New kitten advice whilst they grow 😊

Laurenjayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone
Am new here but have used it to search for things when had querys 😊
My girl gave birth to 5 kittens 13 days ago, she had one and then 12 hours later had 4 very close together.
They were all born quite small with the smallest being around 72g which is of course below the norm.
This baby was very obviously the runt and after a few days of it feeding like the others it stopped and was obviously growing a lot less than the others. It looked different too, his fur was greasy and flat compared to the others.
We spent 2 days starting to hand feed with formula and syrine but he passed away at 5 days old.
Now at 13 days the others are doing well eyes open, ranging from 250g to 297g.
Mum has started to leave them longer rather than sleep with them all the time like she did before, is that normal?
Mum and dad are both colour points so are the babies so waiting to see exactly what colours they will be 😊
I am now some what of a helicopter parent after losing the runt, I've been sleeping on the sofa to be with them all night and because 2 of the kittens decided one nipple is their nipple it's been hard to make sure they both feed although they seem to be pretty strong willed and like to fight it out. Should I let them decide between them and not intervene? I don't want to stress mum and the kittens out as they seem to manage when I'm at work and sleeping.
Looking forward to sharing out journey with everyone!

Here is mum and babies.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re these sharing kittens: an idea could perhaps be you rotate them, one sleep on, one eats.... As you could do with a runt or a very big batch...
Momma seems to be a lynx, probably seal lynx - so the bet is kittens will be copy cats. Depends a little also on what daddy is. and if momma is homozygot for tabby and black, or if she is heterozygot. They can also carry the dilutation gene although in parents not visible.

ps. Great pity about the late one, but such happens.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laurenjayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Re these sharing kittens: an idea could perhaps be you rotate them, one sleep on, one eats.... As you could do with a runt or a very big batch...
Momma seems to be a lynx, probably seal lynx - so the bet is kittens will be copy cats. Depends a little also on what daddy is. and if momma is homozygot for tabby and black, or if she is heterozygot. They can also carry the dilutation gene although in parents not visible.

ps. Great pity about the late one, but such happens.....
Thank you yes it's such a shame and created more than normal anxiety now with the others but I hope they continue to flourish.
Dad is seal point, his parents are seal point mum and blue point dad. Mums parents are blue lynx mum and seal point dad.
I am rotating the two who share anytime I am there when they feed, they seem to both be gaining but of course sharing isn't ideal for them and gosh do they fight like mini boxers!
We have coloured them with collars and looks to be 3 boys 1 girl but will be double checking again soon 😊
We have left over formula is Mum allowed it? I don't want to upset her stomach. She is eating kitten dry and wet food regularly day and night.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, formula should be good for momma, even if not stricktly necessary. (unless its Hartz brand - this brand is of uneven quality).
Formula is mild so it shouldnt upset her stomach by itself.
If you wish to give her supplement goat milk is mild (much safer and better than cow milk), and is cheaper than kmr.

Ok, so momma is heterozygot for tabby, thus lets expect 2 lynxes, two non lynxes.... Both parents may carry the dilute gene, so someone kitten or two could be blue.../ blue LYNX Otherwise they will be seal or seal lynx.

Last edited:

Laurenjayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,
Kittens are now 17 days old, trying to walk and looking different everyday now!
So mum had them in a small box that she chose and so we have left her in there but as of the last few days I've noticed her and the kittens had such little space that they will struggling to feed or find the nipple as they were bigger of course taking up more space!
I've just bought and moved her into a bigger area a nice fabric crate and I've made sure it's still covered etc as she likes but worried it will upset her and result in her not wanting to go in there feed them.
So far she seems okay I've put them in there with the same blanket for smell but apart from leaving them in a tiny area I didn't have any other options.

Do you think she will be okay and that I'm just worrying over nothing 😊

Laurenjayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She spent all night with them so seems pretty happy, she is having more breaks away from them in the day but mainly because she wants to sit with us and get love ❤
She is just realising she gave birth to cats too now they are moving a little haha
Photo of mum and babies ❤

Attachments

Laurenjayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And some very nosy babies, can't tell.colours yet but can tell some are different and darker than others so only time will tell 😊

Attachments

Laurenjayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello kittens are 3 weeks old today! Is there a way to upload videos to posts here? They are all so adorable and so different too!
Weights are currently
Between 370 and 407g
Smallest is the only girl ❤

Laurenjayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully this works ❤

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And some very nosy babies, can't tell.colours yet but can tell some are different and darker than others so only time will tell 😊
If you notice they differ in color, so some are prob seal the others dilute, ie blue. Lynxes tend to be darker but I dont think this will be visible yet, when its not even visible whom are lynxes... 2 of four is the statistical probable, but the numbers arent ironclad... May even be none.

Ps. Dad helping with grooming is nice - and quite common. This is not necessarily because he is the biological dad, a tom / stud whom is a good friend to momma may too do this.
Cats are almost as humans in this aspect.

Laurenjayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you notice they differ in color, so some are prob seal the others dilute, ie blue. Lynxes tend to be darker but I dont think this will be visible yet, when its not even visible whom are lynxes... 2 of four is the statistical probable, but the numbers arent ironclad... May even be none.

Ps. Dad helping with grooming is nice - and quite common. This is not necessarily because he is the biological dad, a tom / stud whom is a good friend to momma may too do this.
Cats are almost as humans in this aspect.
Not sure whether you can tell from the video the differences. Orange is the darkest I think he is seal (not sure about lynx) and the others look more blue but again so hard to tell!

Laurenjayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello.
Little update kittens are 4 weeks in a couple of days, life is manic kittens are crazy roaming everywhere.
Have restricted there space for safety as they are obviously very small and vulnerable.
Mum has just realised she gave birth to tiny cats too 😆
All playing, running and climbing so the peace is officially over haha!
Mum always has kitten wet and dry food down so kittens can explore as they feel ready but not expecting it yet although they do have a look.
Here's yellow who is the most confident and biggest boy and actually the one I cannot make out the colour as he's so white with little shading so I'm thinking he may be a lynx.
❤

Attachments

Laurenjayne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question regarding feeding.
I'm guessing it's normal for mum to be feeding them with longer space between?
Weights are good considering they were all born between 75g and 80g and all have reached over 1 pound apart from the girl who was 436g yesterday so not far off and still need to weigh today.
Mum talks to them loads, so much so she goes and wakes them up and then leaves again 🙈
What is the average they should go between feeds as I know 2 hours when little?