Newborn kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparrow89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a newborn kitten who's mother left him in abBox. He's about four days old now and I've been taking care of him since he was born, but recently none of the momma cats I have want to feed him anymore and when I try to get him close they just turn away and leave. I had put him in a box with a blanket for a awhile so i could do some things I needed to do and let one of my dogs watch over him (the dog would never want to hurt the kittens, the dogs adore kittens) and when I got back he was soaking wet from him cleaning him, missing the dried cord and also a toe on his foot. I put some antibiotic on his foot so it wouldn't get infected because it was bleeding, I haven't been able to get any of the cats to feed him still and he's peeing blood. I'm scared he's going to die and I don't know what to do, I don't even have the money to get a feeding kit and formula for him

The dried blood on the blanket is from his pee.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry for your situation.
I think you should take him to an emergency hospital right away. Explain your financial situation up front. Sometimes if they actually see the distressed patient they may be willing to help anyway.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can use a can of evaporated milk and add an egg yolk, a sprinkle of sugar, and a sprinkle of salt. Feed every 2 hours slowly in the side of the mouth with a syringe or dropper, letting the kitten swallow and breathe between drops.

Clean the toe area and keep your dogs away.

Are you sure the blood is not from the toe injury?

Keep the kitten warm. Do you have nursing mama cats with litters?

Ask for money from friends or relatives. You can also turn the kitten in at a local rescue and they may be able to save the kitten and let you foster.

Thank you for saving this kitten, but it needs medical help asap! It also needs feeding every 2 hours until you can get help.

Do keep us posted. Sparrow89 Sparrow89

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello, I have a newborn kitten who's mother left him in abBox. He's about four days old now and I've been taking care of him since he was born, but recently none of the momma cats I have want to feed him anymore and when I try to get him close they just turn away and leave. I had put him in a box with a blanket for a awhile so i could do some things I needed to do and let one of my dogs watch over him (the dog would never want to hurt the kittens, the dogs adore kittens) and when I got back he was soaking wet from him cleaning him, missing the dried cord and also a toe on his foot. I put some antibiotic on his foot so it wouldn't get infected because it was bleeding, I haven't been able to get any of the cats to feed him still and he's peeing blood. I'm scared he's going to die and I don't know what to do, I don't even have the money to get a feeding kit and formula for him

The dried blood on the blanket is from his pee.
Re medical problems, I dont know much and Im not even sure I understand what is going on.

Re food, goats milk is much cheaper than kmr, you can use this... And goats milk is easy to find..... If nowhere else, so in the baking section, they have powdered goats milk by Meyenberg? We had rescuer forumist whom happily used this.
Or in a pinch, if you have baby powdered milk; just dilute it less.
SArthurs recipe should work too.

You can begin with having a dropper... In the corner of the mouth, when baby is tummy down, head somewhat up. Train some on a doll, its somewhat tricky.

If you can get a needleless syringe proceed with it. You can often get it for free at an apothece / pharmacia / drug store.

If kitten very weak, you can try with putting a droplet of white caro syrup on the gum inside the lips.

Be sure kittens is nicely warm before you feed with body warm fluids mentioned above...
But if kitten is too cold to be fed, you can anyways put on this droplet of white caro syrup / glucose sugar. So it gets some energhy, and also, some calories for free.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps kittens whom had momma usually are reluctant to bottle. But if he is an orphan, it may be a bottle will work. Bottle is of course easiest for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sparrow89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps kittens whom had momma usually are reluctant to bottle. But if he is an orphan, it may be a bottle will work. Bottle is of course easiest for you.
Yes, he's orphaned. His mother had him and left him in a box, one of my dogs had notified me about it and he was crying loudly.

Sparrow89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bottom line is if that kitten is urinating blood, nothing you do at home will help and he needs vet care.
We don't have a car or money to get to the vet. I'm trying to start a go fund me so I can get the money to be able and take care of him correctly

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please tell me you are feeding the kitten! Did you see my post #4? You’ve had a few posts since, so maybe you missed mine. Please read it. A can of evaporated milk costs little.

I’m not convinced the kitten is peeing blood. You may be seeing blood mixed with your dog’s slobber due to the toe injury. Keep your dogs away and feed the kitten. Clean the wound. Keep the kitten warm.

Do you have nursing cats? If so, you can put this kitten to a nipple when mom is relaxed and feeding her kittens. If not, cats cannot nurse and have no milk if they do not have kittens.

Time is of the essence here. Most importantly, the kitten must eat and stay hydrated if it is to survive.
Sparrow89 Sparrow89

Sparrow89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please tell me you are feeding the kitten! Did you see my post #4? You’ve had a few posts since, so maybe you missed mine. Please read it. A can of evaporated milk costs little.

I’m not convinced the kitten is peeing blood. You may be seeing blood mixed with your dog’s slobber due to the toe injury. Keep your dogs away and feed the kitten. Clean the wound. Keep the kitten warm.

Do you have nursing cats? If so, you can put this kitten to a nipple when mom is relaxed and feeding her kittens. If not, cats cannot nurse and have no milk if they do not have kittens.

Time is of the essence here. Most importantly, the kitten must eat and stay hydrated if it is to survive.
Sparrow89 Sparrow89
Hello, I might have missed your message. I'm sorry that I did, and he is peeing blood. I stimulated him to help him and blood came out mixed with urine, one of my other kittens stimulated him as well and the same thing happened. I'm keeping him away from the dogs, I have nursing cat's but they refuse to nurse him and he won't latch to a nipple himself. I gave him a little bit of baby food earlier with some water so he gets hydrated and had something to eat. If was mushed carrots, he ate it. Thank you for your concern, of you need a picture of the blood when he pees I can do that for you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten has a poor prognosis without medical care if it is peeing blood.

The kitten is much too young to eat baby food at 4 days old. It needs milk. Can someone get you a can of evaporated milk? This, even mixed with just honey or sugar, will help. Are you using a syringe?

How is the kitten acting? Any energy? Sleeping, crying?

Sparrow89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten has a poor prognosis without medical care if it is peeing blood.

The kitten is much too young to eat baby food at 4 days old. It needs milk. Can someone get you a can of evaporated milk? This, even mixed with just honey or sugar, will help. Are you using a syringe?

How is the kitten acting? Any energy? Sleeping, crying?
Yes I am using a syringe and no, no one can get me a can of evaporated milk. Me and my grandpa has no money and no one else will be willing to send money.

I think his genitals are just irritated and when he pees it makes it bleed, he's sleeping. He had a good amount of energy and cries loudly everything i leave him alone without being near him or holding him. He's acting fine, and doesn't seem to be in any pain until he pees. He did poop earlier which is good, I always check up on him and i don't leave him where dogs can get to him

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What can you do for milk? The kitten must have some sort of milk. Please syringe honey or sugar water until you can get milk.

Do you have a local rescue that can take the kitten and properly care for it? That can come and get him since you have no transportation? Something must be done or this kitten will not make it. Have you called around?

Kittens this young cannot digest carrots. They can only digest milk.

I’m sorry you are struggling with trying to save this kitten on no resources. There is no magic answer. I wish there was. I wish you only the best.

Sparrow89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What can you do for milk? The kitten must have some sort of milk. Please syringe honey or sugar water until you can get milk.

Do you have a local rescue that can take the kitten and properly care for it? That can come and get him since you have no transportation? Something must be done or this kitten will not make it. Have you called around?

Kittens this young cannot digest carrots. They can only digest milk.

I’m sorry you are struggling with trying to save this kitten on no resources. There is no magic answer. I wish there was. I wish you only the best.
No, the only thing we have is the people who come get animals and they aren't good. They don't treat them correctly and a lot of the time they end up dying faster there. Thank you for telling me I can use honey and sugar water until I get milk, the carrots were completely mushed into a paste and I used water to help him digest it. I'll be using what you recommended instead of baby food now. I'm trying to get the money to get him some milk and I've been keeping him alive since i found him, I'm glad he lived four days already and I'm here to help him thrive since his mother didn't want to feed him.

I'll give updates when i can

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just do the best you can! A can of evaporated milk will give him nutrients. He cannot survive long on no nutrients. The honey water will do temporarily, but it has no nutrients. Hang in there and keep us posted. I hope he makes it! I’m rooting for you and the kitten! ❤

Sparrow89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just do the best you can! A can of evaporated milk will give him nutrients. He cannot survive long on no nutrients. The honey water will do temporarily, but it has no nutrients. Hang in there and keep us posted. I hope he makes it! I’m rooting for you and the kitten! ❤
Thank you, is it possible i can crush up a vitamin and mix it with the water to give to him? That way he can get at least some nutrition

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t think that’s a good idea. Do you have any baby food available besides carrots? Like the chicken meat baby food? Is there not a single person you know who could bring you a can of evaporated milk? It costs like one dollar or less. Where are you located? Are you near a store?

Status
Not open for further replies.