New kitten questions

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey guys,
I have a 3 years old cat that recently got kittens (now spayed) she birthed two kittens and she keeps biting one of the two in the throat (not the neck where they pick them up) she bites quite firmly and now she started bunnykicking aswell. She did bite the other the same way but she particularly does it often with the other one. The kittens are a week and 5 days old. I intervened everytime when she got too much into or wouldnt stop anytime soon. The kitten eventually lets out a cry, no blood drawn. Mother cats ears not aggressive and it usually happens if they are nursing or getting groomed. Its not like they are misbehaving either, considering they can barely walk properly. I personally think she is trying to discipline (very early) them but doesnt realize how firmly she bites?
Does anyone know what to do or how to tell if shes going too far? also I did ask the vet he thinks that cats will never harm their litter, but it has proven itself not to be true in all cases.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
See if you can get a video to show the vet, and you need to weigh them frequently in case she's not letting them nurse enough. If either or both aren't gaining, you'll need to step in and help feed them.

Is her belly/nipples red or hard?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do weigh them every night they are both gaining weight, although the amount has decreased by a bit (from 30/26g to 10/17g a day) the one she bites now weighs 271g, the day before 261g, the day before that 248g. With the other (unattacked kitten) its 261g, 244g, 229g respectively. Unconfirmed but very obvious, that the attacked kitten is a male. Her belly is normal pinkish and her teats are still full of milk, not hard, very soft and pretty
(she had a c section, and the kittens unfortunately scratched there when nursing, but it has healed and doesnt bother her anymore)

I would like to upload a video but it keeps saying the extension is not supported, perhaps upload it on yt?

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and I did show the vet* He did not seem to be very knowledgeable about any of my questions

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sigh its awaiting for approval of a moderator

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
kuu kuu yes, this platform doesn't support youtube shorts. Usually we don't allow links but we've left it and will move this to our Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care forum to see if they can help. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue to intervene if she gets too rough. She’s trying to get them to hold still while she grooms. Bunny kicks are common but only when kitten is older. She probably just doesn’t know any better, so just make sure no harm is done.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Continue to intervene if she gets too rough. She’s trying to get them to hold still while she grooms. Bunny kicks are common but only when kitten is older. She probably just doesn’t know any better, so just make sure no harm is done.
Alright I can do that, she now plays with their heads :I she puts her paws on his head trying to play with it, accidentally getting her claws out. Im honestly at my end

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wanted to comment the weights. The first rise of 26/30 g is excellent, much over average. So the sinking to 10-15 grammes is probably no immediate problem, its I hope, a turn to the normal...

Lets hope her behavior is just because she isnt a natural good mom, and so, she doesnt know better.
But yeah, it means you must try to be there, and prevent excessess. You can perhaps talk her down - this works sometimes. Or just stop it, gently but firmly.

The question is, if you should isolate them when you cant supervise. For example, you are sleeping some kittens in their own nest with a heat source, and her on her own...

Physically they should manage this. They are nicely grown. In nature, momma is often away even several hours.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, about the weights they are steadily gaining again with average of 12-16g a day. Lately i have not seen her do it much, perhaps she took our advice when we intervened. It has been almost 2 weeks since theyve been born and to be fair Ive been awake for most of the nights and so far she has only been sleeping through it, no groomin or anything. She also often sleeps outside of the enclosure but very close by (probably too warm for her)
I must say shes very attached to her kittens I fear shed panic if she cant reach them?

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey guys I desperately need help, whenever the kitten tries to leave the box (nest) she gets very aggressive about it and starts biting bunnykicking a the sorts. i know this style of hers, she does the same with her toy and she gets really aggressive during it, when I stop her she attacks my hand instead (blindish rage/too upset to care) I dont mind it but Id like to have him start exploring his surroundings without beeing viciously attacked, how can I show her that its okay??

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He’s too young to explore. He’s not yet even 3 weeks old and needs to stay in a confined area. Mom’s instincts are to protect her kitten. She should loosen up a bit more as he gets bigger.
but they ARE 3 weeks old and 1 day accordong to the internet its whrre they start exploring and interacting with their litter mates, which is exactly whats happening

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In your very first post you said they were a week and 5 days old - so 12 days - and that was last Thursday, which was 5 days ago. This would make them 17 days old.

If they are ready to explore, I would let them out under supervision in a small room for short periods, and just watch mom carefully. Over time she will get more comfortable with them out of the nest, but they should not be allowed the run of the home for several more weeks. Kittens can get into all sorts of trouble.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In your very first post you said they were a week and 5 days old - so 12 days - and that was last Thursday, which was 5 days ago. This would make them 17 days old.

If they are ready to explore, I would let them out under supervision in a small room for short periods, and just watch mom carefully. Over time she will get more comfortable with them out of the nest, but they should not be allowed the run of the home for several more weeks. Kittens can get into all sorts of trouble.
17 days are pretty much their third week, I should probably define explore better. Theyre literally outside their nest, supervised all the time, closed room. I do have to say she does attack them less now, though I have to pet her again and again so she isnt stressed lol

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
kuu kuu when kittens are that young, two weeks and three days is a lot less than three. ;)
Good to hear she isn't attacking them to the same degree. I do hope things settle soon as it's pretty exhausting keeping such a close eye on them.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suppose you are right, I thought its supposed to happen IN the 3d week not after they are 3 weeks old o3o things are fortunately settling down.This male kitten is very strong he opened the zip himself and got out (we left it open at the top so mama cat can come in) lol