New to caring for a stray/feral and second-guessing myself and need some encouragement and support

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Orville does have nuggets. They looked "full" recently; the other times they've looked flat."Catting around" perhaps before the visit with me?  This morning he swiped a piece of roast chicken from my fingers for the first time.  I'm glad he didn't swipe me because I sometimes react badly to cat scratches (very puffy and red for a day or so). I end up not only having to put antibiotic cream on them but I have been known to take a Benadryl as well  He would not have had shots either so that would be a matter of concern. 
AW - he is a grabber and wants that chicken! He is getting SO brave! It is so cool to hear about your progress with him little by little and day by day. :hugs: The sooner he gets trapped and "done", the better! It will help with him being a bit outwardly naughty. Also would want to get him tested for FeLK and FIV. More so, FeLK as that is so contagious. BUT - I don't think you have to worry about him testing positive because otherwise I would think Henryetta would have too. Usually most of the cats in the neighborhood who socialize and test positive will have it. So chances are low that Orville does but still, I worry. ;) I also think about the other stray cats he may be breeding out there. :nervous: Not to put pressure on you, hun!!! You know me - I am all for the "must TNR them all" mindset and fast. You could try the carrier or even a trap at this point. :dk: It will be better for you and for Orville if he gets neutered soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know. I do need to trap him but worry about his reaction. He's also very smart so avoiding people and traps would come naturally.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know. I do need to trap him but worry about his reaction. He's also very smart so avoiding people and traps would come naturally.
Exactly why I usually only feed inside of a trap or a crate when I need to get a cat TNRd. They eventually get used to it, seeing it out, and hunger will take over and they go in and out to eat. It makes it easy for my on trap day to just unset the trap door. It does get easier, emotionally speaking, over time when you do more cats like I have. You just look past the worry of their reaction and stick to the end goal. Most - 99%!! TNRd cats do come back after they are released as well. Some disappear for a few days and some stick around immediately. The fact that you are building a great relationship ahead of time will only solidify his trust in you. AND - since you will be the one bringing him home from the vet - rescuing him from that nasty place ;), then you will build an even more trustworthy impact on Orville.

Well - enough of that from me.... :lol3: I think you know when the time will be right for you and for Orville. You are making such great progress with him and eventually a plan will fall into place for you on what to do. :nod:

I am heading off to visit my parent's up North this week so will check back in here when I return and hopefully you will be reporting that you are giving him scritches underneath his chin. ;) :D :cross: :bigthumb: :vibes: :wavey:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Will you LOOK AT THAT????!!!!!!! :lol3: :woohoo: :wow: That is REALLY incredible. BOTH Chaucer and Henryetta are just resting right near that screen. All three seem quite relaxed with each other. Certainly, once Orville is neutered, then you will see an even more gentle way about him emerge. He wants INSIDE. :lol3: What progress and what a great testament of how going super slow really works with the feral cats that have decided they want a different kind of life. It is VERY possible that once you catch him and get him inside :cross: :lol:, you may find that he comes around quite easily and may have had human contact at one time or another in the past. Who really knows though, right?! And BOY - Orville is SOOOOO handsome.

Last edited:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Will you LOOK AT THAT????!!!!!!!
That is REALLY incredible. BOTH Chaucer and Henryetta are just resting right near that screen. All three seem quite relaxed with each other. Certainly, once Orville is neutered, then you will see an even more gentle way about him emerge. He wants INSIDE.
What progress and what a great testament of how going super slow really works with the feral cats that have decided they want a different kind of life. It is VERY possible that once you catch him and get him inside
, you may find that he comes around quite easily and may have had human contact at one time or another in the past. Who really knows though, right?! And BOY - Orville is SOOOOO handsome.
Thank you. I was surprised when he suddenly started hanging out on the steps.  I was sitting on the lower one one morning and he crept up the side and went behind my back to the screen to see Henryetta  He did this for a couple of days and then he sort did that friendly arching of his back like he wanted to be petted so I stroked his lower back. He was shocked, looked at me and hurried down the stairs. He trusts me, will play with his yellow rattling ball and will chase it if I throw it and will wait for me to get it and throw it back (he's not to the fetch part yet), but he doesn't want to be touched. It scares him.  He and Chaucer play through the screen. Henryetta will touch noses with him now. He seems very comfortable with them, often just lying on his back on the step looking at them.

If my neighbor's cats didn't come with him some mornings, and I never know when they will, I'd put out the trap but I would only get one chance with him. 

Chaucer has a harness and leash now. He seems to like going for walks. I thought it a good idea that he knew for sure where he lived because the other day I couldn't find him and thought he'd gotten out. I found him in a closet 5 hours later.

On a different note, I've been invited to join the board of our local animal shelter. I attended a meeting last night to see about it. The shelter is low-kill (serious illness and extreme aggression only). I'm not sure I will become a board member,  but I don't mind helping out with things like fundraising events.  I cannot do any required volunteer to work IN the shelter, however. Allergies and in that amount of animals...not a good idea, but more than that, I can't work around the cats and kittens because I would get attached. I am also afraid of dogs to some extent so I would only work with cats.  The shelter does participate in transport to several shelters in the country. Unfortunately, I had to listen to how 29 cats had to be euthanized  last month due to very serious FIP which spread through the cats. So sad. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On a different note, I've been invited to join the board of our local animal shelter. I attended a meeting last night to see about it. The shelter is low-kill (serious illness and extreme aggression only). I'm not sure I will become a board member,  but I don't mind helping out with things like fundraising events.  I cannot do any required volunteer to work IN the shelter, however. Allergies and in that amount of animals...not a good idea, but more than that, I can't work around the cats and kittens because I would get attached. I am also afraid of dogs to some extent so I would only work with cats.  The shelter does participate in transport to several shelters in the country. Unfortunately, I had to listen to how 29 cats had to be euthanized  last month due to very serious FIP which spread through the cats. So sad. 
SO kind hearted of you and such a need for people like you volunteering some time - any time at all - to local shelters. It is getting harder and harder for me to volunteer time with the homeless cats at the shelter. My heart almost can't take it anymore. I leave half the time crying. Not good. I do not agree with No - Kill shelter's actually - I prefer the Low Kill as you mention. Sometimes I see dogs/cats suffering so much and going through so much to save them that it just seems cruel to me in the long run when most of the times their quality is zero from health and shelter environment. Very sad to me. I do work more with a feral cat org. than I do the shelter's. I am more emotionally strong to handle that, for some reason.

GOOD LUCK with your decision!! :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is very possible that Henryetta and Orville are litter mates??? They do look very similar in bone structure, shape of face and nose. Might that be why Orville is so attached initially and why Henryetta is so accepting? They already know each other.
I don't know. He has some gray/white and then some of th brownish/white tabby, but they both have green eyes and the same tabby color on the face and they have the same black mark on the back of a leg in the same place. I wondered if he was one of her kittens at some point, but then again, her kittens she had at my house were all shades of orange/white tabbies. 

Now I know this may be a risk, but I am considering shutting Chaucer and Henryetta in a bedroom, leaving the screen door open to the carport and seeing if Orville will come inside. I know he will be scared and won't stay, but it is just to see if he might like it in here. I'm not worried about him giving my two anything other than fleas, but when the weather gets cooler that should end. Chaucer and Henryetta are current on their FeLV shots so the other thing would be FIV but I don't think Orville is the type to fight with either cat to the point he would puncture them with his teeth. He seems pretty laid-back with them and not an aggressive cat. Chaucer, on the other hand, is very aggressive about playing - in a good way as he initiates it and isn't afraid to play- but it could be misinterpreted as it was with Henryetta. Henryetta is more retiring in terms of confrontation. I think Orville is that way, too. 

If my neighbor's cats did't show up every morning, often with Orville, I'd get up early and put the trap out there.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is very possible that Henryetta and Orville are litter mates??? They do look very similar in bone structure, shape of face and nose. Might that be why Orville is so attached initially and why Henryetta is so accepting? They already know each other. :dk:
I don't know. He has some gray/white and then some of th brownish/white tabby, but they both have green eyes and the same tabby color on the face and they have the same black mark on the back of a leg in the same place. I wondered if he was one of her kittens at some point, but then again, her kittens she had at my house were all shades of orange/white tabbies. 

Now I know this may be a risk, but I am considering shutting Chaucer and Henryetta in a bedroom, leaving the screen door open to the carport and seeing if Orville will come inside. I know he will be scared and won't stay, but it is just to see if he might like it in here. I'm not worried about him giving my two anything other than fleas, but when the weather gets cooler that should end. Chaucer and Henryetta are current on their FeLV shots so the other thing would be FIV but I don't think Orville is the type to fight with either cat to the point he would puncture them with his teeth. He seems pretty laid-back with them and not an aggressive cat. Chaucer, on the other hand, is very aggressive about playing - in a good way as he initiates it and isn't afraid to play- but it could be misinterpreted as it was with Henryetta. Henryetta is more retiring in terms of confrontation. I think Orville is that way, too. 

If my neighbor's cats did't show up every morning, often with Orville, I'd get up early and put the trap out there.
Sometimes kittens of a litter can look completely opposite like they don't even belong. I have heard it is because stray female cats can be bred by more than one male thus causing quite a mix of mismatched kittens. It is possible that Orville IS related to Henryetta somehow and that they do know each other. :nod:

I think that would be fine to try to see if Orville wants in and I bet he will venture in a few feet at first and then run out. Just be very careful about him spraying IF he decides to run in and make himself at home. ;) I still think, if it were me, I would opt for the crate method of catching him by feeding him inside of that carrier. Only because I have had such luck with this method in the past with feral cats that I have taken my time befriending outside just as you have done with Orville. I still would air on the side of caution letting them interact together before you get him trapped, tested and neutered. I agree that he probably would not full out attack and bite either Chaucer or Henryetta. It is always best to have them neutered before any introductions because those hormones could take over and give him more power than you may realize. He does sound really, REALLY sweet natured though. :heart3: :rub:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He did come in. I was coming back through the house from putting Chaucer in the bedroom and saw Orville in my living room. We are talking about 30 feet in from the sliding door and he was headed farther in to the house. He started walking quickly back to the sliding door and went out. I might try this for a few days and see if he is okay with it. The crate is a good idea. I could put out the one with the carrier with the wire sides so that the vet could give him a calming injection when I get him there. I would prefer he have his shots and a check before he meets the other two without the screen between them. He may end up being an indoor/outdoor cat, which would be okay I suppose. Henryetta doesn't want to leave the house now that she is inside. She's fat and happy. 

He has for quite a while been rolling in front of me and working his feet in the air when I talk to him.  If only he would trust me just a little more. He wants to, I can tell, but he still keeps his distance and is jumpy. Henryetta was pretty easy, but I know she had contact with the people across the street, plus she was friendly in heat in general and then while pregnant was very friendly.

Henryetta was no ****!
  All her kittens were clearly from the buff/pale orange male  with whom I saw her mating. None of the kittens had her green eyes. They all have the amber eyes of their father. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's GREAT about Orville taking such an interest in coming in the house and seemingly so laid back about it !!!! :cross: for the crate to work and you can soon get him to the vet!! :hugs: :cross: :vibes:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He ran out of the room to the sliding door each time to go out.  I wonder if at some point he had human contact. If so, it's been a long time because he is very scared of people. If anyone is even near the house, Orville runs away and out of the yard. The second time he was in, I didn't know it and shut a door in the house. I was coming down the hall and saw him dart out of the kitchen where he was sniffing the cat food. He doesn't seem to spray even outside. He has nuggets but I wonder if they are in working order. He does not seem like a regular Tom, although he does have scars so who knows. 

He's coming round with me, but I don't know if he will stay in the house. I've kind of thought about boarding Chaucer and Henryetta for a couple of days and letting Orville spend some time in the house should he choose to, but I have to leave the door where he can escape if need be.  I'd rather not board my two but my kitchen and bathroom doors are pocket doors that Chaucer can open easily, otherwise I'd let Orville in and he could stay in a bathroom.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's GREAT about Orville taking such an interest in coming in the house and seemingly so laid back about it !!!!
for the crate to work and you can soon get him to the vet!!
This morning wasn't as good. He walked into my den, which leads directly from the sliding patio door, and stood looking up at the television. I think it scared him because he didn't come any further and ran out. I know he is not someone's pet who just wanders the neighborhood. I cannot imagine someone letting their pet cat go around with a foot that was either sprained or broken.  This morning, I got up early - a little after 5:00 AM- and I spied a white foot under a tree in my back yard. He came running as soon as he saw me.  And he loves to play with his toys outside and roll around in the dirt.. His den is under the Forsythia bush. 

Yes, he does want to be a house kitty, but we are still working on the getting him to trust me enough to go in a crate. I think I will just put the carrier outside, like you suggested and then at some point, open the door to it (with food in the back) to see if he will go in and eat.  

Henryetta was afraid of the television and flushing toilets when she moved in so it was clear she had never been a housecat. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, he does want to be a house kitty, but we are still working on the getting him to trust me enough to go in a crate. I think I will just put the carrier outside, like you suggested and then at some point, open the door to it (with food in the back) to see if he will go in and eat.  

Henryetta was afraid of the television and flushing toilets when she moved in so it was clear she had never been a housecat. 
Certainly the regular household noises will be a bit startling at first for any kitty that is not used to living indoors just like Henryetta. :nod: I feel for sure now that Orville has had some human interaction from everything you are describing. I can say for sure that if my Perkins every got out and lost, he would act totally feral until caught and learned to trust another person. He is just that way - and very suspicious of strangers. Orville may have had someone at one point but not a indoor kitty. :nod:

GOOD LUCK with the carrier and I think that is a good plan and one you already know, I use!!! :D Eventually, he will go inside to eat. The first day he may not BUT hold strong and don't give in. The next day he will be VERY hungry and go inside to eat with you sitting nearby. It takes iron nerves on our part to get through the initial stage of pushing the issue so the cat knows; crate means food.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Certainly the regular household noises will be a bit startling at first for any kitty that is not used to living indoors just like Henryetta.
I feel for sure now that Orville has had some human interaction from everything you are describing. I can say for sure that if my Perkins every got out and lost, he would act totally feral until caught and learned to trust another person. He is just that way - and very suspicious of strangers. Orville may have had someone at one point but not a indoor kitty.

GOOD LUCK with the carrier and I think that is a good plan and one you already know, I use!!!
Eventually, he will go inside to eat. The first day he may not BUT hold strong and don't give in. The next day he will be VERY hungry and go inside to eat with you sitting nearby. It takes iron nerves on our part to get through the initial stage of pushing the issue so the cat knows; crate means food.
Well, Orville was crying at the door so I decided to try something, but  it turns out that Miss Henryetta is the less welcoming of the pair.  I tried something and left the door open, holding Chaucer, but Henryetta was not in the area. In the door comes Orville. Chaucer didn't do much but squirm a little. (He's so social and a little aggressive about it, too, sometimes.) Into the living room trots Orville. In a few seconds back to the screen ran Orville. I was standing there with the door shut and saw him coming and opened it, and out he ran. I'd heard Henryetta growling and hissing. Chaucer ran in to see her after Orville was outside and boy did Chaucer's tail fluff up. Henryetta growled and hissed at Chaucer. I picked him up and things are settled down. I think Henryetta will come around. She did this with Chaucer in the beginning. 

Henryetta was at the door earlier with Orville and they were headbutting and rubbing against the other one. Who knows what goes through a cat's mind!  Chaucer and Orville play-swatted through the small crack I'd left in the screen door, not big enough to get in or out. That's why I thought I try what I did since Orville was whining outside.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's why I thought I try what I did since Orville was whining outside.
Aw Orville - soon will be wanting in all the time?!!! He wants to be part of the family. :heart2: I understand wanting to do this though I would tread very carefully with these introductions. I might suggest keeping Chaucer and Henryetta closed up when you let Orville inside? Or do you think that will upset them more? It would be quite a setback if Chaucer and Henryetta go at it due to transferred aggression which comes extremely naturally and quickly for cats. Truth be told on my part, :anon:, I would continue to work with Orville as you are, not allowing close interactions with the other two, until such time as Orville is checked up and neutered by the vet. I won't interject my opinion again though as I do not want to upset you and DO understand what you are trying to accomplish here! I totally get that. :nod: I do think that no matter how you introduce them there will be these little tiffs with the cats until they accept Orville and allow him to be part of their indoor territory. It just should be done very, very carefully as you already know. Cats are very easily set off and you are right, we never know what goes on in their minds. :)

I think all of this is a huge giant step in the right direction though - the more Chaucer and Henryetta smell Orville's presence by his walking around the house, the better for when they actually live together long term. :bigthumb:

Last edited:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw Orville - soon will be wanting in all the time?!!! He wants to be part of the family.
I understand wanting to do this though I would tread very carefully with these introductions. I might suggest keeping Chaucer and Henryetta closed up when you let Orville inside? Or do you think that will upset them more? It would be quite a setback if Chaucer and Henryetta go at it due to transferred aggression which comes extremely naturally and quickly for cats. Truth be told on my part,
, I would continue to work with Orville as you are, not allowing close interactions with the other two, until such time as Orville is checked up and neutered by the vet. I won't interject my opinion again though as I do not want to upset you and DO understand what you are trying to accomplish here! I totally get that.
I do think that no matter how you introduce them there will be these little tiffs with the cats until they accept Orville and allow him to be part of their indoor territory. It just should be done very, very carefully as you already know. Cats are very easily set off and you are right, we never know what goes on in their minds.

I think all of this is a huge giant step in the right direction though - the more Chaucer and Henryetta smell Orville's presence by his walking around the house, the better for when they actually live together long term.
You don't upset me at all!  I am glad for the suggestions, help and advice.  Orville seems to recognize Henryetta even though she's been inside nearly a year-and-a-half now. He trots up the back steps to her and rubs his face against the screen when she is right next to it and then rolls around on the top step in front of her. They greet with nose touches (he does these last two things with Chaucer, too). I don't think I will have much of a problem in terms of actual fighting between them, but yes, I don't want him to really interact unless he's been checked.