New Natural Balance Recall (not Menu related)

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by heidinyny

this is an interesting article from the herald tribune which implies that melamine might have been added intentionally to raise the protein content.
"Now, regulators with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are examining the possibility that melamine was intentionally mixed into the wheat gluten in China as a way to bolster the apparent protein content and to meet pet food requirements, according to a person briefed on the investigation."
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/11/asia/gluten.php
I'm actually not surprise if they actually did this to boost protein. They add bleach in their bread buns to make it look whiter and fluffier. I heard this from the locals there. People wonder why there are so many epidemics there, hmmm....I wonder.....

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This explains why I ordered a bag of Venison and Peas 2 weeks ago still hasn't arrived at my local pet store. Good thing it never came! I don't even want it anymore! It just shows it's not necessarily from menu that is affected by this recall. They probably all get ingredients from the same source.

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
According to howl911, natural balance just changed their website yesterday to reflect the rice protein concentrate in the food. And some of you mention it too, on natural balance website, althoguh they update the ingredient list to include RPC, they forget to take away the statement that "• No Artificial Preservatives, Flavors, Colors, or Bleached Ingredients. Does not contain Corn, Soy, Wheat, Rice, Eggs, Dairy Products or Sunflower Oil.".
To me it seems very fishy, it's like RPC has always been in there, just that they didn't put in on the label....hm....

according to Ichmo, that comapny sold the RPC to 4 other companies, so watch out for other food that contains RPC.

From Howl911

"NATURAL BALANCE PULLS AN INGREDIENT SWITCHEROO? 04/17/07
As word has spread today about the Natural Balance recall of foods containing rice protein concentrate, a few pet parents astutely observed that Natural Balance has changed their website's list of ingredients for the affected foods. Just a few short days ago, the suspect ingredient was not included among the ingredients listed on the Natural Balance website but, today, after the FDA announcement that melamine was found in the rice protein concentrate, the website was changed to add this ingredient. I believe there is an AAFCO (or is it FDA?) requirement to list ALL the ingredients contained in a pet food on the packaging label. Now, it could be Natural Balance is just woefully behind in updating their website to reflect recent formula changes (note: there are other changes in the ingredients besides the addition of rice protein concentrate.) Conversely, it could be Natural Balance is trying to do a quick CYA. Perhaps some pet parents who purchased the recalled food can take a look at the packaging labels and let us know whether or not the suspect ingredient, rice protein concentrate, appears among the list of ingredients. If not, then this is clearly a violation by Natural Balance of both labeling laws and consumer trust.
"

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YES the ingrediant s have to be on the BAG but THE FOOD companies HAVE SIX MONTHS to get the PACKAGEING To reflect that change... and NO NOTICE to customers has to be given...

Howl911 get some good info but it is NOT a GOVT agency

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

:censor::censor::censor:!!!! protein requirement??? Via some sort of PLASTIC ingrediant?? How is that a PROTEIN and since when did MELAMINE become an option to fulfill this???
According to the Chem Nura site Melamine makes a product (wheat gluten) appear to contain more protein than it actually does. It seems to be all about money with no consideration for the health of the pets/people eating the product.

Originally Posted by sharky

YES the ingrediant s have to be on the BAG but THE FOOD companies HAVE SIX MONTHS to get the PACKAGEING To reflect that change... and NO NOTICE to customers has to be given...
Wonderful, and what about those of us who rely on the product label to select a food that fits the special health needs of our cats? I don't trust any of them anymore. Another case of government "protecting" the public- but then the facts surrounding the Menu Foods recall shows there is not a lot of thought given to protecting pets.

And my open bag of dry Venison and Pea (old formula per the label) is going back to Pets Discount tomorrow. With the credit I can buy a few cans of something decent- Wellness?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

According to the Chem Nura site Melamine makes a product (wheat gluten) appear to contain more protein than it actually does. It seems to be all about money with no consideration for the health of the pets/people eating the product.

Wonderful, and what about those of us who rely on the product label to select a food that fits the special health needs of our cats? I don't trust any of them anymore. Another case of government "protecting" the public- but then the facts surrounding the Menu Foods recall shows there is not a lot of thought given to protecting pets.

And my open bag of dry Venison and Pea (old formula per the label) is going back to Pets Discount tomorrow. With the credit I can buy a few cans of something decent- Wellness?
By nature if they have it ..the small avoderm select cuts chn chunks is just chn, broth and vitamins and minerals .. Kandie did enjoy the Wellness so i will revisit garlic with my vet..California natural makes a salmon and sweet potato ... Finding out SOlid gold is part of DIamond is really worring me

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

By nature if they have it ..the small avoderm select cuts chn chunks is just chn, broth and vitamins and minerals .. Kandie did enjoy the Wellness so i will revisit garlic with my vet..California natural makes a salmon and sweet potato ... Finding out SOlid gold is part of DIamond is really worring me
The old story of limited selection in Hawaii.
According to the By Nature web site no store here carries it. The only Avoderm available is the chicken or beef pate style, which contains too much fish for my crystals boys. The cats like the chicken, though. The only Calif. Natural I've found is for dogs. Fish is too high on the ingredients list in Solid Gold.

I've been relying on the canned Venison and Pea for Kolohe and Eric because there is minimal fish and no grains. I need something else like that. Thankfully they haven't become bored with it. I also try to limit the fish that Tiggy and Fluffy get so that they won't develop crystals too.

If you get an answer from your vet about garlic let us know. Thanks.

These food issues are making me nuts.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

The old story of limited selection in Hawaii.
According to the By Nature web site no store here carries it. The only Avoderm available is the chicken or beef pate style, which contains too much fish for my crystals boys. The cats like the chicken, though. The only Calif. Natural I've found is for dogs. Fish is too high on the ingredients list in Solid Gold.

I've been relying on the canned Venison and Pea for Kolohe and Eric because there is minimal fish and no grains. I need something else like that. Thankfully they haven't become bored with it. I also try to limit the fish that Tiggy and Fluffy get so that they won't develop crystals too.

If you get an answer from your vet about garlic let us know. Thanks.

These food issues are making me nuts.
Most Cal natural cat and dog cans are identical...

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[/url], that comapny sold the RPC to 4 other companies, so watch out for other food that contains RPC.

From Howl911

THAT is exactly what concerns me
I am making sure none of my foods have the RPC, i would go grain free but i have tried a couple types w/the cats and it failed plus TBH w/more than a 1/2 dozen pets to feed i couldn't afford too.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those worrying about replacing venison and green pea NB, be aware that your vet may be able to help you. I got a bag of IVD Royal Canin green pea and rabbit for my cats, they also make green pea and venison, duck, and lamb. The ingredient list looks pretty good to me, better than the D/D Hill's foods, but that's another option - their allergy foods come in green pea and duck, rabbit, and venison.

And another grain-free that i don't think has been mentioned is Orijen.

I have the same issues where i am trying to avoid fish (i suspect it may be an allergy trigger for Rajah) and i unfortunately haven't really found any OTC grain-free options that don't use fish. I haven't been able to get her through the food trial without having to switch brands.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

[/url], that comapny sold the RPC to 4 other companies, so watch out for other food that contains RPC.
Does anyone know the names of those other companies?

We need to know who they are.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I just say I'm sick to my stomache right now. So what now, what do I feed them? I'm freaking out!!!

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am trying so hard not to panic and I don't want to cause more paranoria. But, I feed both my cats canned Natural Balance. They are also fed Nutro Natural Choice dry. Kabou eat only a small amount of the dry Nutro. Starting yesterday, Kabou my female, had a "looser" than normal and stinkier stool. This morning it was runnier and still stinky. Not diarrhea, but loose. She eats the NB chicken & liver and turkey canned. My male eats the Tuna blend NB and has no symptoms.

I know runny poops are not listed as a symptom of the contamination, but I am worried! Has anyone else who regularly feeds NB noticed any changes in their cat's stools?

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Can I just say I'm sick to my stomache right now. So what now, what do I feed them? I'm freaking out!!!
Rang, I know. I think I am ulcerating. Thank god for watching an hour of "House" last night. It got me smiling and even laughing. THen I was back to fretting. I still have one cat who is NOT right since trying the NB Ultra dry. But I no longer think it's food related. Everyone has been on the same foods and he is the only one being weird. I think he might have picked up an infection from GOING to the vets' a week ago. They did a cisto and that *can* be the culprit. Plus he gets so stressed; he is probably just run down. I am weighing taking him in but it's a tough call when you have a cat this stress-filled

Try, try, try not to freak. It won't help and your cats will sense it. If you cant' steer completely clear of grain free (I know that is challenging and our cats all have individual needs and specifications), choose something they have done well with and is not on any recall list, with minimal grains.

We can just cross our fingers, speak out to the proper channels, and watch our cats as thoroughly as possible without going nuts.

Edited to say, I think we need HOUSE to get on this pet food recall!

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crt

I know runny poops are not listed as a symptom of the contamination, but I am worried! Has anyone else who regularly feeds NB noticed any changes in their cat's stools?
Stool changes are often part and parcel of the food transition process. Was this after a recent food switch of after a while of eating the food?

I think at this point, we have to monitor our cats as best as we can and if we have concerns we need to consult our vets. I dont' think peace of mind is easy to come by anymore. I wouldnt' RACE to the vets, but I would just watch and see if things stay the same, get worse or what. The tiniest things can upset our cats GI systems. I know, I know

crt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They have both been on NB for a number of months, which is why I am questioning this sudden change. The vet offices must be going crazy from calls, because mine has a recording that their office is "closed'. It's 8:45.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crt

They have both been on NB for a number of months, which is why I am questioning this sudden change. The vet offices must be going crazy from calls, because mine has a recording that their office is "closed'. It's 8:45.
I see....
all round. In that case I would bring my guys in (it still may be coincidence) but only a vet consult can ease our minds.

I suspect vets everywhere are chaotic. I was trying to book just a general check up recently and their first available is end of MAY. Lots of 'emergent' cases and acute follow ups. (oh and I am in a rural area!)

nytbs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have always fed canned NB and just a few days ago, I finished a "carton" of the Venison and Green Pea. As I went through the cans, my cat's poop became more and more sloppy and stinky. I have now convinced myself there was a problem with that batch. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner - I can't believe how many cans of that stuff I fed.

I now have a "carton" of the chicken and liver pate, and he has definitely shown an improvement - almost immediately. But, I'm switching away from NB today - this is just too scary.

(Also, I have a bag of the NB Venison and Brown Rice dog treats. Last night Petco told me it was OK to feed - then I read the press release... grrrr!)