New Kitten Not Interested In Older Kitten

Ledioba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, a couple of days ago we brought home our second cat, Milo. He's nearing on 13 weeks old as we speak. He was primarily meant as company for our big guy, Charlie. Me and my domestic partner is home a large portion of the day due to me currently studying and him working 50-75%, but since we know that's going to change in the future we thought we might as well nip that problem in the butt and get him a little buddy during the holidays.

Charlie is 6-7 months old and still very playful, great we thought, as he might match a little kitten's energy levels for the majority of it's adolesence. However we did not expect to be going home with the runt of the litter so the size difference between the two is quite apparent (picture here). Aside from the first day and a half, where Charlie was a bit growly and hissy, he's accepted the newcomer's presence pretty well. If he knows the little guy is sleeping or not moving around too much, he can do the same and relax. They can eat together, no problem, even from the same bowl. The problem is, if Milo is up and moving about, Charlie will follow him around wherever he goes. He will kind of stalk him a bit, but even if he pounces and runs towrads Milo he will let out a trill and usually stop a couple of decimeters away from Milo with chest puffed out and lower body held low, as if he doesn't want to catch him TOO off guard. At this point Charlie will swat at him lightly or even go in for a grab. He doesn't use his claws but he bites Milo a little, usually not too roughly and he lets him go after a while. If Milo starts to protest we break it off between the two.

His body language is what I percieve as playful throughout this, with dilated pupils and ears pricked forward. He will also trill quite excessively. However, Milo doesn't seem too bothered with Charlie's antics. He will throw him a glance and continue with whatever he's doing. Milo used to stop, turn sideways and arch his back and hiss when he wanted Charlie to back off, now he just kind of trots/runs away. He doesn't initiate contact, nor fight back too much when he's grabbed. He'll usually just kind of go limp and maybe hiss or cry out a bit if he wants to be let go of.

I'm mainly worried about how Milo doesn't seem interested in Charlie at all. He loves playing with toys, eats like a horse and drinks healthily. He seems completely normal in every other way. I'm mainly worried about if we're somehow giving him bad experiences with Charlie and that it might spell trouble for the future. Are we wrong to let them play in the manner they're doing now? It's seems kind of awkward that the play is so one-sided.

Both were removed from their siblings at 12 weeks old so they should have been socialized plenty and Charlie has been neutered. Naturally, playtime is limited and supervised and both cats are taking turns between the bathroom and the rest of the apartment when they're kept apart.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milo is super-young, and just arrived. Give it a week and he will likely be playing with Charlie. It doesn't sound like Milo is at any risk of being hurt...I like to say that this type of squealing is more like big brother giving an indian sunburn. Yeah, younger brother might squeal, but it doesn't *really* hurt him, and won't impact him wanting big brother to play. Milo just needs a little more time, you can let them work it out. If you do separate them, do it gently -- they are fine, so don't be the ones to add stress to the process. Although the odds are excellent they will be friendly in a short time given their ages, it is not a sure thing. But there isn't much you can do to help other than feed together, play together, pet them together, give them treats together -- build positive experiences. Probably totally unnecessary, but it can't hurt anything.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The young are pretty much accepted by the resident older cat. My, what a difference in size and color, a contrast! the kitten has just been separated from everything he knows, so will take awhile to get used to things, He is more interested right now in the new surroundings rather than that older cat who hisses at him. He will quickly adjust, in about like a week, as what was said above, and turn his attention to his new playmate. A young boy is a perfect match, they will become buddies. A girl would have been fine at first, but they are the divas of the household as they get older and she would have become more of a stern mother figure than a buddy to wrestle with. Right now, Charlie is wary of the that new ball of energy, but he will quickly become entranced by all the playing and will want to join in. He will take the place of the little one's siblings, so manners and limits must be taught, don't be alarmed by a little fur and much noise, chasing, and hissing at times. The little one needs to be taught his manners, if not he will start in on you. As long as there is no blood, deep bites or scratches, everything sounds perfectly normal. Mine have been together all their life, are mother and sons, and I still have to yell No when the tussles start, it sounds like a serious fight, but it is just the way they are.Serious fights involve a lot of torn skin and ears, and deep bloody bites, I have ferals too. Bless you for taking in Milo, he will bring you both much joy, love them, it is all they want in life!

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From what you describe, things are going purrfectly. Sharing food is a Big Sign they accept each other. They are treating each other with respect and once things are a bit more evened up and they are both confident in the home they are going to go gangbusters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ledioba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate it and feel a bit more calm about this whole situation as this is my first time bringing a older cat, or well, a older kitten together with a comparatively young one. It's good to hear that there's a logical explanation.

It's obvious that Charlie means well, but I think that maybe he's a bit too eager. Milo doesn't really get too much time to explore and get a feel of the place with Charlie trying to initiate play constantly. I suppose we'll have to try to give the little guy a bit more time alone in the whole apartment. It's been kind of difficult so far, since Charlie is used to have some more room to roam around in and whenever he hears Milo doing something outside he gets antsy and starts meowing and trilling like crazy.

And yeah, haha, It's amazing to think that there's only 3 months and 10 days between them all in all. Milo has already grown noticably since that photo was taken so it shouldn't take too long before they're on the same level. Thanks again everyone, It's hard not to get a bit neurotic, with the size difference and being the first time and all. You've put my mind at ease.