Newly Adopted Cat Sleeping All The Time !

Rosemary51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just adopted a beautiful 11 year old female cat from the RSPCA.
She lived next door to a friend and I knew her as a "visitor" from the age of 2 years old.
Her owner abandoned her and 2 other cats recently and I fought hard to get her to come and live with me as I'm disabled and housebound and I already loved her loads !
She's been with me 7 weeks now and the first week climbed on my lap straight away but since then has never done so.
She eats and enjoys all her food and I slowly introduced some wet food into her dry food diet, which she loves.
She uses the litter tray and is very clean but the big problem is that she sleeps for about 23 1/2 hours out of 24.
She also sleeps with her back to me on my bed, although seems content.
However, she did kind of live on the street, although she had a home of some kind and I'm wondering if she's just tired now after being abandoned and spending 6 - 8 weeks in the cat shelter, frightened.
Can anybody help me out and tell me if this is normal behaviour ?
She's not afraid of me, waits for me all the time to go into each room but doesn't really show me any love now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosemary51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Thank you for adopting a senior cat! I would recommend getting her checked out at the vet. Senior cats can suffer from multiple ailments that could make them sleepy.

Health Concerns In Aging Cats
She was completely checked out at the RSPCA - given all her injections, had her teeth checked and fixed, checked for spaying, microchipped, everything necessary to make sure she was healthy in every way.
Thank you though for trying to help me.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what they say - cats supposedly sleep 16 hours a day. I don't know if that is really the average or what, but for someone that is home all day to say 23 1/2 hours a day very much raises medical concerns in my mind. The SPCA folks may not have done blood work -- I'm not sure what would be part of the standard package and what wouldn't. So its definitely a possible medical concern. That said, if you have never had a cat before, I suppose the 16 hours could feel like more, and maybe you were exaggerating a bit for us when you said 23 1/2. Cats sleep a lot. Most older cats do have at least one period of the day where they briefly act kittenish and will run around and/or play with you actively, but many don't do a whole lot in general. I could definitely see it being a big shock for a first time owner expecting a more active pet and more interaction.

Last edited:

Rosemary51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Yes, she does run around like a maniac for a while each day !!!
I did read that could be caused by additives in wet food, but don't know. It's good to see her rush around though.
Of course I'm assuming she sleeps all night on the bed with me as she's always there each time I wake up, which is about 4 or 5 times. She could be up to all sorts without me knowing though !
In the daytime she seems to be awake for a very short time, just when she's hungry basically and then goes back on to the sofa for another "nap".

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many older cats that have been an only cat (and sometimes also those that haven't) and haven't been played with much (or even if they have) kind of develop lump on the sofa syndrome. They just don't do much. Sounds like your cat is probably ok.

Have you tried playing with her? What toys do you have? If you don't have the right toys (and sometimes even if you do) it can be hard to get interest.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cranky 11 year old cat is content to bird watch and sleep. However when

I pull out a toy he turns into a teen again! (And he is only cranky towards his brother ;) )

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for adopting an older cat. She’s lucky to have you.

You say your cat uses the litter tray and is clean. Do you mean that she doesn’t make a mess or that her coat is clean? It takes a lot of time to make a cat’s coat look nice. If she’s keeping herself tidy, that would indicate that she’s awake for a few hours a day. Cats are crepuscular, most active at dawn and dusk. Watch her at those times.

My Ford (5-6 years old), a former stray, sleeps almost all the time. He wakes up for dinner (ours - he wants table food), to try to lick my ears in the morning (he’s one of many cats who are fond of ear wax) and when he hears a can being opened. Even Da Bird, which our other cats go crazy for, makes him open his eyes and maybe swat at it once or twice, but that’s it. Ford is just blissed out on the indoor life :)

Some cats are just not lap-sitters. She might prefer to sit next to you and that’s OK. She does want to be with you since she sleeps with you. Cat love is not always demonstrative but it’s love nonetheless.

Rosemary51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd love to post a photo but don't know how - I'll have a look see in a moment.
I meant she looks lovely and clean. She's always washing herself as most cats are and I bought a brush to groom her, which she loves !!!
I've obviously mis-calculated the hours she's awake as she does eat, use the litter tray and wash herself. She also has to wait a while for me to get up to feed her and clean the tray etc., so I guess she is awake more than the half an hour I posted. It seems that way though !
I've always had cats, apart from the last 5 years, but never a house cat and I've never been almost housebound, so I've not really noticed how long my cats slept before as they were out and about - whether sleeping outside or not I don't know.
I'm so glad she wants to be with me, she's back on the bed now !!!
She does also knead right near to me for about 20 minutes, the longest I've ever seen a cat do this ! However, she doesn't settle where she's been kneading - when she's had enough she moves to a different place on the bed and falls asleep !
She has a very soft purr and I never hear it except when she is kneading on the bed. I have to put my head really close to hers to hear it, so I guess she must be happy ?

I wonder if I've managed the photo bit ? !!!

Rosemary51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many older cats that have been an only cat (and sometimes also those that haven't) and haven't been played with much (or even if they have) kind of develop lump on the sofa syndrome. They just don't do much. Sounds like your cat is probably ok.

Have you tried playing with her? What toys do you have? If you don't have the right toys (and sometimes even if you do) it can be hard to get interest.

She was in a household of 3 cats usually, although the owners didn't care about them, so I really don't know why they kept adding to their "family". In the end of course, they abandoned them all.

I try to play with her a little but don't have any toys. I thought she'd be too old to play to be honest, but will get some if you think it might help.
Any suggestions on the right kind of toys would be gratefully received.

Rosemary51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cranky 11 year old cat is content to bird watch and sleep. However when

I pull out a toy he turns into a teen again! (And he is only cranky towards his brother ;) )
I must get some then - any suggestions for a cat of this age ? I'd love to see her play. I can't move much but can still play with her from my chair. :-)

Rosemary51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much. I love her loads and just want her to be happy. I think she is, just worried about the sleeping part but I think she might just be getting over the trauma of being abandoned and then in the shelter and getting used to having a nice home in which to be lazy !!!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would buy her a feather wand & one of those cat toy packs to start you off. (you can see if she likes crinkle toys, fake mice & the tried & true ribbon. Just be sure the ribbon isn't left out because it is dangerous if they rat it. I use braided leather cord and cats love it! Even our semi-feral.) I buy my boys a toy or two each month. This month I bought them a new kickeroo. Also my cats LOVE the rabbit fur mice/puff balls but they are hard to find. Buy her a variety of toys, play with her for 15 minutes every day (before dinner or before you go to bed) then see what she destroys/tears apart. Buy more of that ;) Rotate her toys every week or two so she doesn't get bored with them.

KONG Kickeroo Swirl Cat Toy
Petlinks Feather Flips Feathered Ball Cat Toy
Pet Fit For Life 3 Piece Retractable Feather Wand Cat Toy
Hartz Just For Cats Toy Variety Pack, 13 count

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(Dangerous if they eat the string or ribbon. It can get knotted up in their intestines.)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some others:

1. Cat laser pointer -- around $5, cats typically love them. Even an older cat might run around chasing the light for a bit each day. Highly recommend getting one. Tons of varieties listed on Amazon or available at any pet store;

2. Crumpled up paper ball -- free. Don't expect the cat to bring it back to you, but cats will run after it, and bat it around. Ping pong ball, aluminum foil ball are subs. Bottle caps from a coke bottle work well too. With any of these, you may need to throw it a few times before they get the idea, and you will need to rethrow it after they play a bit of hockey.

3. Cat Charmer - May be similar to some recommended above. But I have this one and they love it...
4. Da Bird feathered toy. Similar to what is recommended above, don't need all.
Older cats won't play for as long as a kitten, or want to play as often during the day, but you can still get in 1-3 shorter play sessions, which is fun for both of you and good for an inactive cat.

Last edited:

Rosemary51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would buy her a feather wand & one of those cat toy packs to start you off. (you can see if she likes crinkle toys, fake mice & the tried & true ribbon. Just be sure the ribbon isn't left out because it is dangerous if they rat it. I use braided leather cord and cats love it! Even our semi-feral.) I buy my boys a toy or two each month. This month I bought them a new kickeroo. Also my cats LOVE the rabbit fur mice/puff balls but they are hard to find. Buy her a variety of toys, play with her for 15 minutes every day (before dinner or before you go to bed) then see what she destroys/tears apart. Buy more of that ;) Rotate her toys every week or two so she doesn't get bored with them.

KONG Kickeroo Swirl Cat Toy

Pet Fit For Life 3 Piece Retractable Feather Wand Cat Toy
Hartz Just For Cats Toy Variety Pack, 13 count

Thank you so much. I can't get out but I'll look online at the pet store where I get lots of things from and see what they have. I'll order her a variety and see if they grab her attention :-)

Rosemary51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some others:

1. Cat laser pointer -- around $5, cats typically love them. Even an older cat might run around chasing the light for a bit each day. Highly recommend getting one. Tons of varieties listed on Amazon or available at any pet store;

2. Crumpled up paper ball -- free. Don't expect the cat to bring it back to you, but cats will run after it, and bat it around. Ping pong ball, aluminum foil ball are subs. Bottle caps from a coke bottle work well too. With any of these, you may need to throw it a few times before they get the idea, and you will need to rethrow it after they play a bit of hockey.

3. Cat Charmer - May be similar to some recommended above. But I have this one and they love it...
4. Da Bird feathered toy. Similar to what is recommended above, don't need all.
Older cats won't play for as long as a kitten, or want to play as often during the day, but you can still get in 1-3 shorter play sessions, which is fun for both of you and good for an inactive cat.

Great ideas, I'll go and look now. I'd love to see her enjoy something other than her naps !!!
It's a heatwave here in my part of the U.K. at the moment, down on the south coast, so she's feeling very lazy, like most of us.
I called her for a treat just now when I went into the kitchen but she couldn't bring herself to budge !!!
It doesn't happen often, this weather, so I'll maybe try to play when it's a bit cooler. I'm not able to move much but I can play with the toys around my chair, or throw the crumpled paper ball for her - I so wish she'd bring it back to me though ;)
Thanks a lot.

Rosemary51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great ideas, I'll go and look now. I'd love to see her enjoy something other than her naps !!!
It's a heatwave here in my part of the U.K. at the moment, down on the south coast, so she's feeling very lazy, like most of us.
I called her for a treat just now when I went into the kitchen but she couldn't bring herself to budge !!!
It doesn't happen often, this weather, so I'll maybe try to play when it's a bit cooler. I'm not able to move much but I can play with the toys around my chair, or throw the crumpled paper ball for her - I so wish she'd bring it back to me though ;)
Thanks a lot.

Yes, they have them all on Amazon UK - just checked.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you can't move much, a cat laser pointer would be easiest, no problem to use it while sitting. And most cats really enjoy it. Most of them come with batteries, but do check, since its a hassle if they dont.

The lure/ribbon toys aren't hard to use per se, but don't work as well sitting down.