Purraise
I see..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello,
I bought them the food and will feed it today, do I need to transition them on it aswell? Should I poor a little bit of warm KMR on it? Also theyre not supposed to drink cold KMR right? Because today the mom cat and the kitten vomited a tiny bit right after drinking cold KMR (someone had left it out while I was absent) 😕

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can warm the KMR and mix a bit into the wet food to make a slushy gruel that is easier for the kittens to eat.

• Purraise
Reactions: kuu

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey so I fed them the slushy gruel and both of them ate it, they mostly licked the kmr of it but ate here and there some bits. They dont eat much of it yet. I hope its not too fast of a transition (?) I will monitor them in hopes of them pooping. Thank you for your advice! Hopefully all goes right

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great job! Let’s hope they begin to eat more of it over time and begin to have solid kitten poops!

Which brand wet food did you feed?

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fed them this macs kitten - Google Search with KMR ontop. They just ate some more but no poop yet. I was wondering if that mix is too mush? They first refused before I crushed it down a lil. I bought them rabbit and turkey because the mom cat is allergic to cattle and fish, the selection wasnt that big if not those 2.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are the kittens doing today on their new wet food? Liking it better? Pooping yet?

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
they like the wet food even without the KMR now. They eat rather little amounts at a time (I guess tiny kitten tiny belly?) still no poop :C they urinate normally, drink normally, play normally everything but normal defecation... I will call the vet today and hopefully hell know what this is. Because their bellies are soft and not bloated at all, I just dont know where the food goes?? The mom cat certainly isnt licking it off. I also heard of adding tiny drop of olive oil to the food, is it safe? The attached picture; I cant determine if the grey part is the litter itself having a different coloir (the pellets have some parts that are just different colour like red in them) or if its diarrhea, although I have to add Ive seen them urinate everytime and I never noticed it being there immediately afterwards

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t see any red, and that definitely looks like poop. Continue on - they should poop real poops soon!

• Purraise

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this is poop?? Isnt that really bad looking 0_0 and btw yea the red isnt in that pic

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t see any red, and that definitely looks like poop. Continue on - they should poop real poops soon!
hello one of the two kittens finally pooped today! And a lot too... I had asked the vet but she claimed that the mother cat must be eating the poop if theyre eating normally, and theres nothing to worry about~

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oops

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the other kitten just pooped as well! Finally its resolved! Thank you very much :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I knew they would. It just takes a little time and patience. 😊

• Purraise

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
I got 2 kittens, age 7 weeks, eat wet food normal behavior and all but they nurse on my mom cat occasionally but often enough that the favourite teat looks like this now; (teat pictures) theres like a base swollen around the nipple. Is that normal? Teat is soft but it looked different before.
Is this bad and should I stop them from nursing? Should I apply warmth or cold? Or anything at all?
very close pink picture is before it was swollen

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s their mom, right? Her nipples and mammary areas look normal to me for a nursing cat - not inflamed or infected. However, you can apply bag balm or coconut oil to the nipples and surrounding areas to keep them from chapping.

Most mother cats let their kittens know when they are fed up with nursing. Since they are only 7 weeks old, they will want to nurse a while longer. It’s really not an issue as long as their mom is okay with it.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes shes their mom, and alright Ill see what I can do. But do you really not see the elevated base?
I have to say this mom cat never complains about anything, therefore I doubt she will stop the from nursing any day coming

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What do you mean by “change its form”?

The longer kittens nurse, the more milk comes in. The mammaries become bloated and milk-filled and even begin to sag. This indicates healthy milk production. It happens to the most-used nipples and the others dry up when not used. Again, things look normal to me and I see no reason for concern or to stop the kittens from nursing.