"Niki's" update on struvite crystals in urine

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of you are going to think I'm crazy for asking this question, but how does one know that there is a problem with cats urine. I've had my oldest since July and the youngest since Sept. Both have been to the vet, spayed and all shots given. As far as I know they are in good health. From what I read on this site, URI's and other urinary problems are very common. What should I watch for. They share the same litter box. Thanks for educating me.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

All of you are going to think I'm crazy for asking this question, but how does one know that there is a problem with cats urine. I've had my oldest since July and the youngest since Sept. Both have been to the vet, spayed and all shots given. As far as I know they are in good health. From what I read on this site, URI's and other urinary problems are very common. What should I watch for. They share the same litter box. Thanks for educating me.
It might be better to open a new thread for your question. But, anyway I can just tell you what I've observed with my cats.

Usually the first time you notice a problem is when they pee outside of the litterbox. The things I've observed are:

-sniffing around the house like a bloodhound on a hunt. A little is normal, but I mean a new obvious behavior that can go on for hours at a time.

-hopping from litterbox to litterbox without completing their business.

-frequent excessive licking of their genitals

-reduced urine output

-more frequent trips to the box

That's about all I can think of. You're right to be concerned, but some cats to go their whole life without gettting a UTI. One thing you might do is add another litterbox (because they usually prefer options and additional 'territory') and just try and 'observe'
what is normal for them.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah when Zoey had her UTI I noticed that she kept going in and out of the box like, a few times in one hour but not going much pee so that immediately told me she had a UTI. Luckily my cats have never peed outside the box, despite their problems, bless their little hearts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another question. Where do you get the crystal litter?
Can you get it in a larger volume than what the vets give you to get a urine
sample, which is a very small amount that doesnt cover hardly any of a small
litter pan. "Niki" looks at it like it is emply and will hold out until 24hrs. or more
to use it.
thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
most pet stores have crystal litter