Newly Adopted Stray named Buddy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WOW! the day after his neutering, which was yesterday, he was still celebrating his home coming. He overturned his sleeping bed and dug half his litter all over the carpeting in his cage. He was a terror. I had to put him in his carrier and bring him upstairs and vac the cage out. Thank god he's not reluctant to go in his carrier. He doesn't associate the carrier with anything bad.

Today he finally settled down to a more normal state. One thing though he is now edicted to his wand toy. He won't leave it out of his sight. Before his neutering I spent a lot of time playing with him and the wand toy is his favorite. If I hide it from him he finds it even on top of the table. It's hard to hide it from him and get him in his cage because he always wants to know were his wand toy is. He is so funny. He is going to make Tiger a real good companion when his quarantine is over on the 14th, then I can start to socialize the two of them. Can't wait to get them together.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The past few days I have been letting Buddy(B/W kitty) roam the house with Tiger(resident kitty) locked in a room, to spread his scent around so both will get each others scent before actually seeing each other. I have been exchanging hand towels placed in each others bed which I placed under their food bowl and when I gave them treats. That part went real well.

So Sat. I started the sight smell routine through the screen. I thought it best to start with Tiger out on the back deck and Buddy inside the house. Tiger was sitting on his mat when I let Buddy out of his pen. First off they touched noses for a good smell of each other which was a familiar smell from the hand towels and scent around the house. Tiger took a brief smell and walked off. Poor Buudy wanted more and was eager to play. Tiger walked away and sat on the deck looking at Buddy with little concern. Both are pretty well mannered. Sunday morning they did basically the same thing.

So Buddy started to think if Tiger doesn't want to play, i'm going to play with your favorite mouse toy.

Please Tiger will you come over and play.

Will you please stop taking all those pic's of me.

Tiger will you quit laying out in the grass and come over and play.

I guess no one wants to play. maybe later.

This afternoon we placed a screen between the laundry room and the family room. Things started the same with a big nose to nose sniff and then Buddy realized, hey this guy is now in the house with me. Buddy got a little excited so Tiger raised his one paw to calm him down and he backed off some. Tiger then walked a few feet back from the screen and sat down. Buddy did the same thing. Good vibes between both of them. No vocals, both stayed relatively calm. Things went real well. I'm planning to continue this exercise through the screen for a couple days at least. Looks like their going to make great friends.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are going great!!!! Awesome pictures. Buddy is adorable!!!

Glad the intros are off to a great start! They both seem so sweet and tolerable of a new kitty in their life!

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks bunches.

Had a little excitement this morning. I've been doing the cat on either side of the screen socializing sessions in the morning and evening for about 1/2 at a time. Well this morning I went down to the basm't to feed and clean Buddy's litter box. There are two doors to each cage, one at either end. Food and water on one end and litter box on the other. So I had both doors open. So I went to get Buddy some fresh water so I put him in his cage and forgot I left the other door open. I went upstairs and filled the water bowl, but when I opened the basm't door to go down again there was Buddy at the door and he ran into the house area where Tiger was. Well the chase was on. Tiger is very even mannered and would rather run than fight. In fact I have never heard him hiss or grawl.

I tried to catch one or the other but they were too fast and Buddy was chasing Tiger all over the house. I ran down to the basm't to get a window screen to break thing up. When I got back upstairs I called to them but didn't hear a sound. I looked all over the house and couldn't find them. Then I heard some hissing. Buddy had Tiger backed into the desk under a chair where his mouse toy hangs. They where both sitting there in a stail mate a foot or so apart. Tiger gave Buddy a couple hisses so I put the window screen inbetween them and Tiger went into the other room while I was able to pick up Buddy and bring him down stairs. After they were separated they went back to their old self. Didn't seem to bother either of them which is a good sign. Even after the screen/socializing sessions, I would leave Tiger back to running the house and he doesn't even look for Buddy. He seems not to concerned about him other than when he gets chased.

At the evening session today Buddy's body language was much better. I used the wand toy on him. It got his mind in a playful mode rather than the intense look at Tiger. Buddy even walked up to the screen an rubbed the side of his body on it while Tiger stayed near. Once Buddy settles down a little more then I think they will be good together without the screen. I hope that's soon.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is terrific! I love reading all about it. Buddy really really wants to play! Poor Tiger hasn't quite figured that out yet, but I bet he will, soon.

PS thanks for the pics, they are wonderful!

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Buddy is like a kid, full of energy. Although, he is settling down a little and his body language is more normal. Walking straighter up and rubbing on the screen and other objects with is body. He is not laying flat on the carpet ready to launch himself at Tiger anymore. I can see that Tiger is picking up on Buddy's new calmness and is giving the low meow like he wants to get on the other side of the screen. Yesterday morning Tiger was giving Buddy the very low sounding grawl telling him he was displeased with his behavior.

Today it's much improved so much that I was thinking of leaving them get together. But I thought i'd better give them a few more days with the screen inbetween them. It's funny that Tiger is usually the one who wants to play with other cats but with this new ball of fire he isn't quit sure about him yet. So he just tries to avoid him. I can see their getting to understand each other a little more each day. I'm pleased about the way thing are progressing.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friday the 23rd Buddy wasn't feeling very good. He wasn't moving around too much. His eating slowed down and he stayed in his bed most of the time. Saturday morning not much change so I called the vet to bring him in. They took his temperature and it was 105.1-F and showed tightness in his stomach. They gave him all kinds of tests from liver/kidney to red/white blood cells to urine check, x-rays and barium with another x-ray that showed the barium moving into the intestines which was a good sign. All the tests were ok.

They put him on antibiotics, and injected some fluid under the skin as a temp. I-V. We talked about getting him to an emegency clinic to get his fever down. But decided to wait till Sat evening (6:00pm)and I was to take his temp. and see what it was. Talk about being worried for this kitty we just adopted.

Come 6:00pm I took his temp. and it was 102.4-F which was much better. The vet told me it should be between 100-102-F. Getting Buddy's rectal temp. reading was a new experience, but it had to be done. The vet called that evening to see how Buddy was doing. He was looking a little better but not much.

By Sunday morning his temp. had dropped to 101.5-F. Finally after 34-hours, Sunday 8:00pm Buddy had a BM. I couldn't believe the large hair ball he had passed. The hair is on the left side and the regular poop on the right side of the pic of his BM. I'm thinking the large amount of hair in his stool was causing him the problem.

Last week he did spit up a little hair-ball so I tried to give him some hair-ball treatment but he wouldn't eat it. I'm giving him a little vaseline once a day for a few days till he gets past this. I had been brushing him every other day because he was shedding quit a bit. I'm also giving him some canned food, 1.5oz twice a day to help with his BM's plus he gets dried food.

Today he seemed back to normal. He had a normal BM at 1:00pm. He's running all over the house especially up the stairs. That was quit a scare. In the end it turned out to be a $500.00 hair-ball. But the main thing, he's ok. We love him.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my! What a scare!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad Buddy is ok!!! That must've been one heck of a hairball.

Glad to hear he's feeling better!!!!!

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by killerapple

Oh my! What a scare!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad Buddy is ok!!! That must've been one heck of a hairball.

Glad to hear he's feeling better!!!!!
Thanks. I'm really surprised that much hair could build up in his system. He doesn't like the hair-ball treatment stuff but fortunately he like vaseline. Plus some canned food is making his stool softer which helps pass the hair balls.

Buddy and Tiger's socializing has continued with improved results. Buddy is projecting more favorable body language. He is more relaxed when he approaches the screen barrier. Tiger sees this and doesn't back away from the screen but stays there and actually gives the low meow and wants to get to the other side of the screen. Not necessarly to be with Buddy but I think to go outside. I think this weekend i'm going to let them get together. Their very close to being ready for the next step. Tiger goes down now to the basm't to visit Buddy in his cage. Although he does proceed with caution. Can't wait till they can be together.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How exciting! They both seem like nice friendly polite boys curious of each other but not being overly territorial. I look forward to hearing about their first meeting.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today(Sat.) I had Tiger in the family room while I held Buddy in my hands. So while Tiger was looking at Buddy from about 10 feet away I let Buddy go. He headed straight for Tiger and then a big fight. I quess Buddy wants to play and charges right at Tiger. Tiger doesn't want Buddy in his face and the screaming and fighting began. The fur started to fly. Then Tiger ran upstairs with Buddy at his heels. I could hear more screaming and fighting and when I got up to the computer room Buddy was standing there with his fur on his back and tail a little raised. Tiger was under a chair about 4-feet away, it was a stand-off. I put a window screen inbetween them and forced Buddy out of the room into the hall way. Tiger came out to see where he went. As they got within sight about 8 feet away from each other with the screen inbetween, Tiger started to give Buddy the low grawl. Tiger continued the low grawl for a while until Buddy left. I could tell that Tiger was a little upset at Buddy over this whole encounter. I picked up Buddy and brought him to the basm't and put him in his cage. End of session for the day.

I got to think later that maybe I should of left them together a while longer because it got to a point where instead of the chase it was a stand-off. Maybe at that point they could begin to come to terms with each other. I'll try again tomorrow. I just think Buddy doesn't know any better because he is still young and charges at Tiger to I assume play and Tiger takes it as something else and fights him off. They went at it pretty strongly. Will see what happens tomorrow. Any comments would be appreciated.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I used a restraining harness on Buddy. If I just leave him lose he charges Tiger and that results in a major fight. The harness with a leash attached to it did the job. Although, Tiger watched while Buddy jumped up and down trying to get at him from about 10 feet away. After a while he went away. Had no interest in this jumping clown of a cat. Buddy and I followed Tiger around the house and Tiger just ran into another room. Doesn't seem to be working too well. Can't even get them close and stay calm.

I feel sorry for poor Tiger. He is such a good cat and to put him through all this with the fighting. There not bad with the screen inbetween them but take the screen away and all hell breaks lose.

I could put both in a bathroom where Tiger can't run away and keep Buddy on the harness and leash. Then slowly get them used to each other that way. Right now i'm at a loss. It's going on 6 weeks since Buddy was neutered. So his testosterone should be down. Maybe i'll use the outside run and put Tiger on the outside. There is a larger mesh fence that might help them sniff things out. It worked with the semi-feral cat that had the kittens last year.

And I thought this was going to be easy. I can see it with a feral or semi feral cat but not with two real tame cats. Buddy just seems not to have any common sense and just dives in like Tiger is a litter mate and Tiger doesn't want him all over him just not right now.

Buddy must be around 1-1/2 to 2 years where Tiger is probably around 4 or 5. Buddy is much more active and playful than Tiger and that's where Buddy gets into trouble. Maybe i'll try the outside pen tomorrow. They can't get at each other and fight that way.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I thought I would try the outside cat run to see how Tiger and Buddy would react. So far the free for all and restraint harness methods weren't too successful.

I placed Buddy in the upper cages that attach to the outside cat run via the basm't window. The outside cat run is new to Buddy. He did alot of sniffing around and remained very calm and curious. When Buddy went out into the cat run I let Tiger outside. I threw a ball he chased to get him in the run area where Buddy was.

Tiger showed some interest in Buddy inside the run.

Then in a short while it was avoidance on both their parts.

Buddy loved his stroll outdoors in the cat run.

Oh my, I feel so lonely. I need a friend to play with.

I let Buddy upstairs and he thought... Oh, come on Tiger please play with me. For some reason I got the feeling that the outside cat run method is a more natural method of socializing. They seemed to be more themselves and stayed positive throughout the session. At least they stayed calm and didn't tear each other apart. Tomorrow I will continue this method and watch the progress if any. Both these cats are such sweet kitties it's hard to believe their having a hard time getting to know each other. I guess with any relationship it takes time to work things out.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I see you have some good lookin kitties yourself.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey Pete,

I've been following this but didn't want to respond since I'm not sure what to tell you! I'm such a newbie at cat intros and everything!

Food has been a good distractor for mine but I have mixed feelings about that - worrying it's a re-enforcer or something negative.

Have you tried using Feliway sprays of diffusers? Sorry - my memory is getting bad.

I'll be following your thread closely as always!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry Pete, I haven't been keeping up! Before direct interaction, I would have recommended area-swapping... put Tiger in Buddy's place and let Buddy roam the house for a while.

But it seems the main problem is Buddy is young and playful! Have you tried having a big play session with Buddy before letting them be in the same space? Work off some of his energy, let him calm down for a bit, then maybe give them treats together, and have a wand toy at the ready?

...and you're right - you may want to let it go a little further and see if they start to work it out. Buddy, at some point, is going to have to learn what Tiger's telling him. If you're worried about the stress on Tiger, I'd focus on giving him extra love and attention, especially in front of Buddy. I know it makes you feel bad for Buddy, but it helps reinforce Tiger's place. ....and if Buddy doesn't let up, then it is best to break it up for Tiger's sake.

The screen method was a great idea. You may also want to keep an empty can with some coins in it - shake it making a really loud noise can startle Buddy out of the "prey"/play mode.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes i've swapped scented cloth towels, placed screen inbetween them, Buddy even uses Tiger's litter box and drinks out of his water bowl. Yes i've also started the intro's by letting Tiger outside so Buddy can run all over the house to burn off some steam. He flys up and down the stairs. But as soon as he sees Tiger he focuses on him like there is nothing else in the world. It's like a lion seeing his prey, the focus and concentration is all on Tiger.

The last couple days i've been trying the outside run method and Tiger more or less just avoids Buddy in the cat run.

I have one more option and that is the training cage(3' X 6') that I have in the basm't near Buddy's cage. I think i'm going to put Tiger in the training cage for a few hours at a time with Buddy in his cage. The cages will be about 6' apart at first. This way they can look at each other for a longer period of time then before. Then eventually I can move the training cage next to Buddy's cage. Here is what the cage looks like. It is even carpeted. I removed the interconnecting cat walk and put a door on it. It's portable so I can move it closer to Buddy's cage later on.

Maybe this will get Buddy to get used to having Tiger around and stop being so focused on him when there one on one.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Man, you have a fantastic set up. Between the outside run and the "rooms" in the basement, there are two lucky cats in your home!

I think with time and patience, Buddy will learn his boundaries. Tiger has been only cat for so long, he needs some time, too.

We have a cat that still causes all kinds of stress when he gets a hair up his butt. He actually heads to the bathroom when we say "You need a time-out." It's actually kind of funny, although the oher cats don't think so after having been terrorized!

Keep up the good work. You are doing a great job!