Newly adopted cat... I need some reassurance

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chirpy noises are a good sign! I've got 2 chirpers and I only hear it when they're happy. Be sure to talk to him calmly and "converse" with him if he's meowing. Use a soft, calm voice so he becomes used to your voice and so he'll learn his name. You're doing great with him! Keep us posted.

david's steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you and Smithwicks are getting to know each other just fine! I'm so glad it's working out for you guys, patience and respect for his "space" is working out for you guys, I'm so glad to hear he and you are doing well...I will keep my fingers crossed the great progress continues (I'm sure it will)!

ewemule

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first met Nigel at his former home he was kinda skittish but playful. We took him home that night and he went into hiding in the library. For maybe a month and a half he was kind of a beast. Growling, hissing, spitting, lunging, etc.. At one time I thought maybe we'd have to find a different home for him, but I persisted and I'm now his "person". He'll growl now and then, but only if I get to aggressive with him. Occasionally he'll grab my fingers with his teeth and just hang out. We're best pals now ! Closing in on 3 years.
Good luck ! Sounds like you're making very good progress and are a first class "person" !

Marty

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You will want him to get used to your voice also. The best way to do this is to grab a good book/magazine and read it out loud to him while sitting on the floor. Ignore him otherwise like you did in your earlier visits. No, they don't like to look at pictures.

Cats love routine, particularly when they are under stress of a new owner/location. Feed him at the same time each day, change his litter at the same time, visit at the same time. Once in your new apartment, you can control the routine a lot easier with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

will2btenor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Here's the daily kitty update,

Today was interesting. I got there this morning and he was rubbing my legs like what started yesterday, and he let me pet his head for a few minutes. Then he went into hiding, so I left hom alone and came back later for a nap. I slept for a while but nothing really happened.

He was behind the couch so i decided to test the waters and see how he was doing, so I slowly reached behind and he smelled my hand and let me pet his head again, but then got a little hissy. I tried again, slowly, and this time he made some noises and very lightly bit and held on to my finger, like ever so lightly. It was kind of cute really.

Anyways, in terms of curiosity and closeness, today wasn't near as exciting as yesterday, but it felt more routinely today.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are slowly making progress
, and you obviously love him.
Even though it may not seem like it yet, he loves you to, it's just going to take time for him to trust. One suggestion, instead of reaching down to him, especially when he is in a hiding area, try to coax him out with a toy or treat. I know how much you want to be able to pet him and have him on your lap, but he needs time and encouraging him to come to you instead of going to him will break ground faster....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

will2btenor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

This will be my last update in this thread, but I am thinking of starting one in the introduction thread so I can update there.

My cat is doing wonderful, when I visit he is loving and cuddly, I pet him lot's, he still gets into little hissy fits but most of the time it seems he is playing, he's on his back swiping and nipping gently. It's quit funny actually. I have started picking him up and holding him, to get him used to it, and from what I see he enjoys it, purring the whole time, though I let him go when he gets wiggly.

Thank you all for all of your help, you provided me with the info to make this transition as smooth as possible, and we are both better off for it.

Thank you again,

Will

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Woohoo for you and your kitty! So glad things are getting better for both of you.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay, and please keep updating somewhere on the forum. I've read that when they expose their bellies to you, even if you can't really touch, that's a sign of great trust in you. I so glad you found each other, and I wish you many years of happiness with each other.