Next Step: Choosing a Breeder

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think when I think "older" I'm thinking in terms of how young kittens are often given away when an unaltered female "gets out." In terms of kittens being given away at six weeks old, 3 months is an "older kitten."

But I also mis-wrote. I meant to say 4-8 months.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and we continue (on this board) to get people to understand why its better to keep kittens till 10-12 weeks minimum and to encourage those looking to adopt to bypass any kitten younger then 10-12 weeks old for a better kitten socially and mentally

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to say, "you aren't kidding." I've adopted younger kittens and older kittens. Whisper was only 9 weeks old when we got him, and he was a wreck at first (worse than he is now
). He was in good health and had his first round of shots and everything else, but that doesn't mean he was ready to be separated from his mother. I see *way* too many cats and dogs weaned before it's their time, and I've also seen the emotional response that occurs when this happens. I hate it for the poor kitties! Reagan acts like she was weaned too young or separated too young too -- she can be very clingy and is a definite comfort-seeker.

There are just so many benefits to a slightly older kitten. I've found 6 months or so to be my favorite age at which to get a kitten so far. You may not get the "cute" phase of kittenhood, but you aren't really missing out on that much if it's a cat you want.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a good thread for me to be reading since I am going to be getting a bengal in about a year and half or so. I've already been researching for half a year, went to a cat show to meet some breeders, etc. There is another show in feb, but this time, I will be taking MANY notes on all the breeders, watching the judging, seeing WHO is winning, etc. Nial has also been giving me some advice. So anything I learn in this thread is just gravy.
My next step after the show in feb will be trying to figure out the good breeders from the bad.

I was considering showing a show alter that way I could learn the breed inside and out, but what all does that include? How many shows would I be required to attend and how much do those shows cost?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no set limit on the number of shows you have to go to. If you want to win a regional or national award there is a minimum number to attend (or at least rings wise).

Bengals cannot be shown in CFA shows - only in ACFA and TICA (and maybe a few others). CFA doesn't even want to see a Bengal in the show hall (like in HHP classes)!

If you are working towards a Grand Champion (which usually if you show, that is your goal), then each association will have their rules on what is required.

For example (I show CFA and ACFA). In CFA, Charlie needs a total of 75 points to get Grand Premier (same as Grand Champion, but for altered cats). He first needed 6 winners ribbons (can be got in one show), then after that he could earn points for certain finals. He gets one point for every other "premier" he beats. For example:

there are 10 longhair premiers and 10 shorthair premiers in the class. If he got a Best AB (allbreed) premier he would earn 19 points (20 premiers minus himself) for that ring. If it was a Specialty ring he would only get 9 points (10 points minus himself).

Right now he has earned 25 of the 75 points (in 2 shows).

Now to make it more confusing to you

In ACFA, he needs 6 finals under 6 different judges and 2 of the finals has to be in the top 5 cats in an Allbreed ring. On top of that he needs to have a total of 16 winners ribbons. He's been in a few ACFA shows and has all his winners ribbons and 5 of the 6 finals. However, he still needs 2 finals in the top 5 AB alters.

Hopefully he will get those finals in the December show.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that CFA doesn't even consider bengals a breed and that I will likely only be able to show in TICA shows, but that's ok. Is there any place online that I can learn more about showing, the rules, and how to win points? I really would like to research that more before I decide between a pet or show quality bengal.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely interested too!

I really appreciate all the help you've been giving me/us, GoldenKitty. You have no idea what kind of a difference it makes to run into people who actually *care*!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the weblink for both TICA and ACFA - I'm not familiar with TICA rules, but you probably can find them on the website.

I went to one TICA show with Spooky (my rex). Didn't really understand what was going on (point wise) but someone told me at the end of the weekend that he had accumulated enough points to be a Grand Ch! - never registered him tho (for other reasons).

http://www.tica.org/html/english/home/

http://www.acfacats.com/

I think there are a few in here that show TICA, perhaps they can give you a brief overview of how things work.

BTW both TICA and ACFA accept Bengals - and I know there are some ACFA shows in your area

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Here's the weblink for both TICA and ACFA - I'm not familiar with TICA rules, but you probably can find them on the website.

I went to one TICA show with Spooky (my rex). Didn't really understand what was going on (point wise) but someone told me at the end of the weekend that he had accumulated enough points to be a Grand Ch! - never registered him tho (for other reasons).

http://www.tica.org/html/english/home/

http://www.acfacats.com/

I think there are a few in here that show TICA, perhaps they can give you a brief overview of how things work.

BTW both TICA and ACFA accept Bengals - and I know there are some ACFA shows in your area
Great! Thanks for the info. I hope to know more before I go to the next TICA show in Waco in february. I already found a couple of breeders I like and will pick Nial's brain to see if he agrees. I was so confused on the first show with all the different colored ribbons. I pretty much have researched as much as I can on the breed, now I need to learn more about showing, etc.

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure that this is a stupid question, but why doesn't CFA accept Bengals? Is it because it's a relatively new breed? I've always loved them, personally -- they are beautiful and have such great personalities!

I'm sorry for asking so many questions... But hey, we can't learn if we don't ask, right?

Thank you both for the further information! I'm sure that it will help both of us to get to where we want to be in terms of showing our cats!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CFA's policy is not to accept any cat breed that deals with any wild cat - since the Bengals were bred to the Asian Leopard Cat (wild cat) they will never be accepted no matter how many generations they are removed from the ALC.

Same goes for Savannahs and some of the newer breeds that may involved wild cat blood.

So until they (if ever) lift the policy, you won't see them in CFA show halls. I have heard that someone tried showing a Bengal in the HHP classes within the past year or so, and it was found out. The cat acted up in the ring pretty bad and that doesn't make it set well in the minds of the top CFA judges/executives!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ghosthunterbeck

I'm sure that this is a stupid question, but why doesn't CFA accept Bengals? Is it because it's a relatively new breed? I've always loved them, personally -- they are beautiful and have such great personalities!

I'm sorry for asking so many questions... But hey, we can't learn if we don't ask, right?

Thank you both for the further information! I'm sure that it will help both of us to get to where we want to be in terms of showing our cats!
One reason I came across is that they are considered "too wild" with CFA standards and they won't even acknowledge them as a breed. Someone please correct me if this is not accurate.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The closest you will get to a "wild cat" looking cat is the Ocicat - they are spotted like wild cats but 100% domestic cats (created from Aby/Siamese/American SH).

Charlie's a chocolate spotted Ocicat

ghosthunterbeck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

So until they (if ever) lift the policy, you won't see them in CFA show halls. I have heard that someone tried showing a Bengal in the HHP classes within the past year or so, and it was found out. The cat acted up in the ring pretty bad and that doesn't make it set well in the minds of the top CFA judges/executives!
Ugh! That really irritates me. It brings to mind irresponsible owners of "bully breed" dogs who make a bad name for all of them.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally have met a couple of Bengals in CFA HHP rings (they were slipped through and the various show management were chided) over here and yes, unfortunately for the breed as a whole, on those occasions the cats did act up
I have also met a few Bengals who are the most loving and wonderful cats around!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone is CFA realized all CATS have wild blood ... whether you beleive they came from Africa or Asia or Europe

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharky,

Yes CFA realizes that the domestic cat decended from some wild cats, but that's not what they are talking about. They feel you should not be crossing a domestic cat with any kind of wild cat. That means, ALC, Bobcat, Servel, etc.

Has nothing to do with the original ancestors of the domestic cats.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the next show I plan to take extensive notes on all the bengal breeders, I already picked up cards from the last one and checked off who I liked. I want to talk to those some more and hopefully meet some new ones. I will be finding out what generation, if they have contracts ( I really want a health guarantee), how much, if they are socialized etc. All that information will be compiled so I can make comparisons.
I am possibly thinking of getting a show alter to learn about the breed inside and out. That is something I could see myself doing and I know it requires a lot of time and care. I will know by the time I get one whether I want to pursue that or not.
What I want to know is what else should I be asking the breeders and should I mention the possibility of want to show an alter? I do not intend to breed at all and just want them to feel comfortable with me when I talk to them. I'm not pushy and I have been researching so I'm sure that will give them a better impression of someone who really cares and will know what to expect and what they are getting into by getting a bengal.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I am just biding my time to do research while I am saving up for a house that way I will be financially prepared and have plenty of space.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I am possibly thinking of getting a show alter to learn about the breed inside and out. That is something I could see myself doing and I know it requires a lot of time and care. I will know by the time I get one whether I want to pursue that or not.
What I want to know is what else should I be asking the breeders and should I mention the possibility of want to show an alter? I do not intend to breed at all and just want them to feel comfortable with me when I talk to them. I'm not pushy and I have been researching so I'm sure that will give them a better impression of someone who really cares and will know what to expect and what they are getting into by getting a bengal.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I am just biding my time to do research while I am saving up for a house that way I will be financially prepared and have plenty of space.
As a breeder/exhibitor, I am always appreciative when someone approaches me in a show hall and tells me :

1. That my cats are beautiful
2. That they have done some research on my chosen breed
3. That they would love to become a show home for my babies and would like me to "assist" or "mentor" them in the first few shows - especially for my show neuters.

However, having said that - I am NOT appreciative (and can be quite abrupt) when someone approaches me in a show hall when I am rushing towards the judging ring. I love to talk to people especially about Abyssinians- but only when I am benched, not at the judging ring!