Newborn Abandoned Kitten, Trouble Nursing/Syringe Feeding

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just had a post on here about a separate sick kitten. This one is a newborn that our neighbor says was abandoned. It's litter mates had already passed. She believes they were born yesterday. They all had the umbilical cords still attached. We tried to get it to feed on the other momma cat we have, and it wasn't latching. I did get a Miracle Nipple, so we've slowly been giving it a drop at a time using a syringe with that. Problem is the kitten sounds nasally after and I think a few little droplets of milk have been coming out. Is this likely a cleft palate? Honestly I know things don't look good for this kitten, but I feel like I at least need to give it a chance. Any resources would be appreciated.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just had a post on here about a separate sick kitten. This one is a newborn that our neighbor says was abandoned. It's litter mates had already passed. She believes they were born yesterday. They all had the umbilical cords still attached. We tried to get it to feed on the other momma cat we have, and it wasn't latching. I did get a Miracle Nipple, so we've slowly been giving it a drop at a time using a syringe with that. Problem is the kitten sounds nasally after and I think a few little droplets of milk have been coming out. Is this likely a cleft palate? Honestly I know things don't look good for this kitten, but I feel like I at least need to give it a chance. Any resources would be appreciated.
I see you are on good way.
Cleft palate is nothing fun, but as luck is, the trick to try and save the cleft palates is by hand feeding them...
Because, their main problem is, they can not make vacuum to be able to nurse...
But by being handfeed with syringe, its enough they can swallow... And of course, the damages arent too big...

So, with a little luck and lotsa of work and caretaking, there is a good chance she will survive into adulthood and beyond...
And thus, surgery maybe wont be necessary; and if done; its mainly for esthetical and cosmetical reasons, not because of life saving necessity...

What kmr do you use?
Raw goats milk is often extra good, it comes too from an alive momma. Pasteurized goats milk is OK to use, if you dont have a good kmr.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s possible it’s a cleft palate. It’s not good if milk is coming out of its nose. Cleft palate kittens need tube feeding.

You might want to get the kitten looked at by a vet to confirm and to discuss tube feeding.

Here is a video about a kitten with a cleft palate that Kitten Lady has raised (he’s since had a successful repair surgery):

U Umerwhat

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm using PetAG KMR. I guess I could ask around if anyone has goat's milk. I'm in a pretty rural area, so there's a chance.

We do have Enroflox on hand that the shelter gave us for another kitten. I think it was 10 days old when they told us 0.1ml every 12 hours. Would the dose be the same for a newborn?

I did weigh the kitten, it's 93g. It's feisty and does seem interested in feeding. It's belly is still quite wrinkled though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See my above post #3. I had a bit of trouble getting it to post properly, so wanted to make sure you see it.

I would think the dosage would be fine.

U Umerwhat

Last edited:

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't think anyone tubefeeds in the area. It had been really tough feeding him over night, but all of a sudden this morning he started suckling the Miracle Nipple properly. According to my mom he's downed 2.5ml in a go, a couple times now. We're not getting out hopes too high. We're supposed to get another mother cat later today. We might see if the kitten has better luck nursing on that one. Any tips on getting a nursing mom to accept would be appreciated. I forgot to say it earlier, but thanks for the info so far.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mother cats usually accept a new baby without big fuss. Sometimes even from another specie. Still try to set smells from her kittens into yours. Also; good she knows YOU are her new caretaker and even mom, because he will have some of your scents on him...

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The other momma cat we have rejected the kitten, but she's pretty chill. So she allowed us to try latching the baby over 2 sessions, but the baby wasn't finding/latching on the nipple. I'm worried the kitten is being rejected because it's kind of sickly looking. Though maybe that's how they look in the first day? I didn't see much with the first momma cat as she birthed them in a really cramped space. Didn't get to relocate them to a bigger nesting area until day 3-4. Hopefully the baby will start to look a little healthier soon with some milk in it.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now, we're feeding the kitten every 1-1.25 hours roughly. He's been eating about 1.5-2ml each time. Does that sound about right for 2 days old? He didn't start eating much until this morning. His weight stayed at 93g. According to my mom who's been doing the most recent feedings, he's sucking so hard she's barely pushing the syringe. I didn't think they had that kind of strength at that age, so that probably rules out the cleft palate. Maybe he was just too weak to eat properly the first day?

Unfortunately no luck with getting that other mother cat today. She's outside and semi-feral. I feel awful because we took her 5 week old kittens from her yesterday, but we were worried something would happen to them if we waited. We took in a litter from this neighbor last year and one of the kittens would have been a goner from parasites if she was out any longer. Is 5 weeks old enough for most dewormers? I believe we gave the kittens Strongid last year. These kittens are doing well drinking KMR and a KMR/pate mix off a dish.0

As a note, we've been trying since last summer to get all these cats spayed and neutered, but we couldn't get enough appointments to get them all. It's also getting progressively harder to catch them as the numbers dwindle. I think the remaining ones are catching on to what a trap is.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree, perhaps he was just too weak to eat the first day. It’s great that he’s suckling like crazy now and good amounts and often. Your mom is doing a fantastic job!

You can de-worm the kittens now.

I do hope you can trap and spay mom soon so she does not continue to breed.

I applaud you for your efforts to spay and neuter and get this cat population under control!

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The neighbor had actually been so friendly with the mother cat, she was hoping she could grab her. The cat most have known what was up. She had already been trapped once, but at the time we didn't know where the kittens were. : (

How long should we do this frequent of feedings? Can we do longer intervals and see if he eats more or should we keep to this schedule for another day or two?

Also, is there a chain store that sells 3ml syringes? The shelter only gave us a few of those.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do we need to worry about the kitten pulling more milk than it can handle at once?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most pharmacies will give you needleless syringes for free if you explain you are feeding kittens, or the fee might be nominal.

You can try every 2 hours and see how he does. It’s going to be through the night too for now.

U Umerwhat

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, if he’s pulling on his own he’s hungry and swallowing. Just don’t push if he’s pulling, and when he lets go to breathe, let him, and if he turns his head or pulls away, he’s full. He may not eat the same amount at every feeding.

Is your mom stimulating him to pee and poop before and after each feeding? She needs to.

U Umerwhat

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, we've seen the video. We've been stimulating him to pee and poop, though only pee so far I think.

The problem we've had is he gets really inpatient. If the milk doesn't keep up, he unlatches and goes into a little frenzy. Can't get him to feed until he has calmed down

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He sounds like a kitten who knows what he wants when he’s hungry!

You asked about the kitten pulling more milk than he can handle. Just follow his lead then with feeding if he gets in a frenzy if he doesn’t get his milk fast enough. What a little spitfire!

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Despite his good appetite he hasn't gained much. He was 95g when I weighed him just before feeding. Is this normal at the beginning? He's also pooped a couple times now.