No More Fancy Feast !

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss and the difficulty you are having.  You did everything with only the best intentions, but I know, from experience, it is an awful hurt.  My thoughts are with you.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@ander35, I believe you spared him additional suffering.  I know one person who did get the surgery for her cat but she said she would never do it again because there were many problems afterwards although he never blocked again.  Eventually she did put him to sleep to spare him more suffering, and that was only one year after the surgery.  I suspect you are feeling guilty because finances were considered in the decision.  I'm not sure if it will help you, but personally I would not do the surgery even if it were free.  I did have one cat put down in a situation similar to yours, and I have no regrets.  If he woke up after something like that with a cone around his neck and a catheter in what remained of his urethra, he would have thought he died and went to hell.  I couldn't do that to him so I sent him to the Rainbow Bridge.  I'm sorry for your loss but don't feel guilty. You did the right thing. 

Last edited:

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all very much, I needed that bad. And I apologize to anyone for insinuating that food advice from here was the cause, I just felt guilty.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For those feeding the grilled FF, check out Pro Plan and Purina One. Practically the same ingredients....same company......Purina.
So, if they are out of FF at a store then you can substitute easily. They look the same too.

I wish my cat would eat the better wet food....but she won't. It's got to be the gluten that is addicting, I think.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel you did the right thing, but I know it leaves you with a terrible hurt.  When I put my ill cat to sleep, I was so mad and hurt I swore I would never get another cat.  However, I visited a rescue, my heart started to melt and I put in an application.  I got a call that Speedy needed a home and when I went to meet her, she jumped in my lap and I was overjoyed!  She is my best friend in this whole world.  You had an agonizing decision to make and I hope you can feel like you did the best you could.  You should not feel guilty.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is exactly what happened to me exactly. Only i did not realize the urine thing and he is dead 9 months later from urinary blockage. I am furious at myself and the people here who said fancy feast is so horrible. I was even told here that I don't love my cat if I fed him Fancy Feast.
I saw this last week but wasn't able to reply at the time. I wanted to say that I am so sorry about your kitty and that I find it surprising to hear that someone dared to tell you that you didn't love your cat because you feed Fancy Feast. :nono: Please use the Red Flag in the lower left area of your post box to report such offending posts to our Mods. That was not nice. It is very possible that there was something more going on with your dear kitty other than the food type. :shame:

Fancy Feast IS a great low carb canned food and many a raw feeder on site will even back up this canned food type. Most people here on site are very kind about what others feed their cats. I feed FF and in fact, one of my cats will only eat FF. :lol3: I want to feed my cats canned foods (and am willing to feed almost anything they will eat!) and I do feed some commercial raw and would not tolerate anyone coming down on me because I feed my cats FF either. We are here to support each other and we have to be kind and flexible. I and, all of us, do the best we can for our cats nutritional health within our own financial budgets and in the hopes of the kitty going along with the plan. :nod:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much .. Yeah , I went to Pet Life I got Natural Balance L.I.D in flavors of  Duck , Chicken , and Salmon .. They were not crazy about the Duck or Chicken but they ate with kibble mixed in . They liked the Salmon one though..

I also got  Natural Balance Ultra , buy one get one free ..

Hound & Gatos  , 3 different flavors  ..Beef  , Pork , the one with Chicken , Lamb & Salmon ..

Daves , 2 pate flavors  Chicken , Beef & Chicken ..
with the natural balance duck or chicken flavors -- have you tried mixing some of the salmon in with it, not even necessarily natural balance salmon? while i understand that you may not want to buy these duck and chicken flavors on a regular basis (since your cats don't like them), you may be able to entice your two to eat any cans of the natural balance duck or chicken you may still have on hand by mixing something they do like in with it.

edited to add:  ooop! i hadn't read on further before replying. i see that you cats decided on nothing but FF. i can understand that, my girl is a very picky eater.

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

with the natural balance duck or chicken flavors -- have you tried mixing some of the salmon in with it, not even necessarily natural balance salmon? while i understand that you may not want to buy these duck and chicken flavors on a regular basis (since your cats don't like them), you may be able to entice your two to eat any cans of the natural balance duck or chicken you may still have on hand by mixing something they do like in with it.

edited to add:  ooop! i hadn't read on further before replying. i see that you cats decided on nothing but FF. i can understand that, my girl is a very picky eater.
Thank you for the suggestion . Mixing does not work with my cats .. 

Oh , yeah  they love that FF , only the Classics though .. . At  least they are eating wet food , so I guess I can't complain . 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the suggestion . Mixing does not work with my cats .. 

Oh , yeah  they love that FF , only the Classics though .. . At  least they are eating wet food , so I guess I can't complain . 
surprising to me that my girl really likes mixing some flavors together. i stumbled upon that concept out of desperation one day.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

surprising to me that my girl really likes mixing some flavors together. i stumbled upon that concept out of desperation one day.
That is good . Whatever works , right ? 

dpgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
NO WHEAT GLUTEN!

Fancy Feast Classics or Appetizers (anything but the Grilled or Gravy types) are one of the few brands without Wheat Gluten. Read your labels and know it is a deadly ingredient that will give your precious Kitty Cat Diabetes. We gave a our last beloved cat strictly Iam's Canned and Dry thinking it was a good product without
knowing about the Wheat Gluten. Carbs of any kind I any food especially table food is deadly for their blood sugar and kidneys! I speak from experience! When we got this Kitty I researched again on mydiabeticcat.com to decide which was best to start it out on, and Fancy Feast was highly recommended along with the raw diet.
The new kitty will have nothing to do with the "raw" so am sticking with Fancy Feast Classic flavors for new.
She does love the Whiskas Cat Milk. Give her small amount (ok for Adult Cats also) occasionally.

So Beware of Wheat Gluten!!!