New to all of this. Opinions please ?

Mmeek123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A stray showed up at our house we were not prepared to keep another animal since we are renting. We finally got approval to keep the cat and a week later started noticing signs that she is pregnant. She is a faily small cat. I don't know when she got pregnant and I'm trying to figure it all out. She pinked up several weeks ago. Then about two weeks ago now she had a noticeably larger stomach but still hasn't gotten huge. Her stomach has now seemed to get a little smaller or maybe the kittens have moved ? I'm a little nervous something maybe wrong ? I've felt the kitten or kittens move starting a week ago but now it seems they may be in a different position ? Please help me figure this out I wanna make sure she is ok. She's been sleeping alot the past two days. And no discharge it looks like she's starting to get some swelling around her nipples but not leaking milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mmeek123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read thru every thing I can find. I'm still not sure why her stomach would feel smaller. There's no way for her to have an xray due to the virus going around vets around me are only doing pickup meds. Please help

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is that she's close enough that the babies have moved down a bit...?

Mmeek123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope that's it and nothing is wrong. I've never dealt with a pregnant cat. My only timeline as far as I know was at least around march 3rd but my husband thinks it was before then that she got pregnant. She's acting normally except sleeping alot more and a little less interested in food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nothing wrong! This is normal. As the babies grow they get big and squished for space. Once they move down near the birth canal in preparation for birth - called dropping - mom appears smaller and you often see less movement. She will have them soon. Do you have a nest ready for her in a private place?

Mmeek123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing wrong! This is normal. As the babies grow they get big and squished for space. Once they move down near the birth canal in preparation for birth - called dropping - mom appears smaller and you often see less movement. She will have them soon. Do you have a nest ready for her in a private place?
I'm preparing my double closet for her now. Quietest least trafficked area in the house. Thank you!

Mmeek123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so I talked to the vet she said it sounds like shell be having them some time this week. She also has noticeably more milk coming in and has little white crusty spots on her nipples.

Mmeek123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I have moved her into my double closet area. If I leave the area she meows. And when I'm in here she is very aggressive with wanting attention like I've never seen before in the weeks since she showed up here. She's finally let me stop giving her attention and is just grooming over and over and over. But she still doesnt seem like she wants me to go any where. I dont know if this means soon like in the next couple hours or days lol.

Mmeek123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE. I took her to the vet today and the vet said she been having practice contractions and that she is about 53 or 54 days pregnant so further than I originally thought. She said it could be this weekend or early start of next week!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She really needs to be at least 62 days along for the babies to be born and survive. Did the vet do an x-ray to determine gestational age?

Mmeek123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet did an xray but I had to wait in the car due to the virus. The vets office said cat pregnancies are between 56 and 65 days long. But she said 53 and 54 maybe even a couple days further along but for sure 53 or 54. She said if she doesnt have them before I can bring her in again on tuesday that they would do another xray because they are in the process of changing to a newer better working xray machine. I'm not sure about every thing just going off what I was told lol.

Mmeek123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was saying they have been having problems with their old xray machine that nothings coming out clear enough like it used to but based off of what she could see she's saying that's how far along she is.