Newborn Abandoned Kitten, Trouble Nursing/Syringe Feeding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I mistakenly thought that if one eye was open it meant that the other was ready. Don't worry, we haven't tried opening it.

How does one give a small kitten Albon? I've been giving 1/4 a tablet to the 5 week olds by just shoving it down their throat. I'm worried the 1 week old doesn't have a big enough throat for that. Is this something that can be crushed up and put in his food? His poo is turning yellow, so I assume that's a sign he needs it. Or does that indicate something else? He seems a bit constipated at times.

Thanks again so much for all the advice and info!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need Albon suspension — not tablets for the kitten. Is he still having diarrhea?

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is still having diarrhea, though the consistency varies between having a shape and a thick liquid. Varies between tan and yellowish. We have noticed the times where he doesn't feed much, his tummy does feel mostly full still. That's why we were wondering if he's constipated on and off.

I don't know if I can get Albon suspension. It's prescription only and the shelter seemed to think yellow poop was normal on formula. His poo was perfectly healthy looking the first 6 days of his life, so I'm skeptical to say the least. Is there any other options?

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PetAG powdered. This one: PetAg Milk Replacer Plus for Kittens, 10.5 oz. - Walmart.com

If it was just yellow I wouldn't be so concerned, but how runny it gets at times worries me. Before the 6th day he was having healthy brown poos shaped like a tic-tac. I'll see tonight if his gains are still good. His appetite has been a bit lacking today, but he often eats better at the odd hours of the night.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot, separate issue. One of the 5 week olds slipped out of the crate twice now. I'm afraid to have the door shut now in case a bigger one of the litter tries the same things and gets stuck. Should I maybe transfer them to a large box? I honestly didn't expect this issue. I'm hoping the 3 week olds are too pudgey to pull this off.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Five week olds need to get out to play and explore. They should not be closed up in crates or boxes. Are they in a room where they can move about freely?

Also, can your shelter get Albon suspension for you? Do they work with a vet who can write a prescription?

Last edited:

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The shelter thought the 1 week old was too young for any meds. I'm afraid even if they have it they won't give it to me. Maybe a vet would if I made an appointment, but I have to wait til at least Monday at this point.

I have been letting the 5 week olds out every time I feed the little one. Often I'll leave them out for a while if I'm taking care of other cat maintenance things. So they usually are out at least a few hours a day. The room itself is reasonably safe for them. My main concern would be that they'll hop in with the 1 week old, which one has already. Obviously they won't try to harm him, but they paw at him a bit trying to get him to play. Guess we'll have to crate the 1 week old instead now. What age should we let the 3 week olds out to play? I just realized, they'll be 4 weeks old tomorrow. Thanks as always.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Four week olds also need to be let out to play and explore. They all need to be supervised, but they need some freedom now and mice and balls to play with. They need to leave the one week old alone for now.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
8 days old, 166g. He's eaten 45ml over the past 24 hours. Unfortunately he had a bad bout of diarrhea a few hours ago. I'm going to be stressed until Monday, but at least he's still gaining some. Also his other eye is open and the slight crustiness went away!

The 1 week old is now safely in a crate. The only thing that has actually been keeping the 4 week olds in their crate is a low sided small litter box. 2 of the 3 made it out tonight. I think the male kitten is too chonky to get over the crate ledge. In general he doesn't seem to walk as well as his sisters. Hopefully it's just him being a bit too big for his little legs.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
8 days old, 166g. He's eaten 45ml over the past 24 hours. Unfortunately he had a bad bout of diarrhea a few hours ago. I'm going to be stressed until Monday, but at least he's still gaining some. Also his other eye is open and the slight crustiness went away!

The 1 week old is now safely in a crate.
Good he has a healthy appetite., although 45 is quite along the rule of thumb, 8ml/oz a day.
As he has diarrhea, you can mix the excellent kmr you do use, with pedialyte instead of common water. Flavorless pedialyte for human babies, is best.

You could also try with some raw goats milk, if you can get this. It has some potential healing properties... Not cheap, but may help.
You can give it as it is, or blend it with the kmr; the ratio is instead of 1:2 water, so 1:3 goats milk.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, both of you. It's good to hear some reassurance that he isn't going to wither away over the weekend. The diarrhea has been bad this morning, but he's also been eating 5+ml most feedings.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 9, 170 grams. Ate about 45ml again. The diarrhea is either watery or like a more moist egg yolk(sorry for the gross descriptions). He seems to go through a phase of lots of diarrhea --> eat a ton --> eat a little, then repeat.

I'm afraid I'll have to wait til Tuesday to get him meds. My family is down a car. Though I'm honestly not optimistic about the local vet just because of how rural it is. I'm hoping since he's 10 days old on Tuesday the shelter will be more willing to give him meds(shelter is closed on Mondays or I'd at least call today). He really does seem to have the symptoms of Coccidiosis, but is there any other issues I should consider? I'm just worried I'll get the Albon suspension tomorrow only for a new symptom to show up or something.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like he needs meds, but as long as he’s eating well, tomorrow should be okay. His weight is still good for 9 days old.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 10, 161g. I'm beyond upset, I can't get him to eat. He's mostly gnawing at the syringe, but even the one time he did fully latch, nothing happened. I tried the other nipple, a new syringe. Is he just too weak? I'm so worried and I don't know what to do. His last 2 feedings were lackluster too. He's probably becoming really dehydrated.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did put some honey on his gums and slowly gave him some drops of pedialyte. I was able to get him to drink 2ml of formula/pedialyte just now. I think I'll keep offering him formula every 1 hour until I can get him to the shelter in the morning. Pinching his skin, he seems dehydrated, but not severely so. But my experience is based off of old cats who have trouble eating. I'm not sure if it applies to kittens the same.