non-hissing kitty...

keelyg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard a hiss or growl from mine. In fact, she doesn't really meow either - except when she's in her pet carrier going to the vets or if she's really, really scared.

Except this morning - she did a tiny meow as I was saying 'goodbye, mummy has to go to work to keep you in cat food' - just so I could spend the rest of the day feeling awful about leaving her on her own - she might be getting a new little friend!

Is it OK to have a non-meowing cat?

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard Tavia hiss, but if people besides me (I know she doesn't to me cause dad has said so) are walking around outside or come near the front door she growls, and if the dogs are barking at the coyotes then she growls. Now I had a kitten who hissed and spat at everything when I got her she was big enough to barely be bigger than my two hands if that big and she jumped in my pitbulls face claws and all luckily my pit had a good temperment and just looked her like are you nuts.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keelyg

I've never heard a hiss or growl from mine. In fact, she doesn't really meow either - except when she's in her pet carrier going to the vets or if she's really, really scared.

Except this morning - she did a tiny meow as I was saying 'goodbye, mummy has to go to work to keep you in cat food' - just so I could spend the rest of the day feeling awful about leaving her on her own - she might be getting a new little friend!

Is it OK to have a non-meowing cat?
of course.. Wonton doesn't meow much at all. In fact he's so silent that if he meows it's an "event" - "Wonton meowed today!".

He has hissed, though. He hisses at the vaccuum cos it's his mortal enemy..and one time i was playing with him with a stuffed dinosaur and he suddenly somehow got threatened by it, his tail puffed upand he growled at it and hissed at it. And then there's the time he freaked out on me-when i tried to spend time with him a few days later, he was sitting on the head of the bed and me at the foot. i very slowly, carefully got up to get a glass of water, and he gave me the "owwrrrrrrr" low grow and then hissed at me. i couldn't believe it-my kitty hissed at me! thank heavens he's back to normal now.

lightfx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I brought home my first kitten I thought he didn't know how to hiss. My little brother told me he growled at him because he was new to him and he was playing roughly, but even then I think it was probably a low meow. Other than that, he never hissed or growled again until I let him out for a few minutes to roam the garden. A stray cat came out of no where. They were staring at each other and I heard my kitten fluff up and hiss. I guess its instinct, or maybe he picked it up during that encounter
).

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Twitch hissed when I first got her, but it hurt her mouth to hiss, so she quit & hasn't hissed since. Ophelia is a crab apple, so she is always hissing at other cats. Lily is a timid little girl, so she hisses when she feels threatened. Lily hisses whenever she sees Ophelia's foot under the door(Lily & Ophelia hate each other). Damita being blind, has hissing fights with strange things all the time. She was telling off the computer tower as I coonected to the internet to get on TCS(dial up...ugh!).
Chico never hisses unless he feels that Damita is in danger, then he gets to be her superhero & protect her! Awwww....

Kittycatattack2289

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thinking maybe it's a vat breed thing. My one cat that's 8 years old has NEVER ever hissed. He also thinks he is a dog