New Member Needing Advice!

abigailjr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Recently, I've been contemplating rescuing an older, more "couch-potato" cat from a local shelter. I'm hesitant about it, because the cat would, most likely, be limited to my room and the upstairs only. I have a master bedroom which is pretty spacious, with five tall windows and a big-ish closet. The upstairs includes a long hallway, two other bedrooms, and a bathroom. The reason the cat would be limited to these areas is because my family owns two small chihuahua's, which are not cat friendly. I'm sure I could build them up to getting along, but currently, they do not get along with cats. I'm just wondering if my cat would be happy if he was confined to one space. I spend almost all of my time in my room besides class and work, which, depending on the day, is from 8 am to 5 pm. Would my cat be happy if I spent all remaining time with him, because I spend it in my room? Please give me advice!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
:hellosmiley:and welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: I think the cat you have in mind would do fine in the living space that you describe. He's older and more sedate, which is perfect. In fact, it sounds like you have more space than I do and I have two younger cats doing very well in my one bedroom apartment. The trick is to make the place cat friendly - toys, scratching posts, cat trees, fascinating things to look at... When you get to that point, we can give you a lot of advice on how to manage that.

From what you describe, you'll be with him quite a bit of the time so that should be okay, as well. Cats sleep between 16 and 20 hours a day so he may just sleep the time away while you are gone. Just be sure to give him plenty of attention while you are home, and include a regular playtime for him.

I think it's wonderful, more than wonderful, that you are considering an older cat from the shelter. These cats have such a hard time finding homes but they are such treasures and it's so sad they are overlooked. I've adopted two senior cats in the past and never regretted it for a second.

If you decide to adopt him, I hope you'll introduce him to us and post his picture. He sounds like such a sweetie pie -I think the two of you could have many wonderful years together.

While you are here, please take some time to look around the site a bit. There is an enormous amount of information here, in the articles and in the threads. We even have an article on introducing dogs and cats, when you get to that point! People are friendly and caring, you'll find we are as much a community as a source of information.
TuxedoPattedSmiley.gif

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A very warm welcome to TCS! :wave3: Glad you found this forum to ask for advice. margd margd gave you some excellent tips and suggestions. Regarding the two small chihuahuas currently living with your family, here's an article that might help about introducing them to a cat: How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted should you adopt a senior cat. Please feel free to ask any other questions or concerns, we're here to help you. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Yes, I think that the cat you described would do very well, so long as you provide plenty of climbing surfaces (a tree or two, or shelves) and toys. I can't begin to guess how many cats live happy, well-adjusted lives as beloved pets in New York apartments, many of which are only 400 square feet!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A05CC969-540E-48F2-8CA3-CF5AEDFCBBAE.gif
Abigailjr, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
55E411BB-D922-4458-B73A-CA5E407E5DBE.gif

Glad that you’ve joined the site and it’s good that you are asking questions and doing your homework before adopting a cat.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings to have more responses to your questions.

And don’t forget to post photos of your kitty for us to see when she’s home.

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Last edited: