New to having expecting cat. ..I'm lost

amandanc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my son's x-girlfriend took the male kitten & left the female kitten here (SHE found them abandoned in a parking lot at 4-5 weeks old) She never held up her end of the bargain and got her spayed, she got out one day and that was all it took. I'm now waiting on great grand kitties. I've helped birth loss of human babies but never furbabies. I know Daisy got out a little before Christmas, but can't remember the exact day. She was only 8 months old and I had been doing really well not letting her get outside since she was in heat. Then that faithful day she got by me and there was no way I could catch her & no one was home that could. I am disabled and cannot move like I used to, hence my problem catching her.
She is a rather small cat, or she was I guess she was the runt of their litter because her brother is about 3 times her size.
She will let me feel her tummy & sometimes I can feel them moving, it has slowed down some. She has the shape that reminds me of a big ole cow she even walks kinda like one.
What am I looking for as far as changes on her shape & size? I have noticed that her teats seam to be filling up, they feel more rounded under the, nipples.
I'm worried a bit more because she is such a small cat and I refuse to let her go to anyone who it's so irresponsible that they don't keep their promises they make when they take on am animal.
I only planned on having one daushound female that we got for my husband's birthday to have surgery to pay for. Now I have my pup's brother & this cat as well as her kittens. So that is why I tend to get on my soap box about people getting animals as babies not thinking about the fact they grow up & have vet bills just like we have medical bills. UGH!!!
Anyway, enough of that. I just need all the advice I can get right now to be ready for anything that might come up.
Thank you all in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandanc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, has anyone had any issues with a mama cat that was taken from her mama too early when it comes to having & carrying for her own?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should be a fine mama kitty. Cats in general have very good maternal instincts when it comes to raising their babies. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking care of her. While she is pregnant, she should eat as much dry and wet kitten food as she'd like. It's also very important that age stay inside, from now until she can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks. Cats can get pregnant again within a week of delivery and can have silent heats.

She will also need a few nest options in quiet, dark places around your home. I would start setting them up now. Even a cardboard box with flannel is a good option.

Feel free to ask any questions here!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens are born 2 - 3 weeks after you can see and feel them moving.   Here are some articles you may find useful.

[article="31379"]Pregnant Cat What To Prepare For The Birth​[/article]  

[article="29720"]Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats​[/article]  

[article="31496"]How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth​[/article]  

[article="31414"]Help My Cat Is Having Kittens​[/article]  

Welcome to TCS! 

amandanc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are a very kind person looking after momma and her kittens. Thank you 
@sarthur2 thanks i feel better now.

Thanks, I love little Daisy, I've always called her my grand kitty. She is a dainty little thing and really loving. I just couldn't let her go when his X said she wanted to take her away from him. I treat my furbabies like I did my human babies when they were little. One thing about it, I know that all my critters love me back and are grateful for everything I do for them as I am for what they do for me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's very sweet! I'm glad you feel better now. [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

amandanc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still on baby watch here in Harmony. Not much going on except she just doesn't stay in one place long. I have noticed that her nipples are looking like she's been getting them clear for the babies. I still only feel 2 kittens kicking & moving when she's laying on me. Hope she don't surprise us with a while bunch more.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for the update. All sounds well! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

amandanc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah she is, I was expecting her to already have had them so now I'm just playing the waiting game.

amandanc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is extremely vocal & can't stay still. The only time she has ever been this vocal was when she was in heat.
So nervous and excited at the same time.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please tell us more and show us pictures of Daisy so our experts can better advise. For instance, how far along is she, do you have a nest ready, please just share more so that when our experts read your thread, they have a better idea how to help. Congratulations on her impending birth!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, what kind of preparations have you made for her? Nest? Kitten milk replacer?

How old is she? First litter?

It's very important that you don't let her outside or around intact males until she is spayed. She can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. She can get pregnant within a week of delivery, and can also have silent heats.

amandanc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Baby 1 came at 3 baby 2 at 313. Baby 1 placenta still not come out and still attached, I just checked. Do I need to go ahead and tiechord & cut it? Mitt let it be?

Last edited by a moderator:

amandanc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like they are attached to the same place but she won't let me get a picture.