely hear my other three hiss, though.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Phenom has hissed once. And that was when I scared the bejesus out of her!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zissou's never hissed or growled at a person except one guy my roommate had over who was trying to play with her and took it too far. As for other cats, she only hisses at strays outside when she's on her leash. Even when the other cats are hissing at or growling at her she tries to be friends and lays down with her tummy up and ears down...
I wouldn't say its that unusual for a cat to not hiss. If Zissou never saw other cats aside from my sisters and the one incident with the guy trying to play with her hadn't happened then I'd never hear her do it either.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard Ginger hiss OR growl. She has a great disposition! Then again, I'm sure she would if she felt threatened enough. Hopefully, she'll never have to experience something that would cause her to!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only one of mine that hisses is Sapphire and that just cause she's a B and hisses at everything
I think I heard Pandora hiss once and that was when Simon jumped right on top of her on accident (I Think) I wouldn't worry, you have a laid back girl

liberty's buddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Liberty does not hiss. I do not think she knows how to
. I have heard her growl a handful of times. However, she was really upset when did it. She does have a really nice scream that she use in place of a hiss on rare occasions. -kd

motherofeight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard my male cat hiss at all. He growls all the time cause he's a big baby. One of my 8 week old kittens has been practicing hissing and growling lately. Usually he's doing it at a blanket. All my female cats hiss and growl.

Tanya

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Godiva and Bandit never hiss. Godiva hissed once at Ziggy when he got a sock stuck on his head once, but other than that, they are both very laid back.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
My Abi has never hissed or growled either. And I've really put her through it, with baths, nail trimming, medicines. In fact the only noise she makes other than purrs and chirps and chattering with glee is an occasional meow when she doesn't know what room I am in and a little squeak when she pounces on something for fun. I like such a quiet cat. My mother always has siamese and they were VERY chatty. almost obnoxious.

We had a feral cat live in our yard in denver for about five years. he would come for dinner when called, and he was so deeply ambivalent he would hiss/meow. Even when he climbed up the screens to tel us he wanted to be fed. (this was before I started allergy shots or I would have let him inside and attempted to tame him some. ) we adored him; and then one day he just never came back and we had to mourn the loss of him.

This is why Abi will never go outside untethered.

sarathan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, I've never even thought about until you posted this. But now that I think about it, I've never heard either one of my kitties hiss at all either. In fact, I've never even seen them the slightest bit upset about anything. But we've only had them for two weeks, so there's plenty of time for that...LOL.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loki only hissed once inhis life. When I first got him I accidentally stepped onhis tail - ddidn't know he was there.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never heard my male cat hiss even though he has made several visits to the vet for illness. When he comes back from the vet my female cat would hiss at him for two or three days so I started taking her with me when I take him to the vet. He has never done that to her even when she was at the vet overnight for spaying.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big Guy Dino is a bit of a freak, he hisses at all sorts of things, usually things that are out of place, but it could be anything from the hoover to a pair of shoes or even the laundry pile waiting to be taken downstairs. Sometimes he´ll approach whatever it is, very slowly and creeping very low, he´ll have a sniff or two then decide............no dont like that and promptly hiss just to let it know I suppose............awh shame eh !!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst sound I ever heard her make was when she got her shots at the vet, and it was kinda like a cry.....MMMMRRRROOOOOOWWWWWWWWW....and you could hear the pain & fear in her voice. But no hissing. And growing up I had a ton of cats, that was what they did to tell you they didn't like whatever you were doing. They growled or hissed if you held them too long for their liking. Or if another cat came by and they wanted your attention... but not LuckyGirl, she is chatty cathy, and never growls or hisses.

Hubby says "she's just sooooo happy we found her, she simply has nothing to hiss about!"

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heather, we never heard my Tiggy hiss once until we brought Bailey home last August...........he hasn't stopped. Heck, they all hiss at eachother.......it's funny. It's never nasty, it's just their way of saying, Bug off!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My new baby, Ismene, is a hisser and a growler, she's a teeny-tiny little girl, but the growl is enough to scare anybody!