New kitten questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by “change its form”?

The longer kittens nurse, the more milk comes in. The mammaries become bloated and milk-filled and even begin to sag. This indicates healthy milk production. It happens to the most-used nipples and the others dry up when not used. Again, things look normal to me and I see no reason for concern or to stop the kittens from nursing.
I believe this picture should clear up what I mean. Left one is the concerned one, the one that suddenly got a raised pinkish base, right one is normal. Both get sucked on, left one more

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you applying any bag balm or coconut oil? That should soothe any chapping and irritation from nursing. The nipple looks well used and a bit chapped.

All nipples and mammary glands will recover and go back to normal after mom is spayed, her milk dries up, and no kittens are nursing.,

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you applying any bag balm or coconut oil? That should soothe any chapping and irritation from nursing. The nipple looks well used and a bit chapped.

All nipples and mammary glands will recover and go back to normal after mom is spayed, her milk dries up, and no kittens are nursing.,
no I dont have any coconut oil or bag palm as of now, and Im a bit in a tight spot right now. Is it going to worsen if nothing is applied?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have any petroleum jelly? Or anyone to borrow from?

It may get more chapped. Oil or vaseline petroleum jelly will soften and protect, which may give mom comfort, as it looks a bit raw. It’s important that only non-toxic products are applied. You can even use olive oil.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have any petroleum jelly? Or anyone to borrow from?

It may get more chapped. Oil or vaseline petroleum jelly will soften and protect, which may give mom comfort, as it looks a bit raw. It’s important that only non-toxic products are applied. You can even use olive oil.
hi I just found coconut oil! I applied it :) Is it truly safe for the kittens?

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I might be imagining things but I think the base isnt swollen anymore, still pinkish but better. My cat tries to lick it off a lot since she really likes the taste of coconut ^^""