Nikita's Obession With The Closet...

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So ever since I had, well, Prince, the closet has always been a place the cats have enjoyed going into for some strange reason. I have two closets directly across from each other, one hangs all my shirts and the other hangs all my pants, that closet also has the two carrying kennels and the vacuum cleaner.

Nikita has since learned to open the door to that second closet and likes to go in and lay down behind the vacuum cleaner. I keep shooing her out of there, but she keeps going into it. I don't think it's for shelter because she does it on calm days and moments when both of them are tired and laying around.

I can't figure what keeps attracting her to that closet, and I personally don't like her going in there because it's easy to not realize she's in there (I did that once with Prince, closed the closet door after getting something out and never realized he was in there until Nikita was sitting outside of it and I heard him meowing), so honestly any thoughts as to what could be drawing her into that one? She doesn't go into the other closet at all, just that particular one.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe there's something she likes about the way the closet is arranged-- cats like to find little nooks and hiding places, and once they do, they seem to stick with their favorites. One of Juniper's favorite hiding places is in our closet, tucked behind an old air conditioning unit that we've stocked there. We had planned to get rid of it, but if we did, I think she would be heartbroken!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She probably likes it, because she knows you don't want her in there. :D

More likely, though, she likes the quiet and secluded space.

She also may have seen a spider or ant in there once, and now is always on the lookout for another.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats love closets - wonderful caves to hide and sleep in and they smell like us, which makes them all the more attractive.

My girl rotates between various closets in the house, but mostly likes the laundry hamper and clean towel closets. I just leave closet doors open with a few of her blankets in each closet and pretend I don’t see her there.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats also like my closet and come running when they hear the door open. I used to let them chill in there until one day I caught Molly using her claws on my hanging clothes as a ladder to get to an overhead shelf, now the door stays closed at all times.

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you just keep the door closed to the closet if you don't need it, obviously making sure when you close the door the cat isn't in it lol!

Although now that I think about it, we have a second bedroom where we did not let the cat in, and she was OBSESSED with getting into it. One time I shut it without realizing she was in there and went to bed, and the bf found her 3 hours later. I felt SO bad, and was very relieved that there was no mess in there, as there is no litterbox in that room and she is only a kitten. After that I just leave the door open and she strangely no longer cares about that room. It has all my clothes and all of my makeup, so that is why I didn't really want her in it, but I figured if she could be in it locked in for 3 hours, she can handle the room. They are crazy little four legged folk. They have the entire house, but they want that one forbidden spot!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you just keep the door closed to the closet if you don't need it, obviously making sure when you close the door the cat isn't in it lol!

:yeah:

If it's a normal door and doesn't latch properly, either fix it or use a product like this to keep the cat from going inside. It probably won't work with bi-fold type doors but should work on sliding doors. You just have to remember to close the door and hook the latch back on each time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something like a hook was what I was thinking about. Yeah like I said, it does make me nervous having them in there because when it happened that Prince was in there, I don't think I knew for almost an hour because I was watching TV. I was horrified!

It's a sliding door, so I can't just close it like I can the bathroom door, so something like a that hook and latch would be helpful

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With sliding doors, you can just put a dowel rod in the track to block the door from sliding. My mom did this for security and it was really simple and effective.