New some advice on new cat

mellie3c3c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm wanting some advice on our situation. Last Friday we adopted a second cat, an 18 month old male called Shadow. We already had a 3 year old female called Lilly whom we adopted about 2 months ago.

After bringing Shadow home on Friday I kept him in either the study or our bedroom. Lilly hissed once or twice through the door but that stopped very fast. I was getting ready to do some scent swapping on Saturday when I was called away to an emergency. I was gone until this morning (Tuesday). I had left my husband and 2 kids with strict instructions on scent swapping. However, I got back this morning and he's abandoned the plan! Both cats are out and about in house! My first feeling was to put Shadow back in either the study or our room and continue where I left off. My husband however, is against this. 

The cats are for the most part getting along. Lilly will occasionally hiss at Shadow with hair on her back standing up but then calms down or he leaves the spot he was in. This only happens when he enters her space, not when she enters his. They even spent an hour or so sleeping in the same room. Lilly on the bed with Shadow under the bed. I sat on the bed and was patting Lilly and Shadow jumped up there with us. She hissed, and growled but didn't even sit up. Apparently over the weekend there has only been one or two incidence of Lilly swatting at Shadow. No actual contact has been made between them, except for Lilly sniffing Shadows tail last night and Shadow sniffing Lilly's bottom this morning.

I don't want them to fight and attack each other hence why I want to continue with scent training, however, seeing them not really care too much about the other makes me wonder if I really need to. There is plenty of places for both of them in all rooms of the house and its peaceful for the most part. Should I just leave them and try a wait and see approach?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are like that too - I didn't do the whole separating thing properly since they were living together at the shelter peacefully. Snow hisses at Tiger if he comes too close, but otherwise they don't fight or swat or anything else. So far I have left them alone and nothing has happened.

Definitely supervise them always, but if they show no aggressiveness beyond hissing, I wouldn't panic over separating them. One thing I have found that worked for me was to find a toy that both like. In my case, it's a snake-like string on a pole. When I dangle it in front of them, they take turns playing with it and seem to have a truce during playtime. I would expect that over time they'll learn to at least tolerate each other.

pussacata

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just brought a new cat into the house also a three year old female named tish. I already had two cats Bella a year old Chloe 6 months old there all females. I did scent swapping for a week so I decided for an introduction Bella tried to approach tish peacefully and tish hisses and growls and Chloe hisses at tish. im at a loss and need help how can I get tish to be nice? I just at least want them all to be able to live with one another without fights breaking out, cause this is all three of there's forever home period. please help me!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mellie3c3c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My cats are like that too - I didn't do the whole separating thing properly since they were living together at the shelter peacefully. Snow hisses at Tiger if he comes too close, but otherwise they don't fight or swat or anything else. So far I have left them alone and nothing has happened.

Definitely supervise them always, but if they show no aggressiveness beyond hissing, I wouldn't panic over separating them. One thing I have found that worked for me was to find a toy that both like. In my case, it's a snake-like string on a pole. When I dangle it in front of them, they take turns playing with it and seem to have a truce during playtime. I would expect that over time they'll learn to at least tolerate each other.
Lilly isn't interested in toys. At all. No matter what it is and we've tried loads. She's more of a fed me, pet me a little and leave me alone I'll come to you if I want company kind of cat. 

I was just sitting on the couch with my feet on a cushion on the floor. Lilly came in and lay down on the cushion like she often does, and went to sleep. About 20 min later Shadow wandered into the room and came right up to her. He got his nose about 5mm from hers before she hissed. He just looked at her and didn't move so she hissed again and went to swat him. She didn't get him, nor did she even sit up. He backed off and left the room. From what I could see her claws weren't even out. I honestly don't blame her in that situation. She was sleeping and he invaded her space.

I think I'll leave them as is. Let them roam free around the house while there is someone home and separate of a night and when they are home alone. If they start to fight then I can look at re-introduction but hopefully it won't come to that.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just brought a new cat into the house also a three year old female named tish. I already had two cats Bella a year old Chloe 6 months old there all females. I did scent swapping for a week so I decided for an introduction Bella tried to approach tish peacefully and tish hisses and growls and Chloe hisses at tish. im at a loss and need help how can I get tish to be nice? I just at least want them all to be able to live with one another without fights breaking out, cause this is all three of there's forever home period. please help me!!!!!
It would be better if you started your own thread about this, so your individual questions and issues can be answered better.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just sitting on the couch with my feet on a cushion on the floor. Lilly came in and lay down on the cushion like she often does, and went to sleep. About 20 min later Shadow wandered into the room and came right up to her. He got his nose about 5mm from hers before she hissed. He just looked at her and didn't move so she hissed again and went to swat him. She didn't get him, nor did she even sit up. He backed off and left the room. From what I could see her claws weren't even out. I honestly don't blame her in that situation. She was sleeping and he invaded her space.

I think I'll leave them as is. Let them roam free around the house while there is someone home and separate of a night and when they are home alone. If they start to fight then I can look at re-introduction but hopefully it won't come to that.
Hissing and gentle swats are a quite normal form of cat communication, and it sounds like Lilly and Shadow are doing quite well in adjusting to each other. Shadow is taking the hint from Lilly and is respecting her.
Some cats just don't require long introductions, while others can take months. It seems these 2 are just fine at this stage. I agree at this time to just let them be.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think that's the right course of action. Leave them separated when no one is around, and just be nearby when they are. It seems Lilly and Shadow are trying to decide who is boss, with Lilly being the resident cat, she's bound to give the "back off" warning first. Since your house has lots of spaces for them, both should be able to retreat to wherever they need to.

This is of course assumption on my part, but don't try to interrupt or even say anything when she hisses at him. You're giving both of them equal attention, and should continue to do so. Don't give them a chance to think you're siding one over the other. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mellie3c3c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. It all seems to  be going well. Only one hiss from Lilly so far today (its 9am) but that before my husband and I were even up. It was just the kids and cats and so we don't know why. They don't fully understand why they can't plonk the cats together. They were even sprung last night on the bed together sleeping peacefully. Lilly is a skittish shy little girl and so she has amazed me with how fast she has adjusted. I'm rather proud of her. Her main issues seem to be when he gets close to her face. She hates anyone near her face, but he'll learn over time and hopefully without blood shed and fur flying.