Newly Adopted Stray named Buddy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Aw.... you are so sweet to work through this with such patience!

I'm so glad the hissing and growling is finally calming down!
Thanks, I just don't want them to get hurt. There doing so much better. I leave Buddy out of his cage and he walks over to Tiger and they give each other a big long nose to nose greating. Then Buddy starts rubbing his body all over Tigers cage. Tiger comes up and wants to sniff Buddy at that time. Very good signs There really starting to get used to each other. Although, at times Buddy will stick his whole leg through the screen but Tiger stays much calmer than he did a few days ago. This week i'm going to get the screen divider set up in the cages so they can be close together day and nite. That should help some. I'm trying to give them as much time close to each other so they can get used to each other more before I let them get together without any divider. It still will be intense but this preliminary i'm hoping will keep matters a little calmer. The fur will probably fly but at least I will feel I did everything possible for their get-together.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad this method is working for you, and they are getting friendly to each other. Do you ever let Tiger out, and leave Buddy in the cage?

I really don't think they should meet face to face the first time without a screen, in a cage.

If they do fight, someone could get seriously hurt in a small contained space like that. Plus, neither side of the cage is neutral territory.

I strongly advise you to let them meet without barriers, outside of the cages. Thanks for keeping us posted.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I'm glad this method is working for you, and they are getting friendly to each other. Do you ever let Tiger out, and leave Buddy in the cage?

I really don't think they should meet face to face the first time without a screen, in a cage.

If they do fight, someone could get seriously hurt in a small contained space like that. Plus, neither side of the cage is neutral territory.

I strongly advise you to let them meet without barriers, outside of the cages. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Oh gosh no. Sorry i didn't make that clear. They will have the full run of the house upstairs and downstairs(2-story) when they finally get together. Thanks for your concern and bringing that up. Yeah, that wouldn't be good.

When I leave Tiger out of his cage with Buddy in his cage Tiger usually heads for upstairs. Although lately he sticks around Buddys cage much longer and he even now comes downstairs to go to his cage on his own. Several days ago Tiger wouldn't go down and past in front of Buddys cage. Before I feed them they both meow at me to get fed rather than being so concerned about each other.

About three times a day I let each cat have the run of the house for a couple hours, then I switch cats. So far there not out together. There slowly coming around but it's taking time to get comfortable with each other even from a distance. But there progressing.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiger and Buddy have made great progress in their socializing. The last and final phase #3, one on one, should be this week.

In Phase #1 Tiger stayed in the training cage while Buddy was in 2-levels of the 3-story cages. Sessions were to let Buddy out of his cage and come over to visit Tiger in the training cage which was a few feet away. At first Tiger hissed and grawled at Buddy and didn't wan't anything to do with him. I think it was because Buddy would croach down and then charge Tiger's cage and that put Tiger on the defensive with the hisses and grawls.

After a few days Buddy began to calm down and he approached Tiger's cage in a more friendly manner. In know time there greetings turned into nose sniffing and then Buddy would rub his whole body on the side of Tiger's cage. Then a week ago Tiger began to put his paw out in an attempt to touch and play with Buddy. That was a major turn around for Tiger. After that he stopped hissing and grawling. He wanted to play now. I was so happy to see the change in Tiger that I wanted to get them into phase #2 and get them both in the three level cage with a screen divider.

Here are some pic's of the begining of their playing stage.

Phase #2 consisted of installing a screen divider in the center cage and cut a hole in the flooring so Buddy could have access to half of the middle cage. Here are some pic's. It took me four days to cut the hole in the middle flooring and re-carpet, construct a screen divider and frame it in, and fill the upper hole that extended to the right side of the divider to prevent Buddy from getting into Tiger's area. I wanted them to be able to play together through the screen divider without being able to get at each other one on one just yet. Here are a couple pic's of the layout.

Phase #2 in the divided cages has worked out really well. Each has there own area which consists of 1-1/2 levels with Tiger at the top level. They both stay in the divided cage overnite and get out during the day one at a time. Here are some pic's of their interaction.

I plan on phase #3, one on one, sometime this week. Hopefully everything will go well. Will keep ya posted.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I just love the procedure you go through and those cages are fantastic. You sure have things under control.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww...look at them play! I bet they are going to be the best of friends before too much longer. They will have the run of the house then, right?

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

Wow, I just love the procedure you go through and those cages are fantastic. You sure have things under control.
Thanks.... sure hope they get things under control when they go one on one later this week. I don't mind if they play hard so long as they don't bite and get the fur to fly.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Aww...look at them play! I bet they are going to be the best of friends before too much longer. They will have the run of the house then, right?
Tiger has changed and looks forwards to play with Buddy more and more. In my mind they have both settled down enough for them to get together.... couple more days.
Yes they have the run of the house now but one at a time. The cages are more for sleeping and when they eat. Tiger is on z/d feline for his allergies so they need to eat separately. Once there done eating which is twice a day the doors will be open to run around the basm't or all over the house. The house is more or less "broke in" from the other two cat we had for 19 years. They passed three years ago. Before we got Buddy, Tiger would go back to his cage in the basm't and sleep. It's much quieter there. When they are together they will be able to do the same thing. I think Wed or Thurs i'm letting them get together. I'll cut their nails and have a screen and a noise maker if it get too rough.
I thing their going to do quit well. I don't let Tiger outside anymore and I know Buddy wants to play and Tiger, a long-time stray, is starting to appreciate another cat around and wanting to play. Their ready to get together now.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlessedVegan

He is beautiful
Thanks, we think so too. He is just so full of energy, he runs 100mph around the house and sometimes bounces off the walls. He is a character. Tomorrow(thurs) are the one on one intros. They should be interesting. Hope things go well.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Phase 3 intro's when real well today.
This morning when I let Tiger out of his cage to clean his litter box. I heard a strange noise. I looked around and Tiger was playing with Buddy through the air gap in Buddy's door. He has never done this before. What a day to start phase 3 and the one on one intro's. I took Tiger up stairs and clipped his nails then put him back in his cage and clipped Buddy's nails. Buddy loves to chase a tennis ball. So I spent about a half hour throwing the ball around the house. Wanted to burn some of his energy off.

I when down to the basm't and got Tiger and held him so he wouldn't run away when Buddy got too close. Well he ran anyways to the other room and went back of the couch where Buddy followed him. It was much different this time. Buddy didn't pounce on Tiger to play with him but gave Tiger his space. If Buddy got too close Tiger just gave him a very soft growl. Buddy didn't stay long back of the couch watching Tiger but walked around the house. So Tiger saw that the coast was clear so he made a dash for upstairs and into the bed room with Buddy on his tail. Buddy kept his distance. Tiger was backed up to the wall under the bed and next to the end table. He was kind off cornered there. Buddy came and sat facing Tiger about 8" away. If Buddy got too close Tiger would give Buddy a very soft growl. Just a little warning that your getting too close and Buddy would back off. They stayed there about 15-20 min. and then Buddy walked off. I thought is was a good time for them to go back to there cages. Round one was a great success. A good intro without any serious fighting. That was a big change from a few weeks before when they got together unintentionally.

In the afternoon some more intro's.
Tiger ran up under the dining room table and up onto one of the chairs. I thought that was a great place for Tiger to be. He was off the floor and could better control his space. It was a good place to take some pic's as well.

Things went real good under the table... no fighting. After a while Buddy went into the other room so Tiger started for the upstairs. I had shut the bed room door so he headed for the computer room. Buddy saw him and followed him upstairs. Tiger wound up under the computer desk. Buddy so much wanted to play with Tiger. He was so cute. He first sat by Tiger then rolled on his back and inched his way to Tiger and even touched Tigers tail and foot without Tiger getting upset. When Buddy first came under the desk Tiger gave him a slight hiss. I couldn't hear it so i'm thinking it was just an open mouth without the vocals. Here are pic's of their interaction.

Notice on this pic Tiger has his paw outstretched in a friendly play gesture. At least that's the way I took it.

After Buddy's exit I thought it's a good time for a rest period and back in the cages.

I was quit pleased with their first intro's after the time in the trainning cage and in their new divider setup in their home. I'm glad I spent some extra time letting our two cat get to know each other a little better before these intro's. I think it went real smooth. I think a few more days of this and they can stay out of there cages together running around the house and having fun together. Good job kitties.

orpheygene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Loving this journey. Thanks for sharing it. Things seem to be going very well indeed. Both your kitties are so gorgeous.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by orpheygene

Loving this journey. Thanks for sharing it. Things seem to be going very well indeed. Both your kitties are so gorgeous.
Thanks.... the journey went smooth this morning but not so smooth in the evening. Details below.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another day of training. Sometimes I wonder who is training who. I think their training me to be patient.

Guess who's the instigator.
(the morning session)

A little more relaxed. I brought out the toy.

Enjoying their space.

Things went pretty good in the morning but the evening session didn't go all that well. It started out with Tiger back of the couch. The usual low growls from Tiger. They were back of the couch for about half hour and I was getting hungry. I started to make some soup. I opened the can and I walked over to put it in a pan when I saw Tiger in the middle of the hallway. I think he thought Buddy had left. Well he was wrong. Buddy started to chase Tiger right in the kitchen where I was standing with an open can of soup. All hell broke loose with both of them rolling around fighting right in the middle of the kitchen floor. Tiger started to scream quit loud. I tried to break it up the best I could by telling them no... haha. The only thing I had left was my slipper and I gave Buddy a nudge with it and they broke it up. Buddy walked away with his tail about 3" in dia. Tiger headed for the dining room chairs where they spent another hour entertaining themselves. This is like taking care of a couple rowdy school kids. Hope they get their act together soon.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tigerclaw

Things went pretty good in the morning but the evening session didn't go all that well. It started out with Tiger back of the couch. The usual low growls from Tiger. They were back of the couch for about half hour and I was getting hungry. I started to make some soup. I opened the can and I walked over to put it in a pan when I saw Tiger in the middle of the hallway. I think he thought Buddy had left. Well he was wrong. Buddy started to chase Tiger right in the kitchen where I was standing with an open can of soup. All hell broke loose with both of them rolling around fighting right in the middle of the kitchen floor. Tiger started to scream quit loud. I tried to break it up the best I could by telling them no... haha. The only thing I had left was my slipper and I gave Buddy a nudge with it and they broke it up. Buddy walked away with his tail about 3" in dia. Tiger headed for the dining room chairs where they spent another hour entertaining themselves. This is like taking care of a couple rowdy school kids. Hope they get their act together soon.
That's pretty normal. You kept them separate for so long, they really do need to work out the ranking order for themselves. It's awful to listen to I know, but they'll get it worked out eventually.