New Rescue Kitten Help

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me guess how old this lil guy is? I syringe fed him some wet food mixed with water. I want to know how often to feed him. 20180415_231815.jpg 20180415_231855.jpg 20180415_232038.jpg 20180415_232045.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the kitten has all those teeth, he or she should be able to eat on its own. Offer a teaspoon of wet food every 2 hours for now. If he cleans it up quickly give another teaspoon right away. You will soon learn how much and how often to give it.

Most tiny kittens need wet food 6 times a day, plus dry kitten chow available 24/7, along with a dish of water and a small litter pan with non-clumping litter until you are certain they won’t ingest any litter.

What a cutie! Where did you get him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the kitten has all those teeth, he or she should be able to eat on its own. Offer a teaspoon of wet food every 2 hours for now. If he cleans it up quickly give another teaspoon right away. You will soon learn how much and how often to give it.

Most tiny kittens need wet food 6 times a day, plus dry kitten chow available 24/7, along with a dish of water and a small litter pan with non-clumping litter until you are certain they won’t ingest any litter.

What a cutie! Where did you get him?
One of my neighbors found him! I'll try making him eat his own food. I had been syringe feeding him. Thank you!

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With that many teeth, the kitten may be older than he appears. Possibly 6 weeks.
Hmm well he doesnt want to eat dry food on his own I'll tell you that much. I'm gonna feed him again at 12. I'll update if he eats the wet food by himself or not.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He will learn to eat the dry food in due time. If he does not eat the wet food on his own, go ahead and use the syringe for now since he needs food.

Is he using the litter box on his own?

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He will learn to eat the dry food in due time. If he does not eat the wet food on his own, go ahead and use the syringe for now since he needs food.

Is he using the litter box on his own?
No not yet. I had to stimulate him to go this morning. He peed on the potty pad (extra protection in his little area just in case he did that haha) even though I tried placing him into the litter box multiple times. Oh well, he'll get there. I just have to keep trying and he'll catch on!

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20180416_113057.jpg Guys! He can eat wet food on his own! I am so proud right now. Now he just needs to learn how to use the litter box and my job will be so much easier <3

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, go ahead and let him eat from the syringe, just as an emotional bonding experience. Early weaning is linked to future behavioral problems ~ I can see a difference even in my bottle babies who are now adults. At some points, I have had 20+ babies, almost always sick because ferals aren't vaccinated, and have been forced to wean them as early as possible. And then I have had the ocassional off-season baby that gets all the attention including bottle-feeding as long as they want - they are friendlier and more confident.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can, go ahead and let him eat from the syringe, just as an emotional bonding experience. Early weaning is linked to future behavioral problems ~ I can see a difference even in my bottle babies who are now adults. At some points, I have had 20+ babies, almost always sick because ferals aren't vaccinated, and have been forced to wean them as early as possible. And then I have had the ocassional off-season baby that gets all the attention including bottle-feeding as long as they want - they are friendlier and more confident.
Totally possible as long as I only have him. When we catch his siblings it'll be harder. Although, is this still the case even if I have other cats who are super friendly and good mentors? I feel like spending time with him cuddling and petting would be more important for socialization and bonding than bottle/syringe feeding.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: neighbor caught their mom! Or who we assume is their mom. Shes gonna be TNR because we dont think she'd make it in a shelter. The kitties I'll foster till they can eat hard food, go in the litter box, and I get their 1st shots and 2 dewormings. I'm super tempted to keep 2 though haha. Resized_20180416_195538_649.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great you have them all now! :)

Does the mom still have mllk? See if she is interested in being inside with her kittens for awhile.