Next Step: Choosing a Breeder

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

As a breeder/exhibitor, I am always appreciative when someone approaches me in a show hall and tells me :

1. That my cats are beautiful
2. That they have done some research on my chosen breed
3. That they would love to become a show home for my babies and would like me to "assist" or "mentor" them in the first few shows - especially for my show neuters.

However, having said that - I am NOT appreciative (and can be quite abrupt) when someone approaches me in a show hall when I am rushing towards the judging ring. I love to talk to people especially about Abyssinians- but only when I am benched, not at the judging ring!
That I do realize!
I only approach them when they are sitting with their cats in the cages. When judging, I also pay attention to how they judge, what breeders are in that ring, etc. Thanks so much for the advice. I already have a select few breeders that I have in mind, but want to get to know them better and see how they treat their cats. If I don't like the breeder, then it does not matter if I like their cats. It will be a continuing relationship even years after I get a bengal. They always amaze me with their curious nature and they really are very beautiful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

As a breeder/exhibitor, I am always appreciative when someone approaches me in a show hall and tells me :

1. That my cats are beautiful
2. That they have done some research on my chosen breed
3. That they would love to become a show home for my babies and would like me to "assist" or "mentor" them in the first few shows - especially for my show neuters.

However, having said that - I am NOT appreciative (and can be quite abrupt) when someone approaches me in a show hall when I am rushing towards the judging ring. I love to talk to people especially about Abyssinians- but only when I am benched, not at the judging ring!
I've only been to a couple of shows, and those we attended purely by chance (went to the flea market and the fairgrounds and "wow, look! there's a cat show!"), but one thing I have always really enjoyed is finding out more about the different breeds that interest me (including, but not limited to, ocicats, Persians, Ragdolls, Abyssinians and Maine Coons). Seeing the expression on a breeder's face when you compliment them on their animals is simply priceless -- you'd almost think that they don't hear it very often, though I doubt they could ever hear it too much!

I like to watch the judging. Why on earth would somebody interrupt the actual show in order to talk to a breeder/owner?

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Some people do it to be annoying or they may not know any better.

Let's play "annoy the breeder" and see how helpful they are when we're done!

I suppose that I can see somebody not understanding how important it is for the breeder to watch the judgings, if they are inexperienced, but I've always gone to shows to *learn* something, and how can you learn something if you *aren't paying attention!*

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other "bad" time to approach a person you want to talk to is when they are grooming their cats to take to the ring in a few mins before. They are concentrating on making the cat look its best.

You can watch and follow them up to the ring and after the judging, go back with them and talk to them

Otherwise, you can show interest in a future show alter. Breeders are always looking for someone to get their cats out there, but you have to be serious in wanting to show - not just one or two shows and quit

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Which is the reason to start in the HHP
I've learned a lot through this, and that's great!

I really love shows for gathering as much information on different breeds as possible. That's part of how I determined the breed that I'd like to work with, is by talking to breeders. They really are a friendly lot, provided that you approach them in a sensible way.

I'm really looking forward to this upcoming show, and can't wait to tell you all how it goes!