New kittens, vomiting and coccidia

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted two kittens (10-14 weeks) from a shelter.

The male kitten is hearty as a lion. The female ate like crazy and seemed ok until three days in. I woke up and got her out for personal cuddle time. Fell asleep with her on my chest. Woke up and she hadn't even adjusted position. Sat her down in her play pen, she just curled up right there. Noticed she seemed overly warm and breathing very deeply. Visited the vet, seems she aspirated her food which caused the breathing issues and a low grade fever. She was given nausea medication and antibiotics. After this she threw up 1-4 hours after eating almost every meal. It was partly digested and mostly liquid (she has wet food as well as dry and is very good at drinking water). She did not have diarrhea at any point during this. She is peeing, pooping, eating and playing. Just at some point she would act sickly, lick her lips a lot then throw up awhile later. I feel like it happens even more at night when she's trying to sleep a long time.

Took her back to the vet, she lost a little weight but otherwise seemed ok. The vet gave me some canned digestive food and de-wormer. I asked if probiotics would be appropriate so he gave me some of those as well. The next day they let me know she had tested positive for Coccidia and gave me Albon to give both kittens for 8 days.

I noticed any time she ate the Royal Canin Digestive food she would slow down a lot and just overall seemed like she felt sick, picking her up even gently elicited a "hurk" sound. So I stopped feeding her that altogether and switched to Stella and Chewy's canned kitten food and no dry food. She perked up almost immediately. I noticed she would eat and instead of getting sluggish she was ready to go play and tumble all over the place.

She made it through the entire day and then at bedtime, once again, she was sick. Since then there are good and bad days, her weight is a yoyo but very slowly heading upwards. I'm trying to track her meals and vomiting episodes as well as I can but it's hard to keep up with when I'm at work. I am slowly switching her over to yet another food since the S&C's she is eating has a few ingredients that could potentially trigger stomach upset if she is just an extremely sensitive girl.

The Honest Kitchen is my next bet, was very happy with the information they provided when asked about the nutritionist that designs their formulas as well as the fact that all their foods seem to include Omega 3&6 as well as DHA, which after watching a few interviews with ACVN certified nutritionists may also be helpful in adult cats. She's going to the vet again tomorrow and is still getting probiotics on most meals.

TLDR: New kitten is having vomiting episodes. Vet treated her for aspiration pneumonia with antibiotics, gave her de-wormer then treated her for coccidia with Albon (She had no signs of worms or symptoms of coccidia, but tested positive for Coccidia). Vet suggested digestive food (I had Royal Canin wet) but it appeared to make her condition worse. Switched her to S&C's Chicken and Salmon Kitten food and noticed a marked improvement but she is still ill quite often. She is still active, using her litter often and very very slowly gaining weight. Currently slowly switching her to The Honest Kitchen wet food and continuing to add probiotics to most meals.

Any advice? Things to ask the vet tomorrow?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't seem to edit my post but it seems RAWZ is a "all stages of life" food so I must have been thinking about KOHA.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her licking her lips has connections with nausea / going to puke. That is why she throws minutes later.

My advice would be to try with goats milk if she accepts the taste. Cant hurt, may help; as its easily digested, good nourishment.

HERE it may be good to use raw goats milk, if you can find it. It may have some potential healthy properties.

Otherwise almost any other form of goats milk is doable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she still taking the Albon? It may be upsetting her tummy. Too much probiotics, however good for kittens, can also alter the gut biome and upset the tummy.

I would try to keep her on a soft food that she likes instead of constantly trying something new, and perhaps a daily anti-nausea pill for now would help while her tummy heals.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First an update. Vet was impressed with her condition, said she looked a lot healthier than our last visit. Gained a decent amount of weight as well. Fecal test was clean. He gave me another antibiotic, but I'm looking into it a bit more before deciding. I really suspect food intolerances/acid reflux which antibiotics may make worse again and she was really miserable

The reason I suspect this is that she has immediate nausea even when first eating. Then gets better and plays like a madwoman for a bit, slows down, then gets sick. If I have the time and hold her in an upright position she can make it through a "sick spell" and recovers in a couple minutes.

Yes, you can't edit your posts as you've just joined recently and your status have to be from Kitten to Young Cat before you can edit your posts.

Promotions and Benefits
Thanks so much for letting me know! Didn't even consider that but wanted to make sure no one was misinformed due to the post 🙈

Her licking her lips has connections with nausea / going to puke. That is why she throws minutes later.

My advice would be to try with goats milk if she accepts the taste. Cant hurt, may help; as its easily digested, good nourishment.

HERE it may be good to use raw goats milk, if you can find it. It may have some potential healthy properties.

Otherwise almost any other form of goats milk is doable.
Will definitely take this into consideration especially if she has another bad day, we have a Petsense nearby and they had goats milk from what I remember. Funny because it's the first thing my dad said except he didn't know goats milk is the only kind they can really have.

Is she still taking the Albon? It may be upsetting her tummy. Too much probiotics, however good for kittens, can also alter the gut biome and upset the tummy.

I would try to keep her on a soft food that she likes instead of constantly trying something new, and perhaps a daily anti-nausea pill for now would help while her tummy heals.
She has been done with the Albon for 3-4 days. Even before it she was throwing up for about a week (or longer, I noticed in a photo from the shelter that there was a stain on a puppy pad in their cage which may have been her. At the time I thought it was probably diarrhea from stress/changing food).

Definitely not switching her food anymore, the vet tried to get me to try Purina Gastroenteric but that will be put off until we see if the problem lasts until adulthood/all other elimination diets fail. She's doing far too well right now on her food to risk it. I have been giving her small amounts of bone broth/probiotics since I know they help with acid reflux some and I haven't noticed her condition worsen due to them so will stick with it for now.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
First an update. Vet was impressed with her condition, said she looked a lot healthier than our last visit. Gained a decent amount of weight as well. Fecal test was clean. He gave me another antibiotic, but I'm looking into it a bit more before deciding. I really suspect food intolerances/acid reflux which antibiotics may make worse again and she was really miserable

The reason I suspect this is that she has immediate nausea even when first eating. Then gets better and plays like a madwoman for a bit, slows down, then gets sick. If I have the time and hold her in an upright position she can make it through a "sick spell" and recovers in a couple minutes.

Thanks so much for letting me know! Didn't even consider that but wanted to make sure no one was misinformed due to the post 🙈

Will definitely take this into consideration especially if she has another bad day, we have a Petsense nearby and they had goats milk from what I remember. Funny because it's the first thing my dad said except he didn't know goats milk is the only kind they can really have.

She has been done with the Albon for 3-4 days. Even before it she was throwing up for about a week (or longer, I noticed in a photo from the shelter that there was a stain on a puppy pad in their cage which may have been her. At the time I thought it was probably diarrhea from stress/changing food).

Definitely not switching her food anymore, the vet tried to get me to try Purina Gastroenteric but that will be put off until we see if the problem lasts until adulthood/all other elimination diets fail. She's doing far too well right now on her food to risk it. I have been giving her small amounts of bone broth/probiotics since I know they help with acid reflux some and I haven't noticed her condition worsen due to them so will stick with it for now.
I think your wise in considering all things and taking steps to not make so many changes at once-it is true thst anti- biotic can add to these types of digestive issues but please have thst conversation with the Vet that has prescribed more- is it as a precautionary measure or has there been any indication there is still infection present?I'm pretty sure if there is not the Vet may agree with you,after all you are the one who observes her reactions every day and your input is most valuable to the Vet- they can only go by what symptoms your reporting if all tests come back clean & negative

It sounds to me like baby is in very good hands- please keep us informed about her progress and if you would,please show us what she looks like and her little brother too- what are their names?

Oh my,almost forgot!
:welcomesign::hellosmiley::grouphug: Welcome to TCS,very nice to meet you

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think your wise in considering all things and taking steps to not make so many changes at once-it is true thst anti- biotic can add to these types of digestive issues but please have thst conversation with the Vet that has prescribed more- is it as a precautionary measure or has there been any indication there is still infection present?I'm pretty sure if there is not the Vet may agree with you,after all you are the one who observes her reactions every day and your input is most valuable to the Vet- they can only go by what symptoms your reporting if all tests come back clean & negative

It sounds to me like baby is in very good hands- please keep us informed about her progress and if you would,please show us what she looks like and her little brother too- what are their names?

Oh my,almost forgot!
:welcomesign::hellosmiley::grouphug: Welcome to TCS,very nice to meet you
After looking into what he prescribed I decided to give it to her. It's also used to treat IBD which was definitely a concern. I'm just not a huge fan of the "medicine shotgun" approach since it's hard to tell what part is making her better or worse and why, but I can understand that at her tiny size it's important to do what we can ASAP in case it is something more serious.

It's really hard to get in contact with the vet because he's affiliated with the shelter, rather than being the vet I use for my adult cats. He didn't really indicate that she had an infection. She does have a unusually wet nose and watery eyes (and has since day one) but I suspect that may be allergies of some kind but no way to know.

Thanks so much for the welcome! I'll make an introduction post with all the kitty tax sometime tomorrow ;)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
After looking into what he prescribed I decided to give it to her. It's also used to treat IBD which was definitely a concern. I'm just not a huge fan of the "medicine shotgun" approach since it's hard to tell what part is making her better or worse and why, but I can understand that at her tiny size it's important to do what we can ASAP in case it is something more serious.

It's really hard to get in contact with the vet because he's affiliated with the shelter, rather than being the vet I use for my adult cats. He didn't really indicate that she had an infection. She does have a unusually wet nose and watery eyes (and has since day one) but I suspect that may be allergies of some kind but no way to know.

Thanks so much for the welcome! I'll make an introduction post with all the kitty tax sometime tomorrow ;)
Good call- imo However,I really love to hear pet parents who make diligent efforts to consider every option and pay such close attention to their little ones

Will you be seeing your regular Vet ?

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good call- imo However,I really love to hear pet parents who make diligent efforts to consider every option and pay such close attention to their little ones

Will you be seeing your regular Vet ?
I’ve had some absolutely horrible (human) doctors so I do my best to make sure to do my own research as well as fact checking via actual medical studies.

That being said, I have had many blessings in the form of doctors/veterinarians who really care for their patients and have improved our quality of life drastically. Our bunny broke his leg and even knowing that it would be a difficult thing to fix (and may not even work) our local vet set his leg for $100. The alternative was a metal insert which may have caused him pain for the rest of his tiny life. She was a miracle worker and didn’t give up even when he healed very slowly.

I have to talk with the shelter vet to make sure it’s ok first and get all her files sent over. I also need to make sure the regular veterinarian is in because my normal vet wasn’t there last time and I had extreme concerns about some of the temp vet’s opinions.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww,that's wonderful that she cared for bunny that way- gotta love that Vet,she's one of those very special ones you stick with for life---- I told my Vet last week he better NEVER retire,I'd be crushed!

It's really a pleasure reading your posts,so glad you've joined our lil Cat Site family

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww,that's wonderful that she cared for bunny that way- gotta love that Vet,she's one of those very special ones you stick with for life---- I told my Vet last week he better NEVER retire,I'd be crushed!

It's really a pleasure reading your posts,so glad you've joined our lil Cat Site family
Yep, definitely! Sadly they are so busy I don't actually go there unless it's an emergency/surgery is required. I live in a rural area and they are the local horse/cow/goat/exotic animal vet so usually booked out for months in advance.

Well quick update, I managed to get all her medicines in her for the past two days. The first day she ate a few bites of dinner then threw up white foam, went back to the food then threw up again. Scared me half to death but I think the medicine upset her stomach so she avoided her food resulting in stomach acid build up. She seemed to be throwing up less for a bit and now started again (sighs).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can add a few grains of probiotics to her food to see if it helps her tummy. Hopefully she gets better soon. If she’s not getting enough nutrition, give her honey water in small amounts by syringe every 2 hours to keep her hydrated. It works wonders!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, definitely! Sadly they are so busy I don't actually go there unless it's an emergency/surgery is required. I live in a rural area and they are the local horse/cow/goat/exotic animal vet so usually booked out for months in advance.

Well quick update, I managed to get all her medicines in her for the past two days. The first day she ate a few bites of dinner then threw up white foam, went back to the food then threw up again. Scared me half to death but I think the medicine upset her stomach so she avoided her food resulting in stomach acid build up. She seemed to be throwing up less for a bit and now started again (sighs).
Yeah- sounds like the meds( white foam)

Good advice from Sarthur2 Sarthur2 - honey water does work incredibly well for hydration

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can add a few grains of probiotics to her food to see if it helps her tummy. Hopefully she gets better soon. If she’s not getting enough nutrition, give her honey water in small amounts by syringe every 2 hours to keep her hydrated. It works wonders!
She’s getting half a packet of probiotics twice a day. Never heard of honey water for cats, is manuka honey safe for ingestion as well? That might help heal her tummy.

We had a bunny with chronic eye infections. Manuka honey eye compresses worked wonders.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LiLi was up in the big cats home sleeping in that classic cat donut position but I could tell she was starting to feel ill again. I walked up and she woke then came to see me. She naturally just crawled out onto my shoulder, I think she knows she feels better when I hold her like that and is now asking me to do it.

I had bought some cloth baby diapers to line her bed with so I got three of them and folded them into a kind of stair step shape. Sat her on it and gently made her lay down in a position that seemed comfy but kept her head above her stomach. I did that a couple more times over the past few hours and came back a minute ago to see her laying on it on her own.

Attachments

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is strangely better today :goodluck: She threw up after breakfast but it was that immediate "food hit empty stomach too suddenly" type of reaction.

Currently I am feeding her Turkey protein Honest Kitchen (also has fish oil). Four 30 gram meals four hours apart and it seemed to improve her condition a lot. Is 120 grams (approx 118 kcal) enough for an approximately 3-4 month old kitten that's around 1100 grams? Should I increase it based on her weight?

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
24 hours with no throwing up! Then our adult female, YanYan, was like oh ok if you need a cat to vomit 😨 (I calmed her down before she did, think she got a hair or something tickling her throat)

As of tonight LiLi is also done with all her medications. It seems now there are only two time periods where she'll throw up:

1. Right after eating (too fast) especially on an empty stomach
2. If she goes too long during the day without a meal at a time she normally eats (husband thought I fed her before work so she didn't get her 2PM meal, ended up throwing up on the big cats bed :updown:)

I am pretty sure I was accidentally sabotaging my kitten by feeling sorry for her and feeding her late at night when I wouldn't always be up (causing stomach acid production that she would then throw up). I now have a meal chart to track everything. She hasn't gained weight but that will be the next focus now that we've got the vomiting under control. Someone in another thread mentioned kitten's stomach is about 4% of their body weight so keeping in line with that we can up her meal sizes slowly.

In other updates I am really happy that "getting another cat for a cat cat" worked out. LiLi is starting to go toe to toe with her 9 and 11 pound siblings like it's nothing, even YanYan the cat hater tends to initiate play with all the other cats now 🤭

Completely unrelated tangent:
YanYan almost throwing up earlier reminded me of my old cat Sissy. She would act like she was going to throw up so we would rush to throw her out the front door so it was easier to clean up. The instant I sat her down outside she would stop coughing and act happy as could be. I think she learned to trick us into letting her outside :worship: