New kitten can’t be found in house

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wondering about the details that led up to this event...Do you know if something spooked him? Or was he skiddish from the start, and just took his first chance to go into hiding? Was there evidence that he ate anything during this whole time? From my understanding, a cat not eating for several days is dangerous, and they are very likely to find the drive to eat at least something if they get hungry enough. My cat went at least several days without food when he was lost outside 9 years ago, before I found him (he was declawed, so no hunting ability), and he has had permanent health issues as a result of that starvation.
He was probably traumatized-he was being rehomed and he’s so young. We do think he ate and drank, because I was putting out things my very finicky Finn doesn’t like. Finn will only eat a specific flavor of ONE dry brand, but never touched canned food or tuna. Those things were gone and water level went down. Since the kitten, Xander, wasn’t showing on the cam, we thought maybe Finn was eating it after all. Now, we think Xander was just very evasive. He looks fine on cam. He’s still hiding when people are around, but interacting with Finn a bit. We moved everything closer to the fridge for him. I don’t like having a litter box in the kitchen, but we think Xander couldn’t make it down the hall. He pooped in an empty box in the pantry 😂

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it's alure of the cubby hole. We temporarily lost a sedate, calm cat down the heat ducts because when we moved in she found the open vent before we did. She did return for food fairly quickly. But it just goes to show even when they aren't upset the spirit of adventure may grab them. Upset -- it's bound to.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big problem with him being in the kitchen is its hard not to be noisy there. Maybe make a habit, hours after the last noises of dinner, just spend a couple hours chilling on your phone in there. Eventually, you might be able to lure out with treats or toys.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, thank goodness! That sick feeling in my tummy is gone now! Little rascal, but he's slowly getting used to begin out and about!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sick feeling in my tummy is gone now!
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Even when I read these stories posted by people I've never met, it makes me feel terrible when I read them and they have sad outcomes.

This actually proves to me that cats can be even more stealthy than I already knew them to be. I was SURE Xander had gotten outside, and then was victim to whatever fate that happened out there.

When Willy used to hide after I took him in from outside, he was a very good hider, but I was always able to find him. The funniest memory I have from those days was when he had climbed inside a recliner chair, and the fabric covering the bottom, underneath the chair, had a cat-shaped bulge in it (like he was lying in it like a hammock), as he had wormed his way inside of the chair.

Last edited:

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Xander continues to be evasive, although we see him on the cam at night. My son (26 and high-functioning autistic) is really frustrated but he’s hanging in there. We were a bit concerned about Xander apparently hiding behind the fridge-potentially dangerous!-so we carefully moved it today. But he’s not there. He is TRICKY! 😂

Attachments

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Xander continues to be evasive, although we see him on the cam at night. My son (26 and high-functioning autistic) is really frustrated but he’s hanging in there. We were a bit concerned about Xander apparently hiding behind the fridge-potentially dangerous!-so we carefully moved it today. But he’s not there. He is TRICKY! 😂
That's good news, because you weren't seeing any trace of him before. The fact that you are finding evidence of his emergence now means he is getting a little braver each day. At least, that's my interpretation of this whole story.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were a bit concerned about Xander apparently hiding behind the fridge
Its certainly not a great spot. But while there would be some value to blocking it off, I dont really like the idea of moving appliances as a general matter. You'll scare the kitten greatly, have no control over where it hides next and could accidentally cause an injury doing it.

The thing to do is sit in the room where the kitten is hiding . . . and do nothing. There are many many kittens that hide under beds for a full week. Its quite possible for it to take longer in an inferior spot, so patience is required.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you, per chance, make a place for him to hide?

Get an empty cardboard box or something then put it in an out-of-the-way place where it's safe. Encourage him to use the new hideout by putting treats or catnip inside.

Hopefully, he'll start hiding there instead of some place where he could get hurt or trapped.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its certainly not a great spot. But while there would be some value to blocking it off, I dont really like the idea of moving appliances as a general matter.
I get where you are coming from. But since Xander is such a newcomer to this household, I personally don't see harm in removing the option of going behind the fridge as he gains confidence in his new environment. As long as it is done carefully, of course.

If he continues to be a chronic hider for an extended period of time, then you can't continually move furniture. But in this specific case, I think hiding behind/under a refrigerator actually is dangerous. I would probably do the same if my cat's favorite hiding spot was the fridge. I'd rather that he would pick a different spot.

That's my two cents on this issue, anyway.

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Overnight, I managed to get Xander confined to the guest bedroom! 😃 This is ideal. He has a cat bed, fresh litter, lots of food and water, a new bag of toys, a box with a hole cut in it, a cat carrier, and soft music. LITERALLY the way we meant to/should’ve started in the first place. He’s mad and sticking his paws under the door, but I think it will be much easier to socialize him. He will be safer, too.

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Overnight, I managed to get Xander confined to the guest bedroom! 😃 This is ideal. He has a cat bed, fresh litter, lots of food and water, a new bag of toys, a box with a hole cut in it, a cat carrier, and soft music. LITERALLY the way we meant to/should’ve started in the first place. He’s mad and sticking his paws under the door, but I think it will be much easier to socialize him. He will be safer, too.
By the way, he wasn’t behind the fridge after all. I think it was his hiding place up until last night, but ironically he had moved.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
🎉
Great news!

If he's sticking his paws under the door, you just have to get a paper straw or stick you to play with him now 🤣

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, your good now. Just be patient. The more body parts anyone sticks under the bed, the longer it will take! Sitting on the bed and chilling, or even better the floor, if you can stand it (pun intended), will help. Just being there and not making noise. Over the long haul you can gradually get the kitten trained on treats and use them to lure out. A lure toy might be helpful as well, but just be careful not to scare the kitten with it. It may not be ready for that for a while

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful!! This sounds like the perfect setup for him until he is ready for whole-house life. Are you spending some time in the room with him so he gets used to your and your family's presence? Be patient and provide positive interactions with toys. With shy kittens I have fostered, I often try to sit near their food bowl so they begin to associate me with food + good feelings. I sometimes try to speak softly and talk to them or read out loud so they get used to my voice. I also do something that may or may not be advisable to some, but I engage them in what I called "forced cuddles" which sounds kind of terrible, but isn't. I wrap them up in a burrito in a blanket and cuddle them in my arms, very gently stroking their heads, for 10-15 mins MAX or until they just will absolutely not tolerate it. I've had success with this but they were all younger than your boy. I think this can help them get used to human touch at a young age but obviously, determine whether you think this appropriate for you and your kitty. :) it is not one size fits all and all kitties all different, after all.

Once he is ready, you could try to expose him the rest of the house in small, supervised doses, but I would definitely not recommend that right now!

BigCoffinHunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!
He is “crying” (a pathetic meow) and looking at the door a LOT since last night. We just visit him and speak quietly to him. He still hides when we come in, but it’s just been a few days. I think he’s bored and lonely but he’s still not ready to come out. There’s so many toys! I hope he stops hiding soon.