New kit sick?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Susan, I just feel a fool! But it is incredible how much smaller one is than his brother.

I have cut down on the milk, but I wonder if it is too many changes in their diet. I have been trying to give them things they like to make them eat as much as possible, and as a result they have had several kinds of wet cat food, cooked chicken and chicken livers, egg and of course goats milk. So I think I will just keep to one kind, now that the danger from actual starvation is past.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be with all the different foods?, because i remember when Sophie was a kitten, she was given a dewormer which made her stools runny, but i was giving her different things to eat such as fish and chicken thinking it was helping her tummy, but then giving her some wet, then dry food.

The surgery told me to just stick with the one which is what i did and after a couple of days her tummy settled down.

They told me just to keep her on water as well because i was giving her the kitten milk, again thinking i was doing some good
But it's all about learning isn't it.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! We will stick to the Whiskas Junior for a few days and see what happens. I don't think they are sickening for something, as htey are both trying to catch a fly on the window right now, and being very active! I got some new pix as I found some batteries:

Kitten 1 ( the bigger one)

The smaller one

(Ignore the date - I forgot to set the camera) What can I name these guys? Part of me says 'don't' but I can't keep calling them 1 and 2.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwww look at them!
They certainly look ok?!, aww but looking in their eyes it's as if their wondering whats going to happen next?!

The first names that came into my head was "Jack and Joe"

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, thank you for the update! Don't feel bad about not knowing they were boys.
They were pretty well a mess when you found them, and when a body is starving it will deplete anything it doesn't really need. And they didn't really *need* "those".

For names, I see the bigger one as "Cyrano" because of his pronouced little nose.
And the little one I see "Ash" because of the bits of grey on his head.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather than giving them milk which could be causing the runny stools my vet has said its ok to give them some cottage cheese (i'm don't know if that's what its called by you???) I mashed it up a bit with a fork and added a tiny bit of water. Also he said plain yogurt -most likely the highest calorie stuff would be the best. You probably can't get any kitten weaning formula as that is really nutritous. I will think of names for you too!!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Just to let you all know, when I say milk I do not give them cows milk but goat, which is generally OK for cats and I have brought up several kittens on it as I can't get KMR here. I also give cats yoghurt, which they usually like.

This morning they are fine, and have eaten the bowl of Whiskas I left overnight. One of them seems to have good BMs now, the other is still a bit soft, I am not sure yet which one. They are very active and noisy . I gave the smaller one another bath last night as he really was still very dirty and stinky, especially his feet, and he looks much better now. He settled down very well on my lap for a good rub with warm towels, and purred. I hope it will act as an incentive to his own cleaning powers, though it was probably too much for him in his state - he could barely lift his legs to clean them properly a few days ago.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when I got Bakker last November (I just looked at the pictures) what condition he was in-skinny, groopy eye.... he didn't groom himself much at all for I bet for the 1st month or two either (maybe its a male thing??) Good to read that there is some progress.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so relieved to hear the little one especially is doing better. Keeping my fingers crossed!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenny, they seem to be doing so much better. Bless your heart for doing all of this for them!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhhh Jenny they are so sweet, glad to hear they are doing better. That's what I'm up against I don't want to name these 3 babies but I don't want to give them up either. Its very hard when you have them for longer then a minute

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have given in and named them. It just came to me yesterday - they are named after two great European generals. The big one is Wellington, because of his big nose and his leadership, plus his great affection for human ladies (
) and the small one is Napoleon, who was also short in stature, but who made himself appear much bigger than he was. And it is the little one who puffs himself up and dances sideways at any imagined threat! And Wellington beat Napoleon, which is what is happening here when they playfight!

I was still worried about Napoleon yesterday as he just sat and watched while his brother played with a host of toys, but this morning I have released them both into the living room while my girls are out and they have discovered the toybox! Both of them are going mad, taking out one toy mouse or ball after another and jumping all over the room. The cat dancer on the back of the door was great fun too. They have both discovered their kittenhood.

But I can't keep them - no luck on homes as yet, I have everyone asking.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww Jenny love the names!

And Sophie used to jump sideways at Rosie when she was a kitten so i know how funny that looks
Oh but i would have loved to see them with the girls and the toybox!, they must have thought it was brilliant bless them

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington is making a 'stash' of toys under a chair. So far he has 3 stuffed mice, a feathered ball and a little car on wheels. I am not sure what he intends to do with them. Napoleon is playing with a mouse, growling all the time, which he tends to do as he eats too.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww couldn't you watch them for hours when their like that!

Oh Sophie growls at her toys as well, even now!
It's as if she's annoyed at them?!, but she sounds like a little lion cub

trixshar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful to hear their health and spirits are up to the point of playing like the kittens they are. I have 5 white cats, so I relate to this little couple.
Also, at least two of them had some gray fur on their heads when young and are now all white. So your initially-all-gray kittens my becaome all white, too.