new kittens...........help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tjarvis3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to work tomorrow so I'm going to get my sister to take them. When I took them on Friday, she told me since the other litter mates had died, that there was a chance that their mom may have feline leukemia and that they could have gotten that from her. She asked if t wanted them tested and I told her not right now. Maybe that was a mistake.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible that they have something from Mom. But keep your fingers crossed that it is just kitten colds. I would get them looked at though, as even colds need treatment

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vets recommend a homemade pedialyte so the water doesn't diminish the electrolytes and cause dehydration.  www.kitten-rescue.com has a good recipe (the same site recommended earlier).  You could ask your vet about giving them L-lysine; I've never given it to kittens so young. & StephanZ's recommendation to keep them in your shirt is excellent - I think they get emotional as well as physical support that way.  Bless you for helping those little cuties! 

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another tip would be to feed them more frequently if you can if they are not taking as much at a time.  For example, if you had been feeding them every 4 hours feed them every 2.  Another tip would be to give them some glucose to perk them up.  Caro sugar can work too if you have that, or even plain white sugar can work but it will take MUCH longer and so is not ideal.  You should put this on their gums.  It may give them the energy to eat more.

Honestly, some sneezing at this age is NOT a good thing just because they are so little, but could mean anything and is also NOT necessarily an indicator of feline lukemia. The most important things remain that you keep them warm and that you make sure they are gaining weight.  Everything else is secondary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tjarvis3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister took them to the vet for me today. The had feline leukemia. A hard decision to make. But not when I thought about how they struggled to breathe. They are now sleeping. I'd like to think that they are running through a meadow in kitty Heaven, chasing butterflies. I will miss them so very much. But, in their short life, I'd like to think that they knew how much I loved them. Rest easy little Harley and little Davidson. I know they will be waiting for me on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that. But know that they were very lucky to have you in their short time here on Earth. I know nothing is going to make you feel better right now, but you did everything possible for those little ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.